FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muddy Missy Mistakes  (Read 10481 times)

Valparaiso_Girl

Muddy Missy Mistakes
« on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Well, I learned a lot today.  I wish I could write I caught a slew of fish, but I got skunked at Missy.  My 6ft rod with 10lb test wasn't a good choice for crappies, neither was my slip bobber.  I shoulda known better--lesson learned.  Folk's showed me how to set up a double jig with a spring bobber.  Then they felt sorry for me cause I wasn't catching any and tipped my hooks with minnows.  It didn't help.  I tried though.  I fished the Red Bridge area.  Crappies were being caught there, just not by me.  :(  At least I know what I need to do for next time I fish there.  I also fished below the dam.  I didn't see any fish caught there.

I got the flyrod out of the truck right before I left and nymphed the eddies.  The water was so muddy, I didn't have much faith that the fish could see my hot pink/bead head nymph.

Daybreak

Re: Muddy Missy Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:26 PM »
That's a beautiful picture!  Love that reservoir.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

frozengator

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:46 PM »
well lets see this spring bobber setup! LOL  No really! :D

Jig_Head

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:44 AM »
Well at least ya got out in this nice weather

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2014, 05:12 AM »
Sometimes the fishing is better than the catching..   ;) ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:34 PM »
That's a beautiful picture!  Love that reservoir.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty too.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:45 PM »
well lets see this spring bobber setup! LOL  No really! :D

I've already got that line all set up for catfish or I'd take a pic for ya.  Not that I'll know what to do with one if I catch a catfish, but it's something I want to try.  Anyways, the set up was just two jigs tied on the same line about a foot apart.  Also, a lead weight was used to help cast a bit farther.  The spring bobber was then clipped on 6 feet up-- the length of the pole.  Casting an open spin with that much line out was a bit of a challenge for me.  What's a girl to do when her fish is 7 feet under and tight lining will result in getting snagged on the rocks?  Had it not been so windy and so many people, I would have got my flyrod out sooner.  I still wonder how those crappies could see the jigs, and if they would be able to see a fly in that muddy water. 

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Well at least ya got out in this nice weather

Yes, that was a fun day exploring the Missy anyways.  It was my first time ever fishing there.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Sometimes the fishing is better than the catching..   ;) ;)

As clever as that sounds, I still want to fish and catch.  I don't mind releasing-- but I'm there to see what prize I can pull outta the water!  :)

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Hey kiddo, Did you use a bobber that clips on by pulling back a spring and slipping your line in a notch?

If so, why didn't you use a slip bobber??? Like we use to crappie fish at night.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Val, get ahold of Yooper(Nate), he lives there and fishes the Missy often.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Hey kiddo, Did you use a bobber that clips on by pulling back a spring and slipping your line in a notch?

If so, why didn't you use a slip bobber??? Like we use to crappie fish at night.

Yes, that's the type of bobber I changed to.  I had the slip bobber to begin with, but it wouldn't work right for me.  I'm guessing between the wind and having it on ten pound test line, it couldn't slip very well, (yet it seemed to slide fine outta the water).  Also, along with two jigs, I added a sinker and it it still would not slide the line down.  No one really uses slip bobbers to fish from shore there.  I spotted several Charlie Brown types.  If I were to try it again this time of year, I think a straight drop down from a boat might do the trick best.  Also, I'd be able to get on top of em, which I believe was one of my troubles, (the other being a more finesse set up).

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Val, get ahold of Yooper(Nate), he lives there and fishes the Missy often.

Thanks. The day at Missy was just a special outing for me since it's over an hour from the house.  It's fun exploring new areas.  I've recuperated from my kiddo's Spring Break (the little ones about drove me nuts).  Also, my Spring Break ended Tuesday and I'm back to work as well.  I do plan on going back one of these days, but I think I'm already set up with a buddy for the next time.

Jigmup

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I know you already stated that you knew you had too heavy of line on but I use 6 to 4lb test line for walleyes to put it into perspective. As muddy as the water was, going down to 4lb would probably not have helped but I'm just throwing that out there for future reference.
Never tell a fish wher its supposed to be

Get_the_Net

« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:54 AM »
if you slip bobber was doing ok out of the water but not in, you likely have a slit or groove cut in the bead or top of the bobber that your line gets caught in when casted out from shore and the line is at an angle from the rod tip to the top of the bobber.  Most cheap slip bobbers have this issue after a few outings with them.  I replace all the plastic beads in the top of the bobbers I use with either glass or metal to prevent the 'groove' issue.  Nothing worse than trying to fish 18ft down and your line won't go down thru the bobber after you cast it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.