FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any ideas for lights on a Jon boat  (Read 6147 times)

bigjoesfishing

Any ideas for lights on a Jon boat
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Im looking for a setup not to expensive that I could hard wire to my Jon boat as lights almost like head lights. I have a 12' alumacraft Jon boat.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
Re: Any ideas for lights on a Jon boat
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:02 PM »
2 mag light flashlights duct taped to the front

bailey63

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:36 AM »
LED fog lights e bay some simple thinking on mounting brackets some wire a switch and a small 12 volt battery from radio shack . LED are low voltage so should not draw much on battery or go full size battery better option. I am going LED on my 22' for back and side lighting and even LED black lights.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

bigjoesfishing

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:48 AM »
LED fog lights e bay some simple thinking on mounting brackets some wire a switch and a small 12 volt battery from radio shack . LED are low voltage so should not draw much on battery or go full size battery better option. I am going LED on my 22' for back and side lighting and even LED black lights.
ok thanks great idea!

robbi

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Here's what I did...........

robbi

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Had a friend weld the bracket at the angle I needed.......then mounted to the boat.  I wired it directly to my 12 volt battery and put a switch inline........should work for you about the same with some modifications for your own boat.........

bigjoesfishing

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Had a friend weld the bracket at the angle I needed.......then mounted to the boat.  I wired it directly to my 12 volt battery and put a switch inline........should work for you about the same with some modifications for your own boat.........
it looks great! The only thing is I do not want to put holes in my boat I will try n figure out some way with a clamp or something.

bailey63

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Nice set up and clamping would be easy, with that style light bar. A little engineering and lwt her shine. ;D :o
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:20 PM »
great setup! i'm glad this subject came along cuz i'm looking to wire up my little jonboat as well, now that i've started catfishing at night.

this is gonna be one heck of a year...

rockbuster

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Need to do this for carp hunting. Good ideas thanks

robbi

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:44 PM »
None of the pics I posted showed that my lights have a quick disconnect plug.  I don't use them but a couple times a year....so I made them to go on and off as I need them.  Hence the wing nuts instead of regular.  Last year I put a new Terrova on and that interferes with the lights, so I'm going to have to do a little rearranging this year I suppose........

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:39 PM »
i did what robbi did but drilled one hole and mounted one of the same type lights to the top side of the bow

led would be better, but they didn't have them when i was adding them and only one is enough for me as a landing light and navigation light

the Wizard

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2014, 06:56 AM »
When I lived in Fla. we used to buy those shop lights that had the 12" or so reflector dome, then cut off the end of the cord and replace it with alligator clips [ to hook to the battery] and then we bought 100 watt 12 volt light bulbs that went in the same socket .   They were easy ,cheap , worked great and left little or no mark on the front of the boat.
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:25 AM »

Actually low amperage (current), not voltage.
They will still work on your 12VDC, if you buy the correct lights.

But otherwise, you are correct.
LED is the way to go.
Especially if you are going to run them for any appreciable amount of time and you have no main motor with an alternator putting the power back into the battery.

Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.