FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trophy size for brown trout on the salmon river  (Read 3790 times)

fishkiller007

Trophy size for brown trout on the salmon river
« on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Fished the Douglaston yesterday and did pretty good. Caught 6 kings and 1 brown trout. The brown trout was 28 inches and weighed 11 pounds. Is this considered trophy size. Also the salmon I kept was 42 inches 36 pounds. Is this trophy size.
Don't fear the fish

dmntd169

Re: Trophy size for brown trout on the salmon river
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:08 PM »
defiantly on the king...the brown would be a bit above average for LO...at the end of the day though a trophy is whatever you consider it to be  ;D
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

fishgalore

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Fished the Douglaston yesterday and did pretty good. Caught 6 kings and 1 brown trout. The brown trout was 28 inches and weighed 11 pounds. Is this considered trophy size. Also the salmon I kept was 42 inches 36 pounds. Is this trophy size.

Male or female on the Brown? I'd rather have the hook jaw.........just sayin'! Nice fish on both accounts.........King and or Queen?

perch-hound

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Those are both nice fish Killer, Congrats! I have seen browns above 20lbs on occasion, caught one just shy of 22#'s years ago.
Big male, I tossed it back, another guy throws a hook in it's arse, takes it up over the bank to the fish station.
I happened to follow him up, that's how I know what it weighed, guys pleaded with him not to filet it,
he wanted to eat it so they put the knife to it. :sick: :sick:
A 36# king is a great king, one year we won the old ESLO (I think) salmon derby that they held in Pulaski every fall with
a 37# male we caught up by 2A bridge, got a nice travel camper, and other prizes for it. So, even back then a 36 was a great fish!
Again, congrats! :clapping: :clapping:

Centerpindrew

• "In the FACEEE!!"
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Congrats on both..

rakerdave

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Sound like a good time . Both are nice trophies .Till you catch one bigger .

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Definitely on the king... The brown as said right around average...Personally I wouldn't have a brown mounted from the fall run unless it was a male and 18+ ... I caught a 20 lb female a couple years ago was a nice fish but just didn't have that big ole kipe....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2013, 06:12 PM »
as perch hound said great king ,that is a good one ,  I have mounted smaller fish due to different reasons color, shape, kipe ,fight etc and tossed much bigger ones back , mounting doesn't have to be all about size ,

fishkiller007

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Yeah it was a female. It was the biggest fish of my life. The hardest part was hiking it from the bottom of DSR all the way to the parking lot. We weighed it at the Fish on cleaning station.
Don't fear the fish

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »

well done on your personal best lake run brown FK007

steelie1975

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Am i missing something, Doesn't the DSR have a Catch and release on all trout species? Either way great king, And a trophy is what it means to you, but yes it is a slight above average Lake o brown, Good job Either way. Yep from there website

Catch and Release Policy

As in the past, official DSR policy is 100% catch and release for ALL trout species and Atlantic salmon.

Our staff will aid anglers with fish ID and proper catch and release techniques.

We hope all experienced DSR fishermen will continue to educate daily anglers with proper species identification.
Steelieslayer

steelie1975

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Wasn't jacking thread was just informing people.
Steelieslayer

fishkiller007

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Yeah the DSR has a no trout kept policy. You used to be able to keep trout. Its probably a good thing that DSR has done this unless you catch a monster and you have to release it.
Don't fear the fish

vogel451

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Congrats on your new PB Brown :tipup:
-Mclovin out

peasy207

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Let's see a pic!!!  that must've been one fat king, I got one in the dsr last year he was 44" and only went 26#

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.