FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fishing knots  (Read 5125 times)

dangle

Re: fishing knots
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:42 AM »
I use palomar. easy for me

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2014, 08:48 AM »
trilene
always have because it's easy.
And it seems to work well

htc

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11 AM »
knot wars app for phone is pretty cool

steelyhead17

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2014, 10:10 AM »
palomer knot

chrony59

« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2014, 11:00 AM »
improved clinch is simple and tough to beat ......................don't use with braid though  ;)

rdhammah

« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Polamar knot is one of the easiest knots to tie and it works on mono and braid. takes less time to tie than the cinch knot

cabrolet

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2014, 06:32 PM »
That's is the only know I use with braid or mono.

stripernut

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2014, 07:30 PM »
For tying on a hook or lure, the Palomar is one of the best choices.

Here is a tip for tying a Palomar with mono for the sight impaired, I hope my description is clear enough...

With a little practice you can feed the folded mono through most "eyes" with out looking... Pinch the tip of the loop between your finger tips and "roll" your fingers so the tip comes out and feeds through the eye, (holding the eye to your finger tips) don't release the line (with your finger tips), now again "roll" your finger tips over the eye, catching the loop that should now be through the eye (on the other side of the eye), if you are through, the hook/lure should be behind/past your finger pads (beside using my thumb and index fingers aka the finger tips, I also hold the "back" of the loop with my pinky helping you to feel it on the line). If you missed you are all set to try again, the loop should still be in your finger tips ready to try again. Once you have that down (putting the line through the eye with out looking) tying the rest of the Palomar with out looking is easy, with a little practice! I have always had fun  (yes I am a ham) tying the Palomar knot behind my back when doing seminars on knot tying and with clients flies and lures at night with out turning on a light... Now if I could only do the same thing with braid (way to limp)... You do not have to tie a Palomar knot when using the "trick", just pull the folded loop thru and you can tie a improved clinch or what ever you need.

With Braid and Palomar knots; one extra step will increase its holding power a great deal; Pass the loop throu twice instead of just once (the over hand part), this will help a great deal with the "slickness" of braided lines.

1moslab

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2014, 03:25 PM »
stripernut good to see you pop up, as usually great informative post. thank you.will post if I can successfully follow your instructions.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #24 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:00 AM »
knot wars app for phone is pretty cool

X2  Has video to show you how to tie every knot listed.  Also has ratings of the knot for mono/flouro/braid.  Great App!
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

ship of fools

« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2014, 10:16 AM »
The mates on the tuna boat i go on swear by the palomar....   and they should know  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.