FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: mud through the motor  (Read 2903 times)

frozengator

mud through the motor
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Have a question, the lake I went to has a horrible public access. The channel is shallow as . And I went through some mud and the motor quit spitting water for a minute.  But it started back and it was slow for a couple minutes. Should I do anything?  It started shooting water normally after a couple minutes.   Or do I not need to worry?

Mac Attack

Re: mud through the motor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:28 PM »
It should have flushed itself out in the main lake.
But you still need to go home...........via the same route in reverse.
I would flush the motor after getting home.
If the outboard has a garden hose attachment like many new units do, use that.
If you can use a set of "cups" or "muffs", do that.
Or if the motor is a small unit, stick it into a tub of water and run it.
Many people use 5 gallon buckets, 50 gallon drums, coolers, totes, etc.

But flush it.

frozengator

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Ok thank you

Huck Finn

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2014, 07:29 AM »
When was the last time you changed your impeller? If it was more than 3 yrs. ago I strongly suggest you change it now.

There are lots of vids on youtube on how to change these things for specific motors.

An impeller is usually $20 or less and is very cheap insurance against a burnt up motor.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day... give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.

mwoj43

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I agree, change water pump. Not good for mud to go thru, they are only rubber. Have it changed and play it safe.

frozengator

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Was planning on doing at the end of the season,  now yall have me decided on doing it now.

kingfisher22

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2014, 05:00 AM »
I was told by two different mechanics not to run the motor while using the garden hose attachment as a source of cooling water.  Don't know why???  But since two mechanics from different dealerships both said the same thing, I would at least double check before doing it.   

frozengator

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2014, 06:47 AM »
I was told by two different mechanics not to run the motor while using the garden hose attachment as a source of cooling water.  Don't know why???  But since two mechanics from different dealerships both said the same thing, I would at least double check before doing it.   
I was wondering last night about that. Probably because your pushing warer the opposite direction.  I was going to just hook it up to flush it backwards then put the muffs on.  But I still am going to chang impeller.  Not sure if its ever been done and its a 2008

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:52 AM »
i used to anchor my boat on a muddy clam flat and push mud and silt thru often. dont let it run for a minute or two without water pumping thru it' that only heats up the rubber and destroys it. i used to carry a 4 foot section of weedwacker cord to run down thru the hole to unplug it when it jammed up with debris. learned that trick watching bonefish guides running flats boats over very skinney water in the bahamas

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:17 AM »
i fish shallow river water mainly and my motor has seen lots of mud/silt and never changed the impeller. i did buy one years ago while buying the used 1960 evenrude and the thermostat. only thing i did to her was new points/condenser and gear oil and a gas line in 18 years

if she's a peein, then she should okay. that small stream of water is only there to let you know the water cooling is working

i used to anchor my boat on a muddy clam flat and push mud and silt thru often. dont let it run for a minute or two without water pumping thru it' that only heats up the rubber and destroys it. i used to carry a 4 foot section of weedwacker cord to run down thru the hole to unplug it when it jammed up with debris. learned that trick watching bonefish guides running flats boats over very skinney water in the bahamas

good one, thanks for the tip!
won't need it, but good to know

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I was told by two different mechanics not to run the motor while using the garden hose attachment as a source of cooling water.  Don't know why???  But since two mechanics from different dealerships both said the same thing, I would at least double check before doing it.  

That hose connection is used to flush your motor, and you must also run the motor during the flush.

BUT, and this is a big BUT  ;D, you are not supposed to run the motor at higher RPM's while using this flush connection.
The reason is because this flush connection doesn't provide enough cooling water for the motor at anything higher than idle or very low RPM operation.
Anyway, that is what it says in the Honda, Mercury, and Yamaha motor manuals.

frozengator

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Good advice.  Thanks I will keep a piece for now on. Yeah I would have shut it down if it didnt start right back up. It was mabe 10 to20 sseconds with no water an idling speed. Enough time for me to say now what am I going to do?  But what you just posted, I would have shut it off immediately and ran the line down.   Thanks again for the tip. ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Don't rush to spend hard earned bucks on unnecessary repairs. If the overflow tube (aka the piss tube) is putting out adequate amounts of water, it's indicating good flow through through the motor and you'll be fine. No need to panic just yet.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2014, 09:13 AM »
that weed whacker line is a great tip!   thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.