FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crazy Marriage for Crappie  (Read 3008 times)

Valparaiso_Girl

Crazy Marriage for Crappie
« on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:26 PM »
The topic titled Muddy Missy Mistakes enlightened me to try something new and rather crazy for me.

My 10ft fly rod and ice reel married and made this:

Super light line-- 3 pound test, I think, and this slip bobber set up:

I wasn't sure what to put on:

Here's the set up I ended up with:

High Flags

Re: Crazy Marriage for Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Looks great!     try a  cubby mini mite, might be a good match for that line weight

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Here's what I got on it:

High Flags

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Then again your set up is the way to go...LOL      Nice smallie !!!

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Thanks, I'm planning to try that next time.  Do you think the double set-up is a good idea?

High Flags

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2014, 08:58 PM »
  Yes, you got twice as much chance

dsqui

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2014, 09:02 PM »
how deep are you actually fishing if not to \deep try that set up with a carrot bobber itll do you wonders

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Thanks.  I Goggled carrot bobber and I still don't know what that is.  Also, I started out fishing in about 30 fow and had the bobber stop set at around 20ft.  I tend to walk around a lot and I caught the bass directly below the Falls.  Really, I could have done the same tight lining in that spot, as the current was to strong for jiggy bobbing, but seeings as how it was on there and all...   

frozengator

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I was there yesterday.   Tried the cove by the north boat ramp. Nothing!  Went to the spill way and got a couple.   Didnt stay long I was wiped out. Being up all day and the wind and sun took its toll!

wallin

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Looks pretty good to me and you caught fish so I think your on to something there. ;D
Wallin

dsqui

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2014, 09:22 AM »
ok carrot bobers lets see i tried lookin for em too and nothing.  so they are the bobbers shaped like baby carrots alot of the older onse u see will have eyelets on both ends to tie onto.  alot of guys us em to fish flies on a spinning rod.  they are realy nice because if you use em right they stand up when you get a real light bite to let you know and if the bight is on you can actaully use like the bright green crappie line with a tippet and watch your line as well. here we go found em shoulda know gander wouldnt have em

http://www.basspro.com/Rainbow-Plastics-Torpedo-Float/product/12010405012410/ 
is the older style

http://www.basspro.com/Spin-Bubble-Float-Pack/product/1797/
is the newer style

one you tie on the other spins on and is adjustable

tomturkey

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2014, 07:25 AM »
I bait fished stream trout with a fly rod and ultra light reel for years. After moving to the lake we are at I started using that set up for pan fish and loved it. I have left the spinning rods in the rack in the garage most of the time since.

The longer length of a spinning rod gives me more power to set the hook at longer distances and deeper depths. I did have trouble with the larger knots hanging up in the snake guides but I found some smaller ones at my go to bait shop. We will have to see how valpo gal likes them.

I prefer to use the pencil style wooden bobbers as I feel they give less resistance when I fish pulls them down.

EDIT  I looked at the pictures again and saw the VP Gal used the knots that I sent her. Gal The bobber pictured in the directions are the type I use.

waterwolf603

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2014, 07:53 AM »
that seems like a pretty sweet set up
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Thanks.  The set-up casted nicely, is very sensitive, and I can't wait to get out there and catch those crappies.  Also, the bobber stop knots worked out very well when I fished in deeper water.  Nothing got hung up in the eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.