FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: mercury 115 elpto issue  (Read 2362 times)

iceon

mercury 115 elpto issue
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 12:00 AM »
I am trying this motor out on my nitro before buying it. The issue it seems to have is under load it feels like a slipping clutch. I've searched the net and have found something about the hub. It read that the prop could be slipping on the hub. Could someone explain so a hillbilly could understand better. And is this an expensive fix. There wanting 2 grand for the motor. I should say it 1998 Mercury 115 elpto. I must be jinxed with outboards and this boat. Since the lower unit went out of the original motor and couldn't get one.

rat-l-trap

Re: mercury 115 elpto issue
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2014, 05:12 AM »
Depends on the boat it was off of ..it may be the wrong pitch prop for your boat ...causing it suck air..making it sound like its slipping...rairly does a prop slip on hub ..id start there.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Pull the prop. then mark the hub and the prop with a bit of paint or a magic marker. put the prop on and run it until you feel the slipping. pull the prop again and check the marks to see if they are still lined up. if not take it to a prop shop and get the hub replaced. Cheaper than a new prop.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Pull the prop. then mark the hub and the prop with a bit of paint or a magic marker. put the prop on and run it until you feel the slipping. pull the prop again and check the marks to see if they are still lined up. if not take it to a prop shop and get the hub replaced. Cheaper than a new prop.

This works and it is easy to do.
But also take the advice of the other idea about the prop sucking air.
This happens sometimes if the outboard is mounted too high on the transom.
Mine sucks a l;ittle and cavitates if I horse it too tight into a turn.
I decided to try a 4 blade SS prop this year to reduce or eliminate this effect.

But I would also like to comment on a 16 year old 2-stroke selling for $2K....???
Sounds a little bit high.
But if the hours are low and it can be proven.....

Good luck.

iceon

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:46 PM »
The owner tightened the prop with an impact and shattered the rubber bushing. Fixed it . Thanks though.

Bronzeback5

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 01:16 AM »
it's a good daywhen you can fix something and not spend a thousand dollars or more :thumbup_smilie:

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2014, 04:57 AM »
The owner tightened the prop with an impact and shattered the rubber bushing. Fixed it . Thanks though.

Great news. As far as the impact diver, some people shouldn't be allowed near tools,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.