FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat question  (Read 1514 times)

snowlt14

Boat question
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I took my 98 tracker down to the river today just to fire it up in the water and let it run for a while on the trailer. The motor is a 98 mercury/tracker 60hp that gets serviced each year in the fall and new plugs and fluids in the spring. The motor was fogged while stored over winter and fuel treatment was added as well.

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to get the boat to turn over today in the water. I changed the plugs after about 15 minutes hoping that would help but it didn't. I took the air box off and I had fuel coming out of the lower carb pouring into the bottom of the motor. I cleaned all the extra gas off and continued to fire it up with no luck. We pulled the boat out of the water and tried again and what do you know it fires right up. Put it back into the water and try it again and nothing. Back out and fires up, strange I know. After I got it going I strayed some carb cleaner into the carbs and it seemed to fire up a little better and it would start in the water after 7-10 turns of the key. Anybody have any ideas? This is driving me nuts, I always like to have the boat 100% before heading out. Some of my friends have been saying it may have been a stuck float? dirty carb? gelled fuel?

Thanks for the help

tightwad

Re: Boat question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2014, 04:45 AM »
could be a number of things sounds like it was flooded but it could be ethanol fuel(sucks), water in floatbowl I have not had any issues with my motor since non ethanol came back around that is what I run in everything that's gas operated water in your fuel will make it start hard and run like a turd .Ethanol fuel is rough on small engines good luck

rondog

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2014, 05:27 AM »
x2 on the fuel ,did you put additive in the fuel when you put it away in the fall ?  Ethanol will definitely separate from the gas .If you didn't treat the fuel last fall I would start by dumping the fuel

joefish1

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2014, 05:40 AM »
This is why in the fall you add additive to the fuel, run the engine, drain the fuel, and run the engine dry.  Or better yet, use non ethanol gas.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Not simple fuel stabilizer either.
Use the stuff designed specifically for ethanol.
Like Startron.

Also install a large water separator/filter.
Don't rely on the small inline cheap ones inside the cover that comes on the motor.

Go have a decent marine mechanic sort this out.
If you get to running too lean you could burn up a piston.
Then things get real expensive.

Good luck.

Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Don`t run an engine out of the water. I don`t even turn it over if not in the water. That water  pump will be wrecked in short order without the water for a lube..

eyedoktr

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Don`t run an engine out of the water. I don`t even turn it over if not in the water. That water  pump will be wrecked in short order without the water for a lube..

Everyone thinks this and to a point, it's true. I have fished many pro tournaments where the Mercury repair truck has been on site. They will repair, run and tune an engine in the parking lot with no water going to the motor. I would think they know what a motor will take better than anyone.
Pete Lewis

Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Everyone thinks this and to a point, it's true. I have fished many pro tournaments where the Mercury repair truck has been on site. They will repair, run and tune an engine in the parking lot with no water going to the motor. I would think they know what a motor will take better than anyone.
Maybe the new motors have a different water pump but then that impel;ler runs on the metal plate with no lube those fingers get hot and melt..  Of course if they burn a water pump out of your motor, what do they care.???

UglyStik

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2014, 02:05 PM »
If the ramp into the water was steep and when you pulled it out you were on level ground, I would look for a stuck float. On the angled ramp, a stuck float would not be able to shut off the fuel flow and it would flood.
Two things to you can try if you are willing. Easy one is to gently tap on the carburetor bowl with a rubber mallet, wood dowel or something that won't maul it. You may be able to free it with a little persuasion. If that doesn't work you can take the bowl off the bottom of the carb, make sure to disconnect or shut off the gas line first. Once the bowl is off you can gently move the bowl and see if it's stuck. Let us know how it worked out, and good luck.

snowlt14

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2014, 11:13 PM »
The ramp was pretty steep but I tried my best to level it out. I'm going to run some sea foam through the fuel and hope that helps out. I'm thinking either water in the fuel or a fuel issue. I'm going to fire it up again on Tuesday a hope for better results.

broadhorizons

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2014, 01:57 AM »
I would get a set of muffs and run it in the driveway if you are going to tinker with it. Then you aren't blocking a launch, you aren't standing behind a trailered boat on a ramp (very unsafe) and you probably have more tools at home.

Whatever the Mercury techs do...I wouldn't trust anyone who is going to run my motors dry with nothing to cool them whether or not the impellors are safe to run dry. Would you run your car without coolant? If the water pump dies, I'm the one stuck on the water not them.
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

greensider

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2014, 04:38 AM »
i used to use the muffs then i got a plastic barrel cut it in half and put a drain plug in it way better than muffs i have had fuel come out of my motor as well and cleaned it and kept trying like you did i think they are just real fussy i agree it is likely the floats sticking and old gas even with stable it is still old gas

missfishy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2014, 07:13 AM »
I was thinking maybe some sort of a short draining the power from the ignition when grounded in the water...not grounded on the trailer, but then remembered you said there was fuel in the motor ,probubly right on the stuck float leaked when you went down the ramp and flooded the motor hope you solve it and good luck on the open water.

Clint S

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2014, 07:30 AM »
My current outboard will not pump a drop of water on muffs.   Water gets pushed by the pump too fast.  Replaced a pump because of that.  As far as running them dry, I have done it before for less than 30 seconds a few times and during inspection of the impeller it was no worse for wear.   Had the muffs fall off once when it was running and walked away not knowing.   The pump started screeching like a mother I would guess it was after 3 to 5 minutes though, pump still worked and impeller looked fine.  Replaced anyway.

Back to the initial question, my guess also would be on a float sticking especially if the ramp/ boat is at is at a decent angle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.