FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly's for spring steelhead?  (Read 966 times)

barkspud

Fly's for spring steelhead?
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:03 AM »
I've been tying like crazy the last few days and i've seen lots of vids on fly's for these spring fish. What should I have in my box for this coming week to possibly hook up.  Does the Salmon and Black have very good nymph fishing for them. From what I understand when the fish start dropping back they start feeding more. I've been told that big stones work well but have no idea what kind of stones these river have if any..   Any suggestions?  Thanks Derek

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Fly's for spring steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:19 PM »
bead  head  nymphs  are   good  egg patterns   as  it  warms   wolly  buggers  and  even  streamers   can   produce  ...fall  backs   get  very  aggressive 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

barkspud

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Thanks trapper everyone says eggs ,eggs , eggs but I figure there had to be something else they would go for.  I have a selection of bead heads and taking a tying box along.  Any suggestions on sizes?

Clint S

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Thanks trapper everyone says eggs ,eggs , eggs but I figure there had to be something else they would go for.  I have a selection of bead heads and taking a tying box along.  Any suggestions on sizes?

As far as flies it really depends what's in the water with  the fish.   Sedge flies, eggs,  smolts, stones. I personally do not up size much on my go to flies.   8,10, 12 mostly in my box with some mixed bigger streamers in 4 to 6.    Think about this though,  ever see a bright pink anything in the water that is natural?   Why do they seem to like bright pink streamers??   They will  hit almost anything every now and then if it is right in front of them and on a good drift.   I pretty much only use 3 flies all year.  I make them in a few different sizes and colors.   Use what you have confidence in  and mix in a wildcard every now  and then if  that does not work.   

FISHNIK

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I have a good deal of success on #6 streamers dressed like emerald shiners,also beadhead prince nymphs.

FN

barkspud

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Thanks. Clint and fishnik going to give it a go with the flyrods tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.