FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lets get this party started  (Read 11899 times)

octanehi5

• WORK WAS MADE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T FISH
Lets get this party started
« on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Its 3 weeks before the start of the 2014 fishing season,Weather warming up finally,putting the tip ups away. Getting all the soft water gear ready. Its time to reverse the braid on the reels or change your line all together . Ponds and lakes will be on the cold side. trout are being stocked as you read this.Very glad to see winter coming to an end
If it was easy they would have called it catchin,not fishin

Icetilt

Re: Lets get this party started
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I'm right there with you got all my flyfishing gear out and have hit my Rod and Gun club twice in the last week. Love ice fishing but there's nothing like that first trout of the year on the fly rod.

octanehi5

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I'm headed to upstate NY this Saturday, they open 4/1/14,target native brookies. real trout fishing

eiderz

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:02 PM »
What's with this trout fishing, I thought you were a walter guy? Shame! ;D

octanehi5

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Hey  Newbie, welcome aboard, Seeing that Walter will not come into play for a month or more,My friend in Monticello knows some good trout streams,with natural brookies, I do not fish for them in Ct. I have contacted the hatchery on Oneida, its such a late ice out, the biologist told me the walleye may spawn under the ice this yr. It was this weekend two yrs ago I worked it they were done by 4/10/12. I was hoping to do it again.

eiderz

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Too bad if you don't get to work at the hatchery. I gotta do that one day. And you gotta get your butt to Oneida on the ice with me!

Good luck with the squaretails. :thumbup_smilie:

octanehi5

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I thought I would have made it there this yr but with all the bad weather we had it just did not work out.I did get to modify a few of my tip ups to be like the Indian hill ones that Bugs has, they came out very nice. Saltenstall is rapidly  reaching Ice out,I drive by it everyday That will be my first attempt at Walter on soft water,Bottom bounces in shallow water should do the trick early season

eiderz

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Let's hit the water this summer Ron. Time for some saltwater action. I bet I can convince Gary as well.

octanehi5

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Yes we will have to hit the water this yr,fresh or salt, Ted and I are heading to Saltenstall opening day,maybe you and Gary can join? Gary in 2015 is coming with me to my fly-in in Quebec, He told me he's packed already lol.  Bottom bouncers and jigging will be the order of the day . With long island souind being so cold it will be sometime before the bass show up

octanehi5

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:33 AM »
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/  Here is a very nice site for satillite pics of anywere in the world, You can check for ice out anywere, Our northern lakes and ponds still have ice , southern one are ice out. No wasting gas to go check

octanehi5

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2014, 08:12 AM »
The results of the trip to NY was not that good, water very cold ,snow on the ground,caught a few suckers, Big bald eagles nest high in the trees near the lake, awesome watching them fly around. They had suckers for dinner. A bad day of fishing is aways better than a day at work

octanehi5

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2014, 08:23 AM »
9 days out to open the season,Saltenstall is looking Good

octanehi5

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Saltenstall opening day water temp 46, every boat was rented, Bass guys did ok from the fish we saw. Walleye guys  zero walleyes one, At those temps Walter was in spawning mode,a few were spotted in the river coming in the north end conferming this. My guess things are about 3 weeks late. Three to four weeks to catch Walter.

bugchazer

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Hi Ron , sorry Salty was a dud but it will turn on. Me , I was lazy . Fished at Mohegan park trout pond, coaght 10 or twelve mini trout in an hour. Did see a roughly16" walter in the shallows at Gardner lake yesterday chasing a perch. Later.

octanehi5

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Opening day is two weeks away, Water will be very cold,maybe with ice on it.I'm going to wait this yr for saltenstall to warm some at least near 60 to target Walter, First light will be best seeing you can not fish there after sunset. Maybe go for trout opening day any suggestions?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.