FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking at boats  (Read 7253 times)

frozengator

Looking at boats
« on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:41 PM »
Need some opinions on boats, went to bass pro and was looking at their deep V 17'. Also looked at Cabelas I would like to hear some input from you guys with these. Wife said NO! to bass boat ???

icecleate

Re: Looking at boats
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:13 AM »
I bought an Alumacraft 16.5 Classic tiller with a Yamaha 60 hp from Cabelas last year. I have only fished out of it 7 or 8 times. I really like it!

Flattop

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:40 AM »
In September 2013 I bought a 2014 Pro Guide V16 with Merc 4 stroke 90 hp.  I've had it out 5 times and it has done well.  Did a few upgrades over the winter and now just waiting to get it out on the water.

Joe

libo

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:51 AM »
   depends what your fishing for, i fish both the big lake and inland lakes. so i perfer a deep v aluminum. easy towing & very versatile. river fishing may want to look at a jon boat. an don't let your wife talk you into a "pontoon boat" lol. boats are like everything else, you pay for what you get

Triton tr19

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Get a bass boat.. I love my 2000 triton. How much were u looking to spend?
12 time tourney winner IBF 2000 triton tr19 DC tandem 150 vmax

Daybreak

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2014, 03:41 PM »
There are very few "perfect" boats out there.  Get one that will fit what you will do the most.  I have had flat bottoms, bass boats and 3 different aluminum V's.  The bass boat was close to perfect, but the 17" deep vee's have served me the best over the last 20 years.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Need some opinions on boats, went to bass pro and was looking at their deep V 17'. Also looked at Cabelas I would like to hear some input from you guys with these. Wife said NO! to bass boat ???

One question.  Is this gonna be your first boat?

stinkybaits

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:51 PM »
For a great all around puddle hoping boat I like an aluminum deep V 16' 40hp tiller steer. Console be fine too and probably has a better resale value. Would also have some nice storage doesn't take up too much room. I like tiller steering for back trolling and it's just a personal preference because I was taught that way. I bought mine used for 3500. Great shape and was from a dealer. I prefer buying from dealers as they don't resell junk. Be a good time to start looking though should be quite a few trade ins still in inventory from all the boat shows over the winter. I'd never buy one new just like I'd never buy a new vehicle. Values drop too fast on new anything these days. If it's your first boat though I'd recommend something smaller before getting a monster. There's enough maintenance in small boats let alone the big boys. Also boats are money pits so be prepared!

yugrac

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I bought an old bass boat that turned out to be junk [rotted] I parted it out and bought a new G3 1860VBW, but just a bare boat, and used the parts  boat trailer, engine  and bought 2 new trolling motors and 2 new sonars then built all my own floors, storage, and console. I get lots of compliments on it, even a conservation cop at Brookville told me it was one of the nicest aluminum boats he had ever seen. Have about $6,000 in it, cant buy much new for that, if your buying used stick with a established marina, craigslist is an easy way to get ripped off, I bought 2 boats off of there and literaly threw them away.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Wife said NO! to bass boat ???

Time to find a new wife!!!   ;D  What do you want to target most?  That should drive what kind of boat you are looking to get.

frozengator

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:56 AM »
One question.  Is this gonna be your first boat?
First one to own, but have lots of experience with boats. Brother used to own the boat business.
   depends what your fishing for, i fish both the big lake and inland lakes. so i perfer a deep v aluminum. easy towing & very versatile. river fishing may want to look at a jon boat. an don't let your wife talk you into a "pontoon boat" lol. boats are like everything else, you pay for what you get
Yes plan on fishing both river and lakes
Time to find a new wife!!!   ;D  What do you want to target most?  That should drive what kind of boat you are looking to get.
You know I would have to disagree there this was her idea to get the boat. LOL
Get a bass boat.. I love my 2000 triton. How much were u looking to spend?
Yeah I know there Mr. triton  ::) My friend has one its nice and its a nice price too.

frozengator

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:58 AM »
I just looked up all the complaints on Tracker, Man that scares the heck out of me. I plan on this to be my only boat. I don't care about resale value. I do keep my stuff in good shape so I want something that will last.

hickgtx600f4

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:32 AM »
I was afraid of the complaints about the trackers also. But had not seen many complaints on the newer boats. The wife and I purchased a 2012 Targa v18 combo. Love it and no regrets. Very stable boat on rough water. Only wish it had was a kicker motor on it. Maybe in a few years. Good luck.

rat-l-trap

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:21 AM »
I've been building boats for 20+yrs. (wont post what comapny) dont want to sway your jugement one way or the other..Options you should consider is what are your fishin needs..sm.BOW or lg.BOW or both..Make sure you dont under buy...Ive heard it a 1000 times.(I wish I'd got a bigger boat )with more options...first of all do you want riveted or welded hull.single console or double or none at all?..If you fish for bass around docks make sure your front deck is no more than 10" or so from gunnel or you"ll have problems hittin the hull .Do you fish with a partner most of the time? If so consider a rear deck that folds down to adds more room for partner..How many rods do you carry? rod storage is a big issue on alot of models..make sure they are big enough to hold what you use..plenty of dry storage is a must for your tackle and extra things you plan on taking with you and for passengers..If going new ..warrenty on boat is very important as well as motor..I've takin enough of your time lol but you can PM me and I'll try to answer as many questions as I can and even disclose what Co. I work for lol..go to websites and look at floor plans of different companies ...good luck on your purchase

frozengator

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Thanks everybody,  its getting my gears rattling in my head. What I hope to fish for is basically simple fishing.  Bass gills and so on. If I go to big lake it will only be on smooth day I guess. Can you kind of predict those type of days ?  I like steelhead fishing too. So maybe the river once and a while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.