FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Multiple species and styles  (Read 5746 times)

Luckey

Multiple species and styles
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 03:36 PM »
It seems like every week I want to or do end up with new species or style to target.  I fly fish trout and warmwater, I spin fish trout, I spend time pond fishing bass, my father-in-law is into walleye so target those with him, and thinking about branching out more (carp, catfish, lake trout...). I think I just like to always learn something new.

Anyone else all over the board fishing? Or are you more focused on one species/style?

mt.redneck

Re: Multiple species and styles
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I fish any style and for anything that swims  ;D ;D ;D
God bless and tight lines!

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I've been lucky enough to live many places in my life that allowed me to vary fishing.  Trout has always been a constant since I was a little boy.  In the last few years though I've found walleye fishing and it's an obsession now.........of course with the by products of perch and pike........

rags57078

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:29 PM »
In my boat I always have rods rigged up for panfish , walleyes and bass
if you don't like the way I live don't watch me

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:15 PM »
You guys have it easy, I live on the coast so not only do I have all the fresh water, but I also have the saltwater! For the saltwater; I fish for stripers, bluefish (spinning, fly and surf; 3 different outfits) Flounder, fluke, sea bass, scup and Squeteague (some over lap with fresh water gear, but only some). Cod haddock and other "bottom" fish, I only need two out fits; one jigging and one bait. But now the real fun starts; (and cost) TUNA! I only chase the little one 300 lbs and under! A good (not great) outfit is around $1000... That's the spinning, then there are trolling (multiples) and I don't have one yet, but a 14wt fly rod is on my short list! I wish (not really) it was only fresh water...
Here is a YouTube of a 130 lb Bluefin Tuna I got on a Popper;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E00KdfvDKY

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:51 PM »
i straight up fish for bass...i do alot of open water tournaments and a ton of ice fishing in the winter months...i do like fishing the salt for striped bass and an occasional troll for salmon but bass is my deal
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I always have several rods set up for different fish...   I may start out fishing for bass and end up fishing for crappies or walleyes or something else..... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2014, 04:37 PM »
i'm one of those guys who fishes for anything that will bite; i can't imagine going to a body of water and saying "well, the bluegill are biting, but i'm here for bass, so that's just too bad." call me greedy, but unless i'm on a specific hot bite right then and there, i'm fishing for everything that wants to bite.

another thing to point out about my attitude towards fishing is that i don't think any fish is an inferior species. it's something that i struggle with here in Idaho where people throw carp and suckers up on the bank to rot because "they're trash fish". i hate to break it to you, but those are some of the more challenging fish in the ecosystem to target, and the only thing that's going to make them trash is when people leave them to rot on the shore and stink up the place.
if you or somebody else isn't going to eat a fish, then you have no business killing it.

MattyP123

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2014, 05:16 PM »
You guys have it easy, I live on the coast so not only do I have all the fresh water, but I also have the saltwater! For the saltwater; I fish for stripers, bluefish (spinning, fly and surf; 3 different outfits) Flounder, fluke, sea bass, scup and Squeteague (some over lap with fresh water gear, but only some). Cod haddock and other "bottom" fish, I only need two out fits; one jigging and one bait. But now the real fun starts; (and cost) TUNA! I only chase the little one 300 lbs and under! A good (not great) outfit is around $1000... That's the spinning, then there are trolling (multiples) and I don't have one yet, but a 14wt fly rod is on my short list! I wish (not really) it was only fresh water...
Here is a YouTube of a 130 lb Bluefin Tuna I got on a Popper;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E00KdfvDKY
WICKED PISSAH!  :laugh:
I just go with the seasons... Bass and occasionally walleye in the summer, smallies and perch in the fall, Ice fish a lot in the winter, and perch/crappie/gils in the spring.

smokey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:08 PM »
I tend to stay close to trout and salmon, but there isn't any style I prefer. I'm just as happy trolling for salmon in Ontario as I am picking tiny native brookies from a rocky stream that I can get across in one step, and pretty much anything imaginable in between.

But I also happen to live on a lake with great panfish, bass, and pickerel populations, so I dabble in that stuff a bit when I don't feel like working to hard.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:17 PM »
My rod rack resembles a golf bag, a different rod for every situation. I have many small tackle boxes set up for many different species too, grab and go!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Improvise, adapt....Overcome!  ;D

Boats are a floating tackle box. At least mine is. I'm ready....come what may!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Huck Finn

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:15 PM »
I mainly target Crappie, but that doesn't mean that's all I catch. The way I fish (trolling) I catch everything in the lake if I have the right color combination and speed.

I catch Black and White Crappie, Spotted and Largemouth Bass, Blue and Channel Catfish, White and Striped and Yellow Bass, Bluegill, and even some Hugh Jass Smallmouth Buffalo. All of these fish want to eat a little 2" soft plastic curly tail grub on a 1/16 oz. jig head with a #2 hook... and when the fishing is good I catch all of these fish in the same area and you never know what you're going to pull in next.

As a for instance, I caught all of the fish in the same area on the same day using the tackle described above:

When the fishing is good and the bite is hot my trips are interesting to say the least. I enjoy catching all of the different species but I'm really after the Crappie to take home for the table.

I am "hooked" on this method/presentation of fishing for the diversity of the catch and the excellent meat for the table.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day... give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.

Bigfish57

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:12 PM »
I try to fish for what ever is currently peaking. Ice out trolling, spawning bass, pike on emerging week lines Etc..
Anthony

pastaboy

• Bites don't feed the bulldog!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Hard water season: Gills, Crappie and Perch in that order. Soft water: Gills, Perch, Bass, and Pike in that order. Depends on weather and time of year on which species I will be going for. To be honest, I will ALWAYS catch WHATEVER wants to bite and be thankful for that!
Lord, bless us all with your plentiful bounty which you have provided for us and keep us all safe during our journey. Amen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.