FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wellsley Island Fishing??????  (Read 6918 times)

chrony59

Re: Wellsley Island Fishing??????
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2013, 12:37 PM »
was up there a couple weeks ago ................ if you fish in canadian water you need a fishing card ($10.00)and you can buy a seasonal or short term licenses ! I got mine through the 1000 island bait store .........did it on line and license was waiting when I got there !! We could not keep the smallies off our eye rigs !!! We caught 3 eyes ......... two went 4.5 lbs and one just over 8 lbs. it was awesome fishing ..............

crl1970

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Fished over the weekend and caught some bass trolling in 30 feet.  Lost something very big just off Deer Island when my line broke  :'( .  The walleye and northerns have slowed down quite a bit for me from a few weeks ago.  It appears that the charter boats have been getting some drifting minnows.   I am in search of really large fish and I hope to do better next weekend.

crl1970

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 PM »
On another note.. I read a lot of larger fish on my Hummingbird in 80 - 120 feet suspended at 30 or 40 feet.  Any idea what those are??? I trolled those areas for a little while but had no luck.

joefish1

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2013, 05:00 AM »
Some of them could be catfish.  Have seen them stack up like that this time of year.  Drop a jig down with a worm on and wait for a tug.

piscesman

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2013, 07:07 PM »
I checked the forecast for the week. Looks "good to go" on the water. The wind is considerably less than last year plus perfect summer temps. A guy my wife and I met fishes for perch up there. He had 10 nice ones on the stringer. Said it was a lousy day as he usually brings back 15+.  WOW!!! I was shocked as I never thought the 1,000 Islands were a perch haven. I guess you have to investigate all. I still remember the spot where he said he caught them. Also gave us his bait as he was going back home that day. We did not catch anything there but did around the next island. Have to remember last year there was a constant 15 mph wind for 4 days straight. Very brutal. Just have to be careful of the shoals and check for drop-offs. Here's to some "catching".............
     Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

crl1970

« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Hopefully the fishing will pick up for me :)

chrony59

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Hopefully the fishing will pick up for me :)

me too , headed up tomorrow for Friday evening Saturday morning fishing ......................... looking for eyes !!

piscesman

« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I would love to hook up with some eyes. I have some ideas where. Just have to get there. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. Will probably be going deep 25'+ near shoals. In the 1,000 Islands that is every 200'!!!!!!! Ha Ha. As said previously I have "Hot Spots" maps from the 1990's. They may not be good for the species intended but show the drop-offs and shoals. Can't hurt. Definitely helped me last year. Tight Lines too all.................
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

piscesman

« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Finally made it out. One fish 18", 4# smallie. Wife boated 15" one. Lost another(wife) that broke line at hook.Probably big smallie. Only problem so far was the minnows I purchased at Woody's before you reach the park's boundries. Bought 1 dozen bass minnows last night. ALL dead by am. Attribitted it to thermo shock. Bought another this am. One died within an hour. In original water. Changed water after 2 hours. 3 more died. I told him this am what happened. Didn't seem to give a darn. I even said it may have been my fault but no concern to him. I was just a number to him. Won't ever go back!!! I purchased the same minnows from 1,000 Island Bait before I came over the bridge. Guess what 1 dead!!! All the rest are still healthy. Combo of bass and perch bair. Weather fantadtic either way....
      Kim
      author unknown

joefish1

« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2013, 05:01 AM »
Did you have an air aerator in your small minnow bucket and cool water ?

choo choo

« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2013, 05:16 PM »
I would love to hook up with some eyes. I have some ideas where. Just have to get there. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. Will probably be going deep 25'+ near shoals. In the 1,000 Islands that is every 200'!!!!!!! Ha Ha. As said previously I have "Hot Spots" maps from the 1990's. They may not be good for the species intended but show the drop-offs and shoals. Can't hurt. Definitely helped me last year. Tight Lines too all.................
      Kim
hi piscesman...fished south end and south of wellesley yesterday ( wednesday)...we found nice smallies, and a bonus walleye jigging deep...30 to 45 fow..rocky bottom .. mid-day...with and without current moving. Northerns were a little shallower near shoals and weeds.

I'm fishing my way through life .

piscesman

« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Nice fish. Hit some decent northerns just to the right of the marina before you hit Canada. One pike today. Blind in one eye. Filletted it and will see how it tastes. Had crayfish in belly. When I threw the remains in dumpster a 25" monster walleye was in there all cleaned to the bone. As for the bait I have a minnow bucket that goes in the water so you don't need aerator.
      Kim
      author unknown

piscesman

« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I tried the pike. Made patties and ate fillets. I'm a pike eater now. The patties were very easy to make. Once the patties were made I put them in the freezer For 15 minutes. Just enough to harden the shell. I was then able to dip them in egg and put on the breading. Turned out excellent And could not Feel any bones. The boneless fillets were excellent too. I did Stumble Upon probably the best live bait you will ever use up there. The fish smashed the bait with a vengeance.
Kim
      author unknown

fishfighter

• The one that got away is always bigger!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 13, 2013, 08:15 AM »
Just got back from the St Lawrence, we fished all the way from Lake of the Isles to just beyond Alexandria Bay anywhere from 5-40 feet of water.  Boated some decent fish, the longest being a 31 inch pike (very skinny)  The heaviest fish was a pike that was around 30 inches, close to 8 pounds.  Very windy with a good amount of bass. 

choo choo

« Reply #29 on: Sep 13, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Good job fish fighter...glad you found some fish up there..it is a real nice area to fish.
I'm fishing my way through life .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.