FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muddy Missy Mistakes  (Read 10480 times)

Jig_Head

Re: Muddy Missy Mistakes
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:57 PM »
if you slip bobber was doing ok out of the water but not in, you likely have a slit or groove cut in the bead or top of the bobber that your line gets caught in when casted out from shore and the line is at an angle from the rod tip to the top of the bobber.  Most cheap slip bobbers have this issue after a few outings with them.  I replace all the plastic beads in the top of the bobbers I use with either glass or metal to prevent the 'groove' issue.  Nothing worse than trying to fish 18ft down and your line won't go down thru the bobber after you cast it out.
I dont even use the beads. I was thinking there wasnt enough weight to pull the line thru the bobber

Jigmup

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:15 PM »
if you slip bobber was doing ok out of the water but not in, you likely have a slit or groove cut in the bead or top of the bobber that your line gets caught in when casted out from shore and the line is at an angle from the rod tip to the top of the bobber.  Most cheap slip bobbers have this issue after a few outings with them.  I replace all the plastic beads in the top of the bobbers I use with either glass or metal to prevent the 'groove' issue.  Nothing worse than trying to fish 18ft down and your line won't go down thru the bobber after you cast it out.

Yep! Stans slip bobbers will eliminate this!
Never tell a fish wher its supposed to be

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I'll have to examine those slip bobbers more closely.  In the meantime, I'm going to try my hand at catfishing with that 10 pound test on there.  That should be appropriate, right?

frozengator

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:24 PM »
LOL, when you said spring bobber I sure wasn't thinking that. I was picturing a spring on the end of your pole :o  That's why I wanted pictures. Now this makes more since.

tomturkey

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:35 AM »
I totally fish slip bobbers. I found some real small pre tied knots that do not hang up in the guides as I use ultra lite reels on fly rods. The knots I find most of the time are the bright colored ones that are made of heavy string that lets the knot catch in the snake guides of a fly rod changing the depth.

I also do not use beads any more.

I am fishing in deeper water so the length of the fly rod gives me the extra power to set the hook when there is 8 foot or more line below the bobber. I fish from a pontoon but I work the area looking for schools of fish so some of my casts are pretty long and there is why the fly rod length also helps.

Lots of fun with the fly rod when a pike or big bass decides to take a perch minnow on 4 lb line.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Use unwaxed (round is preferred over flat) dental floss for your bobber stops instead of the pretied off the shelf stuff.  When tied on properly  and trimmed it will not catch in even the smallest guides or slip when casting or fighting a fish.  It does need replaced on occasion especially if you make huge swings in the depths you fish.  Like changing it from 20ft to 5 ft and back means you will have slid the knot 30 ft on your line.  They will get loose when moving them alot.  Just carefully snip it off with fingernail clippers and tie on another. One thing of floss in your tackle box will last years.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Just to clarify, I've never used a bobber and fly rod together, as I have only ever used floating line.  However, that combination of an ultra light reel, with 4lb test, on my 11 ft fly rod sounds interesting.  :) 

I wonder how that would cast?

I can see myself knocking out a group of folk's behind me because I forgot and did a back cast.  Casting overhand with my fly rod and throwing a jig combo seems like it would take some getting used to.  Folk's in the boat better wear helmets.  :)

dsqui

« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Use unwaxed (round is preferred over flat) dental floss for your bobber stops instead of the pretied off the shelf stuff.  When tied on properly  and trimmed it will not catch in even the smallest guides or slip when casting or fighting a fish.  It does need replaced on occasion especially if you make huge swings in the depths you fish.  Like changing it from 20ft to 5 ft and back means you will have slid the knot 30 ft on your line.  They will get loose when moving them alot.  Just carefully snip it off with fingernail clippers and tie on another. One thing of floss in your tackle box will last years.

how are you tying this on your line??

ive tried the little red rubber ones with holes in the end
the peach colored ones with holes all the way through
and the bright green thills that are pre tied and always manage to get them caught in my line guides its really agrevating having to adjust it all the time

tomturkey

« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Valpo Gal  The bobber casts real good with the ultra light reel. When you reel up the bobber there is not that much line hanging off the tip of the rod so there is no real problem with hitting some one with a back cast.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:49 PM »
You're quite convincing!  I'm going to have to try this.  Thank You.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:26 PM »
how are you tying this on your line??

ive tried the little red rubber ones with holes in the end
the peach colored ones with holes all the way through
and the bright green thills that are pre tied and always manage to get them caught in my line guides its really agrevating having to adjust it all the time

I have never used a store bought bobber stop as they are too bulky and get caught on everything.

Use this for rods with small guides.
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bobber-stopper-knot/ 

For rods with larger guides like a normal spinning rod you can use the knot above or just 2 double overhand knots.  In all cases you must pull the knot very tight and then trim the tags close.  All bobber stops work best when they are tied on very close to or at the level you want to fish at instead of tying it right above the bobber then having to slide them many feet from where you tied them.

tomturkey

« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2014, 05:43 AM »
Get the net

Thanks for the link to the bobber knot. That would take all the work out of tearing a set up off to put a new knot on when one loosens up.
My problem would be with my aging eye sight and screwed up hands trying to tie it in on bobbing boat.

I carry extra rods all set up on my boat so I do not have to take the time to replace a loosened knot.

The small knots that my go to bait shop carries are made from small diameter Dacron thread so they do not hang up in the snake guides. They stay tight a lot better than the normal one you find.

dsqui

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2014, 10:21 AM »
ya that looksl ike itll hold thank you very much for the link

tomturkey

« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I just ordered the knot tier that shows up in the link that Get The Net put up. I will let you know how it works. Cost $6.99 with only  75 cents shipping. Ya that is right 75 cents shipping

popnfish

« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2014, 08:03 AM »
I just tie that knot on my index finger.
There is enough space between your fingernail and skin to slide the string through.
hold the line and string side by side between forefinger and thumb.
five or six wraps around line, string and finger.
start wrapping from tip of finger towards knuckle.
slide end through said space and pull off finger slowly.
first tag end is by knuckle, last goes opposite

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.