FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vertical Jig Fishing  (Read 34209 times)

Able2fish

Re: Vertical Jig Fishing
« Reply #120 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Are you attaching some type of hair or fur to the jig?  I couldn't tell in the pic.  Nice mess looks tasty!!
Looking for Gillzilla!

stinkybaits

« Reply #121 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Are you attaching some type of hair or fur to the jig?  I couldn't tell in the pic.  Nice mess looks tasty!!

Threading one to two spikes on the hook like you would a tube bait. They were striking just the spike when nose hooking so we started threading them on instead. Worked out great. Still alot of short strikers that were skin hooked and fell off in the net.

sprkplug

« Reply #122 on: Oct 13, 2014, 06:41 PM »
This time of year I like to drop-shot for gills. 1/64 oz jigs tipped with spikes or a single waxworm.

stinkybaits

« Reply #123 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:41 AM »
Went fishing for my rod had a camera with me.. Had being the word. I kept it in a bag with the Go Pro inside the boat. Had to swing into a gas station to use restroom quick then went to lake. I looked over for the camera bag and noticed it missing. Maybe I had a senior moment and left it at home. Then I noticed the net missing too. I should of just chalked off the rod and been money ahead. Called the gas station thought maybe security cameras possibly caught it on tape. No cameras on that side of building. Lesson learned use the lockable storage! Fished for a bit from 10 to 2 ended up with some great gills and perch. Lindy Toad is working great.

princecraft

« Reply #124 on: Oct 17, 2014, 05:48 AM »
That is some real bad luck.  I hope somehow he gets caught and you get your stuff back.

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #125 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:49 AM »
I was fishing the same lake as Scott today. I had 23 of my own, no pics though.  Plus i took the fish pictured above.  Made for  one heck of a nice mess.  Thanks again for the fish, and for pointing me in the right direction. 

stinkybaits

« Reply #126 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Glad your enjoying the vertical jig fishing.

tater140

« Reply #127 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I may be out there saturday morning, let me know if anyone wants a boat ride.  I don't quite have the right rod and weight combination figured out just yet.  We have done well there at night in the past using lights.

stinkybaits

« Reply #128 on: Oct 18, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Tater the weight we use is a water gremlin pss2 pinch on split shot. Have had great success with a 1/2oz barrel weight then using a barrel swivel then a three foot leader. Jig wise one inch tubes 80th oz jig head. Tungsten ice jigs, size 14 lindy toads and lindy bugs. Tip with one or two spikes.  Rod wise I like a rod that loads up under the weight of the sinker slight to moderate bend in the blank kinda like loading a spring for ice fishing. I've never tried a stiffer style blank with the setup. Keep the front of the boat facing the wind assuming your trolling forward. Pulsing the power on and off you can get pretty good at keeping on the spot and after alot of practice it's second nature. Good luck!

stinkybaits

« Reply #129 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:40 AM »
It's that time of year again! Vertical fishing a fun way to put some fish in the boat and get your ice fishing skills tuned up. Without having to post the how to again just read through the original thread for how we do it. Fishslayer and I had some success last night and kept enough for him to fry up.

abishop

« Reply #130 on: Oct 05, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Nice mixed bag there. I didn't see any walters. Must not be any where you were fishing. GOOD JOB. Nice to have different tastes on the plate for dinner and not all the same. GOT TO LOVE IT...

princecraft

« Reply #131 on: Oct 05, 2015, 11:07 AM »
That locater must be a cheap one!  It doesn't show the name of the lake??  Nice mess you two got.

Daybreak

« Reply #132 on: Oct 05, 2015, 01:36 PM »
That locater must be a cheap one!  It doesn't show the name of the lake??  Nice mess you two got.
LOL  "name of the lake"!!!  That is priceless!!!  Fabulous pics and even better job.  Keep on them.  You can get your freezer full now and can stay home and watch the Hoosiers this winter instead of going out on the ice.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

stinkybaits

« Reply #133 on: Oct 05, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Oh no.... Ice my favorite time I'm one of those sick people  :tipup:

Daybreak

« Reply #134 on: Oct 05, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Oh no.... Ice my favorite time I'm one of those sick people  :tipup:
I think they might have medicine for that! ;D
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum