FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crayfish trapping  (Read 6997 times)

bigjoesfishing

Crayfish trapping
« on: Nov 07, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I want to get into trapping crayfish to eat in orange county ny. Any info on how to do it? Thanks. There is no info on the nys dec website....

FWCanoeFisher

Re: Crayfish trapping
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Crayfish trapping is easier than you think.  Depends on what kind of volume you're looking for, but typically, you have a funnel style trap with some sort of meat inside.

bigjoesfishing

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Crayfish trapping is easier than you think.  Depends on what kind of volume you're looking for, but typically, you have a funnel style trap with some sort of meat inside.
Ok thanks now I need to find if its legal in new York state

fishbone

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:34 PM »
it is legal but you need to buy a nys fishing license--good luck eating them ---not much for meat--but maybe good for flavor in like a chowder or some seafood type dish-maybe

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:24 AM »
You can make simple wire traps with a funnel neck for them to crawl in to or my son just took some old two liter bottles and cut part of the top off. Cut the lid portion off so the hole is big enough for them to crawl through. Reverse this portion and secure to bottom portion. Add bait such as meat, fish bones from your days catch or even dog food pieces. Good luck, they are worth it.

bigjoesfishing

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:50 AM »
You can make simple wire traps with a funnel neck for them to crawl in to or my son just took some old two liter bottles and cut part of the top off. Cut the lid portion off so the hole is big enough for them to crawl through. Reverse this portion and secure to bottom portion. Add bait such as meat, fish bones from your days catch or even dog food pieces. Good luck, they are worth it.
ok thanks. When's the best time of year to trap them?

bigjoesfishing

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2013, 08:51 AM »
it is legal but you need to buy a nys fishing license--good luck eating them ---not much for meat--but maybe good for flavor in like a chowder or some seafood type dish-maybe
ok thanks. I have a nys license.

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:01 AM »
 When's the best time of year to trap them?

Spring through summer.  By the way, if you use the two liter bottles for traps, poke a good number of holes in the bottom to let the water drain. Keeps them from being able to swim upwards and get out when you lift the trap from the water.

Clousseau

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Shiner traps work well. I catch crayfish quite often in them when I am trapping shiners.

Luckey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2014, 02:08 PM »
My father in law uses funnel wire trap with a can of catfood with hole punched in it.

ducksnbucks36

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Use some old Frazer burnt meat thaw it out let it get a little stanky put it in a regular fish trap you can buy at walmart and toss it in where you are cray fish trapping.   

gearheart

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Use the regular wire funnel minnow trap.  Walmart has them. With wire cutters or snips enlarge the holes in the ends where the critters will crawl in.  The minnow sized holes are too small.  Bait with whatever you have as mentioned above and you're good to go.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2014, 01:54 PM »
sportsman's warehouse and cabelas also sell traps specific to crayfish. kind of a box looking thing with a ramp leading up to the hole.

as far as bait goes, my favorite is the bones from barbecue flavored fried chicken. regular fried chicken works too, but the barbecue tends to bring them in faster.
the bones will last for much longer than most other baits because the crayfish can't eat them, they don't break down in the water, and they hold onto the scent for quite a long time. the longest i've had one last was a wing that lasted for a solid week before finally petering out.

plus you get to eat a batch of barbecue fried chicken before hand, which is always a plus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.