FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wellsley Island Fishing??????  (Read 6915 times)

piscesman

Wellsley Island Fishing??????
« on: Aug 08, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Heading up to WI in 2 weeks. Wondering how the fishing has been up there. I don't have my 14' fishing boat but my 18' does get me around. I can drift fish or anchor. Looking to catch anything as I am on vacation. Don't need your honey holes, just general info. Heck last year after drifting down from Lake of the Isles I fished in a very busy section with tour boats. Needless to say the captains were not pleased where I was when they came through. I was just fishing where the fish were. LOL... Thanks ahead for any info...............
      Kim :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
Re: Wellsley Island Fishing??????
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Going up there ourselves from the 17-25. Bringing my kayak...and some bait

joefish1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2013, 05:27 AM »
Heading up to WI in 2 weeks. Wondering how the fishing has been up there. I don't have my 14' fishing boat but my 18' does get me around. I can drift fish or anchor. Looking to catch anything as I am on vacation. Don't need your honey holes, just general info. Heck last year after drifting down from Lake of the Isles I fished in a very busy section with tour boats. Needless to say the captains were not pleased where I was when they came through. I was just fishing where the fish were. LOL... Thanks ahead for any info...............
      Kim :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

If you fished where you were in the path of the tour boats, you were not in the Lake of the Isles.  Also you might have been on the wrong side of the border.

choo choo

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I fished up there twice in the past 2 weeks...south end of wellsley and the tiny islands and marked shoals beteen wellsley and grindstone. Had a blast catching  lots of pike ....22 to 35 inches on jigs and heavy casting spoons...down 10 to 25 feet. Some nice smallmouth there too...some a little deeper.good luck and have fun.
I'm fishing my way through life .

piscesman

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I was in american waters. At end of Wellsley Island. an American flag at the last camp. once you go there and come around the island you can see heart Island and Bolt Castle. I do not go to Canadian waters
anymore after with the reports I heard last year. we have our passports but don't want to by Canadian license when there's so much to fish in the good o'le USA. thanks for the tips on pike and bass
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2013, 04:46 PM »
I was in american waters. At end of Wellsley Island. an American flag at the last camp. once you go there and come around the island you can see heart Island and Bolt Castle. I do not go to Canadian waters
anymore after with the reports I heard last year. we have our passports but don't want to by Canadian license when there's so much to fish in the good o'le USA. thanks for the tips on pike and bass

I wasn't aware that one could buy a Canadian license. I wish we could buy a United States license. ;D
Pete Lewis

piscesman

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2013, 01:26 PM »
You can buy online or while in Canada. Just have to make sure where you are fishing at which side of border. Onlt one pole per person allowed in Canada. Strictly enforced. Also if you are just cruising the waterways you have to call to let them know you may go inti their waters. Passport with you too.
      Kim
      author unknown

eyedoktr

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2013, 01:35 PM »
I wasn't aware that one could buy a Canadian license. I wish we could buy a United States license. ;D
You can buy online or while in Canada. Just have to make sure where you are fishing at which side of border. Onlt one pole per person allowed in Canada. Strictly enforced. Also if you are just cruising the waterways you have to call to let them know you may go inti their waters. Passport with you too.
      Kim

I know you can buy a license for each province like we can for each state but you said a Canadian license which led me to believe it covered all of Canada.
Pete Lewis

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:08 PM »

you can also show your enhanced drivers licence which allows you to cross the border , cheaper and takes way less time to get

Irish Jigger

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2013, 09:36 PM »
I've always had good luck anchoring in a nice bay or and floating a chub  and casting rattle traps. The red colors produced best for us, red and the reddish brown , crawdad type patterns. We also did well night fishing for catfish. I would take a chub and cut it up the belly and fish it on the bottom near a nice drop off. We got some pigs in the 20lb range. Good luck.

piscesman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Anyone fish under the big bridge for Walleyes??? Years ago when the "hot spot maps" were new they detailed spots for certain fish species. With the invaders I'm sure it has all been changed. Last years first time in about 15 years. Thanks.
      Kim :flag:
      author unknown

crl1970

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2013, 08:41 AM »
I have been fishing around Wellesley Island quite a bit this year.  I normally troll have have hit some nice walleyes and northerns.. I even got a smaller muskie this year.  Trolling at 30 was doing the trick but last weekend I got skunked :(

piscesman

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2013, 06:58 AM »
I can't really troll with my big boat. Not set up to do that. It's either drift or anchor. Most my fish last year came from 30'+ of water. Maybe I'll try jigging. Can't hurt. Just praying for good weather and calm winds............ Thanks for the help.
      Kim
      author unknown

fishfighter

• The one that got away is always bigger!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2013, 09:07 AM »
We're heading up there ourselves in two weeks, not looking for anyone's honeyholes either, just want to know if the fishing has been hot or cold.  Good luck up there. FF

piscesman

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2013, 06:07 AM »
I'll let you know how we did while up there. Can post info from my cell phone. Staying from 24th - 30th......
      Kim
      author unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.