FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye Jigging Rods  (Read 12208 times)

robbi

Walleye Jigging Rods
« on: Oct 23, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I know there are probably two opinions for every person......but, want to buy a good jigging rod for my fiance'.  We haven't jigged much and we need to start to open up more ways to catch eyes.  I want to make sure that she can "feel" everything that is happening so that she doesn't get bored with jigging and write it off as a waste of time. 

OK.......give me some suggestions.........thinking that $150 might be my limit on the price.

OTIS

Re: Walleye Jigging Rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I personally do not think it’s a matter of price, but the type of rod (length, action, tip, etc…).  I love one piece long rods for jigging; however they are not very practical when it comes to stuffing them into a vehicle.  I have six jigging rods ranging from 6’8” to 7’6”, most are medium heavy with a very fast tip.  They range in price from $30 to stupid, and only one has been purchased in the last five years.  I have the same reel on all six jigging rods (insert favorite reel here).  However I have different line on four of the six.  I split them into two categories, shallow water (0-20 feet), and deep water (20 + feet).  The combination of rod and line will allow you to get the most “feel” for your money.  The rods I use the most are two (1980 era) Fenwick 6’8” one piece rods, and the Cortland 7’6” ($30!) one piece rod.  The two Fenwicks have 6# Filreline and 4# Trilene mono for shallow water, and the Cortland has 8# Suffix 832 for deep water.  I use either a 4# or 10# floral leader with the Fireline and Suffix. 8)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Thanks Otis.........just the type feedback I was looking for.........

MBrown4

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2013, 06:45 AM »
St croix eyecon was what I was going to get.ended up with the avid.both great rods but the weight and sensitivity was a noticeable difference. The eyecons are built on the premier blanks but have better hardware and the split grip lightens the butt.also it is a very comfortable rod to hold all day. I know okuma makes some walleye specific rods but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on any of them

riot609

• best time to fish when its rainin & when it aint!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2013, 01:22 PM »
St croix eyecon was what I was going to get.ended up with the avid.both great rods but the weight and sensitivity was a noticeable difference. The eyecons are built on the premier blanks but have better hardware and the split grip lightens the butt.also it is a very comfortable rod to hold all day. I know okuma makes some walleye specific rods but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on any of them
love the eyecon rods my fav rod is ECS66MLF2 Jig-N-Rig 6'6" 2 piece matched w/pflueger supreme 9230xt, run power-pro with flor-o leader, not sure why but this length and action just felt better than the rest for me.

MBrown4

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2013, 02:38 PM »
My buddy uses the same but in one piece and suffux 832.i run a daiwa aird with daiwa samurai braid.braid is pricey but worth it in my opinion

riot609

• best time to fish when its rainin & when it aint!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2013, 03:50 PM »
 i also have the 7' one piece rigging rod i use running harness during a drift its a fine rod and has great feel and action. i have caught many fish that were making light strikes at a rig, and knowing i need to grab that rod, where other rods i use for this technique haven't given me that sight of those light strikes, when the rods in the holder.

robbi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for the input guys........I'm slowly getting it narrowed down, right now looking closely at the Eyecon, 6'6" one piece........and this one https://www.grandtrods.com/index.php?route=checkout/cart.  These custom rods are nice and he'll repair them for any reason.........

But still looking, I've got a while before I have to buy.......so not in a hurry........looking for myself as well as my fiance'........so maybe one of each......I've got the reel for the rod already, went with the Pflueger President........6930 and will probably go with Fireline.......Trying to give her every advantage I can. 

Any more suggestions are welcomed.........I'm thinking of ordering some Fuzz E Grubs..........good jig?  I've got the standard ball and some whistlers.........just want a good arsenal to choose from come spring......

MBrown4

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I never really liked the fireline besides the crystal. I had the fibers separate and its very stiff to me even after a few uses but to each his own. For me it goes
1. Daiwa samurai
2.suffix 832
3.power pro super slick
4.fire line crystal
5.power pro

robbi

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Thanks MBrown.......I'll take a closer look at the lines.  I'm also new to braid and currently only have used power pro on some trolling rods and a rod used for trout fishing in creeks.  I'll research and see what I come up with.

Anyone else have preferences on lines?

chrony59

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2013, 12:24 PM »
 I just went to power pro(with Floro leader) this year for jigging eyes ............... love it ! I also bought a Fenwick 6'6" Walleye jigging rod that also works great !!

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I use 2 ctr cortland 7.5' med. light for bucktails and a signature 7' med for blades , and i use the ctr's  for night shore casting late fall , and I also use PP with a trans optic leader

robbi

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Well for the first rod of our new jigging outfits I went with the Eyecon 6'6" one piece.  Looked at it in the store......and it's a nice rod.  For $100 it's worth the try.  While in the store I looked at the Legend Tournament Walleye rods...........Sweet.....!!  But, I have to think about $240 for a rod...........have the winter to think it over though......

Thanks for everyones input!  It's much appreciated when making these types of choices.

robbi

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Ok, so I'm in the store I do a lot of shopping for my fishing equipment.  I see they have a St Croix Legend marked down from $225, to $199.  I'm looking at it and one the salesmen I know pretty well, says......hey, if you wait until the Saturday following Black Friday, anything that has a sale sticker on it is going to be an additional 25% off.  Well that now makes this rod, a 6'6" one piece $150.  Well you can bet that right after the morning hunt I was in there getting that rod......so now we have two new jigging rods for spring.  I think I'll pair this rod with a Purist reel.......and Suffix braid.......

MBrown4

« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Nice score!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.