FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White bass/crappie run on Missinawa  (Read 2461 times)

bigr

White bass/crappie run on Missinawa
« on: Apr 13, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Just got back from a quick trip up the river.1812 reenactment area. River is very muddy and high but found lots of crappies and white bass in slack area. Got some real nice Black crappie. White bass where not the big gals but plenty of small males. A week or so and the bigger fish will be showing up. The black crappie where starting to show a belly full of eggs. Always seems like they spawn first.

Valparaiso_Girl

Re: White bass/crappie run on Missinawa
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Good to know!  I think it's awesome how you know the schedule of those bigger fish.   ;)

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Valpo girl, keep watching for my post and i'll let you know when the best and easiest fishing starts. Right now you need to be able to read the water well, but when the water drops and clears it will get much easier.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2014, 07:46 PM »
River has drop a couple ft and is clearing fast. Big White bass showed up tonight so i expect we should get 3 or 4 weeks of good action. Crappie are thick in every eddy i fished. No casting was required, just drop and lift. 6 inchies deep. Bass are in the slower moving holes just out of current. Good luck to all. 

dsqui

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2014, 03:33 AM »
any idea what the water temp is???

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2014, 04:21 AM »
No ideal, much colder yesturday than the day before and i would guess it will drop a few more degrees before starting back up.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Here's  my up date. Sorry to say the crappie and white bass seem to have drop back out of the river as i feared would happen. The river cleared up and dropped nicely but the 3 really cold nights also dropped the temp of the water enough to make them turn tail and run. It will take several warm days with warm nights to bring the bass back up and will most likely take a high water event in the next couple weeks to bring the the crappie back. Lets keep our fingers crossed either way. Fished all the way from hogsback to reenactment with very little success, only a few bass and no crappie. 

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Crappie have returned back up river , this time in good numbers in what appears to be in every slack area. White bass are also slowly showing back up but not in full run as yet. River conditions are perfect, wading is a good option to get away from the crowd and cover more of the river. Not seeing any of the real big fish yet but think they will show up soon. Hope this cold snap that's coming doesn't chase them back out. 

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the update.   :'(

chicagill34

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Is this the actual river or the reservoir itself??? just wondering...

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2014, 06:59 PM »
This the river upstream from hwy 13 bridge to the reenactment area close to the town of jalapa. Most the fishing is being done from the area we call hogsback to troyers bridge. I don't think I've ever seen crappie in some of the eddies like I've seen this spring. No casting required , just dip and lift. A few more white bass tonight but still not really on yet.

frozengator

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Wonder if this cold snap will effect them this weekend??

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Just got back from river and yes i think this cold snap has cause some fish to drop back down river.  Not as many today as yesterday. Still plenty but just not as many.

2bstreamin

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Yesterday, 18 white bass incl. some big males. Today, an even dozen white bass. Just a couple females. No crappie. One freight train. Hogsback and upstream. Late afternoon.

bherr24

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Fished lake yesterday. Could not buy a bite early in the day.  Later in the day we found active fish hitting the surface after shad in the back of a cove near red bridge.  Went with a bobber and tube jig set about a foot deep and started getting them. Biggest one i got was 14 inches, so  far my biggest of the season. I had seen the fish hit the surface, casted to the spot immediately and the bobber was gone as soon as it hit the water.  When cleaning the fish i seen it had just engulfed a big shad minnow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.