FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bullhead  (Read 37356 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Bullhead
« Reply #90 on: Apr 20, 2014, 04:53 AM »
the  picture  in the  sink  is  hard  to  tell  might be  a  big ole  laker  the  other one  is  just  a  channel  cat  .......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #91 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:47 AM »
start a poll.

::)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #92 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:11 AM »
 Do most of you bleed your bullheads out? When I get home from a typical bullhead outing it's getting rather late, and I usually head for bed. I leave the catch in spackle buckets full of water. First thing in the AM I do the cleaning. The thing is, these prehistoric creatures are still very much alive and well at this point, making it a challenge to clean. Oh you can whack them with a hammer on the head, they'll flop around even more. I figured it might be more appropriate to slit their throat and bleed them out when I catch them. What do most of you do?

fishryc

« Reply #93 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:29 AM »
start a poll.

::)

Don't have to my friend! Catfish!
 Smaller ones like that are plentiful in the Genesee come May, and on Long Pond starting now and for the next few weeks if you want to see some just like it.
 LMK when it gets warm enough for ya; we'll get together.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #94 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Don't have to my friend! Catfish!
 Smaller ones like that are plentiful in the Genesee come May, and on Long Pond starting now and for the next few weeks if you want to see some just like it.
 LMK when it gets warm enough for ya; we'll get together.

Mr. Controversy.

:D

Maybe this weekend.
It's the last one available.
I'm real busy with things that have to get finished, but might be able to spare a couple hours in the am.
May 3rd we open up our place on Erie.
But of course we can hook up at the Catt.
Or head out in my boat for perchies and/or eyes.

;)

Mac Attack

« Reply #95 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Do most of you bleed your bullheads out? When I get home from a typical bullhead outing it's getting rather late, and I usually head for bed. I leave the catch in spackle buckets full of water. First thing in the AM I do the cleaning. The thing is, these prehistoric creatures are still very much alive and well at this point, making it a challenge to clean. Oh you can whack them with a hammer on the head, they'll flop around even more. I figured it might be more appropriate to slit their throat and bleed them out when I catch them. What do most of you do?

Clean them right away.
 :D

Ice!!!!
Try it.
Instead of water.
Slows down the metabolism in them.
Also prevents bacteria from growing and spoiling the meat.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #96 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I try to clean mine rite away also...but there have been plenty of times i clean them the next morning just put fresh water in your bucket they will be fine

alfed

• "A good fishing day, Is just getting away awhile"
« Reply #97 on: Apr 22, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I clean them normally the next day. The great thing about bullheads they can stay alive a long time. the bucket full I caught this weekend wasn't cleaned until the next afternoon, all but 2 were alive and well. Ice would probably help even more.

fishingfool

« Reply #98 on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Fished Cayuga State Park Friday night and did well on the bullheads. I fished Sunday and Monday night and didn't catch a single bullhead. Do you think the bite is over?

315stickbow

« Reply #99 on: Apr 23, 2014, 11:46 AM »
The bite is just beginning my friend! Most water temps are still in the 40's.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #100 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Fished Cayuga State Park Friday night and did well on the bullheads. I fished Sunday and Monday night and didn't catch a single bullhead. Do you think the bite is over?
the bite is far from over its just this weather throwing a curveball at us..panfish bite is real slow yet to..i think tomarrow will be good.i will be snooping around at cayuga state park tomarrow ;D

fishingfool

« Reply #101 on: Apr 23, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I was hoping it was the weather. It did seem to be awful early for them to be done. I might give it another try tomorrow night. Thanks

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #102 on: Apr 23, 2014, 03:27 PM »
 The old timers always told me it was best bullhead fishing when the apple blossoms and peepers were out.

claymore6

« Reply #103 on: Apr 23, 2014, 05:29 PM »
As a general rule, bullheads tend to be inactive when surface water temperature are below 55 degrees, so you can't expect too much action with the weather we have been having. Bullheads will move to the shallows when water temperatures reach 60 degrees. The water yesterday at the Cayuga State Park was 52 degrees. The last batch I caught up there were all males and the water was just 50 degrees, but the water was cloudy with a South wind. Cloud/muddy water also helps bring them in. Yesterday the water along Lower Lake Road was clear. Early success, before the water hits 60 degrees, usually happens when the wind blows in some warmer water. Once the water hit 60+ the females will arrive and all hell brakes loose. We need a warm rain to really get the bite kicked into gear.

alfed

• "A good fishing day, Is just getting away awhile"
« Reply #104 on: Apr 24, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I haven't had any problems catching them in the last couple weeks. The bite has been in gear, guess it depends on the spot your at.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.