FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cut bait trout.  (Read 2525 times)

fishingeorge

cut bait trout.
« on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I was out catfishing the other day using cut up chubs and shrimp. I did end up catching 2 cats but however I couldn't keep the trout off my line. I even started trying to use larger chunks of meat and still couldn't keep away from the trout. Now I have caught trout on cut bait before but never so many. I was even doing better than the guys next to me throwing spoons and spinners. Anybody else have this issue? I would ask how to avoid the trout but honestly I know there is not a lot I could do besides pull my lines. Are there people out there that use just cut meat for trout besides lake trout?

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
Re: cut bait trout.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »
this actually kind of astounds me, here in Idaho trout fishing is something everybody and their mother does because we have some of the best trout fisheries in the country, and most of them aren't even a half hours drive away; so catching trout around here is considered pretty easy.

but I've never heard of anyone using cutbait for trout, or even using cutbait for anything and being harassed by trout. if you could elaborate a bit mor on how you were fishing it and the size of the fish you were catching, i'd be very grateful as it'd give me that one "weird trick" for trout that nobody else uses around here.

mudchuck

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Well, I've never caught any freshwater species of trout on cutbait, but I have caught speckled sea trout on cutbait and shrimp, so fishingeorge probably should clarify where & when this occured.

fishingeorge

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:33 AM »
Well I live in wyoming and I was fishing the river. I was catching mostly rainbow trout and 1 brown. Didnt seem to matter on night or day I was catching them pretty consistent throughout the whole time I  was there. And most of the fish I was catching were all about the 2 pound range ish... anything else you would like to know ask I will share.

fishingeorge

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:38 AM »

Here is a picture of the brown I caught.

mudchuck

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2014, 06:23 PM »
well I might just have to try cutbait here in Vermont, if I can get the bait down past the perch and bullpout

pastaboy

• Bites don't feed the bulldog!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Sweet fish! I'll bet that was fun to catch. Thanks for postin' the pic!
Lord, bless us all with your plentiful bounty which you have provided for us and keep us all safe during our journey. Amen.

fishingeorge

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Well when you're rigged up for catfish "heavy line" "heavy pole" kinda takes the fun out of the catch :)

Fish Farmer

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2014, 11:03 AM »
When I was fishing Lees Ferry, Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam, there were lots of 10 to 12" trout in plain view. I was taking a break eating a can of sardines and crackers, I tossed a couple of chunks of sardines out there and they nailed them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.