FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: baitcaster uses?  (Read 12595 times)

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
baitcaster uses?
« on: Jun 28, 2013, 11:58 PM »
I've been fishing my whole life and have fiddled with the baitcasters here and there, but still cannot figure out an actual advantage it holds over a spinning reel. I have a pfluger baitcaster but would never use it at night in fear of a birdnest, but maybe I dont use it enough. I feel they should make the reel on the left side instead of the right, is this considered backwards? I know there's a ton of guys that swear by them and I'd love to hear some opinions about they're benefits before I pick up another one.
done dirt cheap!

Dispy

Re: baitcaster uses?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2013, 05:07 AM »
Pro's for baitcasters: To employ certain line dragging techniques having the reel on top and in-line with the your bait allows you to feel bottom more easily. Long distance casts are easier. Top water "twitches" are easier to perform with a slight downward motion. For me, more rod/lure control is important, hooksets are faster while vertical jigging. To effectively use a baitcaster it is recommended that the angler be higher than the water and in a standing position. Eg: Casting decks vs. sitting on the bench seats of a smaller low profile boat. Not impossible to master but more of a deterrent for the frustrated backlashed angler.  The list goes on.........

Most people have a difficult time while using baitcasters because they often do not "set" their center magnets properly. By doing so, backlashes become non existant. Each time a different lure size is attached, the angler should adjust the magnet controls to allow for fluent casting. Reel the lure to the rod tip, then slowly release the magnet until your bait drops slowly and smoothly for a distance of 18".

Another mistake anglers make and probably the largest contributor to backlashing is their choice in rod sizes and tip action. To try and cast a 1/4 ounce bait with a medium heavy rod is going to create problems. A fast action medium light is more appropriate. I will not use lures that are under 1/4 ounce with a baitcaster, spinning gear is more practical.
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

chez

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2013, 07:52 AM »
DISPY. YOU SUMMED IT UP PERFECT.The only thing I can add is,most guys buy a baitcaster ,have a few backlasses and get fed up with it,then put it in the corner and never use it again.The more you use it and get use to it,the quicker you will see its advantages.Take 2 rods with you try to use the baitcaster atleast half the time and your spinning set up the second half.Once you start catching fish on the baitcaster you will be hooked.Its totally diferent.I find the hook setting power is much better on a baitcaster.I use braid line,i think that helps with the backlash a lot too.Hope I was some help.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Eventually you get comfortable to the point where you can set the magnets and spool breaking system low and a little finesse of the thumb will stop the backlash

ClearCreek

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2013, 01:26 PM »

Most people have a difficult time while using baitcasters because they often do not "set" their center magnets properly. By doing so, backlashes become non existant. Each time a different lure size is attached, the angler should adjust the magnet controls to allow for fluent casting. Reel the lure to the rod tip, then slowly release the magnet until your bait drops slowly and smoothly for a distance of 18".

You don't need to set the magnetic or centrifugal braking system each time you change lures.  That is what the casting control knob is for.  It usually sets under the reeling handle.  Adjust the tension with this knob so your lure drops slowly and you are good to go.  You set the braking system so it works for you and then the casting control knob for the weight of the lure you are using.

A little practice and you will get the hang of it and the spinning reel will be used for only the lighted lures.

ClearCreek

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Only time I use my spinning rod anymore is for live bait.

Dispy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:09 PM »
You don't need to set the magnetic or centrifugal braking system each time you change lures.  That is what the casting control knob is for.  It usually sets under the reeling handle.  Adjust the tension with this knob so your lure drops slowly and you are good to go.  You set the braking system so it works for you and then the casting control knob for the weight of the lure you are using.

A little practice and you will get the hang of it and the spinning reel will be used for only the lighted lures.

ClearCreek
What reel are you using specifically? Cause your statement should be reviewed. You are speaking of the very same thing known as the "magnetic brake." All bait casting reels have them and yes, they are in fact, centrifugal clutches.   Learn your Newton's Laws ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Lundin-loading

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:20 PM »
The magnetic brake on my bass pro reel is the 1-10 numbered dial on the right hand side of the reel. Inside the case of the reel is the centrifugal braking system that you can adjust to your liking, but is not feasible to do for every lure change. On the left hand side of my reel is the knurled casting control knob that is used to mechanically tighten down on the spindle of the spool, that is what you use to adjust the free spool depending on lure weight. To be clear, mine is a left hand retrieve model, so the magnetic adjustment and control knob would be on opposite sides of what i described on the right hand retrieve models.
Beauty

Dispy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:24 PM »
The magnetic brake on my bass pro reel is the 1-10 numbered dial on the right hand side of the reel. Inside the case of the reel is the centrifugal braking system that you can adjust to your liking, but is not feasible to do for every lure change. On the left hand side of my reel is the knurled casting control knob that is used to mechanically tighten down on the spindle of the spool, that is what you use to adjust the free spool depending on lure weight. To be clear, mine is a left hand retrieve model, so the magnetic adjustment and control knob would be on opposite sides of what i described on the right hand retrieve models.
Right or left , it does not matter but the principles are the same ;)

gundogwanted

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2013, 05:36 AM »
Found this from an old forum "fishing talks" I was saving with the same questions.

I'll agree that a lot of it has to do with the expertise of the person using the baitcaster (not so much with a spinning reel), but I guarantee that a good baitcaster will cast a 1/2 oz crankbait *much* farther than a spinning reel, with both using the same weight of line (10# monofilament).

At 1/4 oz, it's pretty close, but above that it's no contest.  I thought that there was no way a baitcaster could outcast a spinning reel at any weight under 1 oz. But, since I started using baitcasters, I have learned different.

The big difference is in the mechanics of the line and how the 2 kinds of reels handle it. With a baitcaster, the spool turns as the line goes out. This means that you have to do more work, at the beginning of the cast, to get the spool spinning. But, once it is spinning, it has its own angular inertia, and it takes little or no tension on the line to keep it spinning. In fact, this is the cause of the dreaded backlash. Also, since the line unrolls off the spool, it goes straight out through the guides, with a minimum of friction, which is why casting rods have small guides.

With a spinning reel, the line falls off the end of the spool. This means that it takes very little effort to start the line coming off the spool, which is the reason that spinning reels excel at casting very light lures. This slight pull to get line off the spool actually increases as the line pays out and the spool gets emptier. The new long-cast spools minimize this effect by using a long, shallow spool, instead of a short, deep one.

The other problem with spinning reels is that when the line comes off the spool fast, it makes a big loop between the spool and the first guide. If there were no guides or rod, that loop would be even bigger. But, the guides have to keep the line from hitting the rod, so that loop must be squeezed down so that it passes through the guides. That is why the guides on a spinning rod start out very large and taper down to the same size as a casting rod at the tip.

When you cast a spinning rod, you can hear the line going through the guides. This sound tells you that there is a lot of frictin between the line and the guide. This friction is constant througout the cast and is what limits the ultimate effective casting distance for *any* spinning rod/reel.. Of course, the problem also gets worse as the stiffness of the line goes up with heavier lines.

This effect is virtually non-existant for baitcasting reels. When you cast a baitcaster, there is no such noise, unless you are using braided line. The only noise with a biatcaster is the noise made by the centrifugal or magnetic casting brake inside the reel. That drag is both controlled and adjustable. An expert at baitcasters can set the brakes at a minimum setting and easily cast much farther than with a spinning reel. If, like me, you need to crank up the brakes to prevent backlashes, the advantage is reduced, but not eliminated altogether.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

dagfish

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Baitcaster with braid is great for feeling light pickup when fishing tubes/senkos in the weeds.  I can put the line between my thumb and finger and feel the bite, I can't do that with a spinning rod.

dagfish 

ClearCreek

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Dispy - what he said!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2013, 12:42 PM »
I agree 2X

Casting a baitcaster requires pratice, practice and more practice.
You will eventually get the feel for your particular rod-n-reel set up.

I use braid on just about every reel. It has virtually no stretch and allows me to sense each and every bite as well as differentiate between a fish bite and some weeds on the line. It also gives you a little more strength to pull large fish from weed beds.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Dispy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Dispy - what he said!
I did not mean to come across so strong, my apologies :) In fact I remember using a few baitcasters that had the separate knob for adjusting the brake magnet such as this >>>http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm I also remember that they were usually a PIA and now only use a single spool adjustment knob reel.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2013, 06:47 PM »
One of my baitcasters has the spool tension, magnets then another knob in the middle of the magnet control for the clutches and my other has spool tension, magnets and a switch on the bottom for the clutches

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.