FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nightcrawlin'  (Read 6953 times)

frozengator

Re: Nightcrawlin'
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2014, 11:34 PM »
I picked 200 last night in 45 minutes. Today my back is really paying for it.  :-[  But 200 crawlers is like $50.
LOL, been there done that. Feel your pain :laugh:

Old Timer

« Reply #31 on: Apr 16, 2014, 06:00 AM »
I did it the easy way last night, I took a walk around the neighborhood last night and picked about 300 hundred off the road. ;D

I found it hard to pick some from my driveway without pinching them..  After a few trys I ended up using a dustpan and a comb. just slide the comb under them and slide them into the dustpan..

Prchmike

« Reply #32 on: Apr 16, 2014, 06:09 AM »
I found it hard to pick some from my driveway without pinching them..  After a few trys I ended up using a dustpan and a comb. just slide the comb under them and slide them into the dustpan..
Just touch them first. They curl up into a ball and they are much easier to pick up.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #33 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
There's also a YouTube vid of a guy soaking walnuts in water and then he pours the water on the ground and the worms come right out. U have to rinse them in clean water as soon as u pick them up due to the toxicity of the walnuts. Never tried it, but it looks interesting
Nice job findin em

315stickbow

« Reply #34 on: Apr 16, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Walnuts eh? That's different. People are clever!

Yardwork will be starting soon. Mulching, weeding and the whole nine yards. Gonna collect as many of the buggers as I can.

choo choo

« Reply #35 on: Apr 16, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I just buy them now from time to time if i'm going to fish a spinner rig for walleyes. But I had loads of fun catching night crawlers/night walkers as a kid.We would spend the afternoon in summer prepping the yard , by watering the grass real heavy.Then the fun would begin well after dark. We used the red cellophane on the flashlights, but had more fun without it, as we tried to spot them and grab them before they slipped back in the hole. :D
I distinctly remember lying in bed ,after picking dozens of crawlers, closing my eye's and seeing them shoot back in their holes, over and over before I fell asleep! Did any of you guy's ever experience that?
Don't leave them in the trunk of your car for a few days in the summer!! :sick: :sick:
I'm fishing my way through life .

PikeHunterDan

• Aka JiggerDan
« Reply #36 on: Apr 16, 2014, 08:42 AM »
LOL, been there done that. Feel your pain :laugh:
No kidding, one of the joys of getting older. :whistling:

alfed

• "A good fishing day, Is just getting away awhile"
« Reply #37 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:05 AM »
That's why I put the gel pads on. I get on all fours and and it saves the back, squatting kills my back. The ground has been so cold my hands get cold fast but its worth the effort. Then let the recipe mix from my previous post do its work for a day or two.

rhoads64

« Reply #38 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:42 AM »
When I was a kid my dad had a trolling battery he would hook up to a small two pronged copper pipe with a wooden handle he fashioned on top. After a decent rain we would go stick that pipe in the ground and the worms would come right up out of the ground. Works like a charm and still how he gets his 25 years later.

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #39 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:48 AM »
we pick em off the greens at the golf course. "super worms"
[
/quote]

Hay   Guy   that  reminds me   I used to work  on  an organic farm  we used  to turn over the soil  by turning it over by the shovel   &
I  mean you touch  a worm   & It is  gone in a sec.......... no kidden    thease worms  were cut & grew back  & used to shovels   so  they  They are gone in a flash   when you touch one with your finger !!!!!!!!!!!!
got to go
 :bowdown:
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #40 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:57 AM »
At  My place of the Pie I leave them  alone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did  that  one year     ive  musta got  like 400 @ a time  the next day  The Freaking   Slugs took over    & in my garden  very  very    sparse    1 or 2   or so   
 Meaning  no barefootin  here    you can if  you want  slugs up your  toes LOL
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

OneidaAngler

« Reply #41 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Well, I made my "worm cellar" today. Took an old cooler and buried it in the ground in a shady spot. Buried it deep, just enough so I could open the lid. Put a 3 inch layer of loamy, sandy dirt on the bottom then stuffed it full of dead leaves and moistened it up for them.

Braz315

« Reply #42 on: Apr 16, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Is it typical for the worms to all congregate in one area?  I spread mine throughout the cooler and when I opened it in the mornin they were all in a ball.

Old Timer

« Reply #43 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Is it typical for the worms to all congregate in one area?  I spread mine throughout the cooler and when I opened it in the mornin they were all in a ball.
Probably the bedding is to dry or they got to cold.. One or the other..

rambo51

« Reply #44 on: Apr 17, 2014, 11:23 AM »
What is everyone's secret to get the stubborn ones out, it seems like if you find the right angle they just pull right out, but other times it seems like they almost rip themselves in half.
I only fish on days that end in Y

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.