FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early Spring Pike Fishing!  (Read 3265 times)

ooberfish

Early Spring Pike Fishing!
« on: Apr 22, 2014, 03:11 AM »
Got my Pike!
This long weekend, I have been trying to figure out just what it would take to get one to bite in the fast moving, mud stained water of the river mouth. I even tried jigging the ice edge from shore, just as far as my rod would reach, wishing to be 30 feet out on the ice. Got one to take on one particular lure, but utimately I believe the weather finally convinced them. First evening this weekend that was without wind. +12 and Partly sunny. There were definitely 2 pairs of Beavers swimming in the mouth.. They were bold, and down right mad at us. They harassed us and made my friend of 17 years, believe she would be eaten alive. They would sneak up and tail slap at us. I've personally never got wet from a beaver before ;) but tonight it happened a lot. Could have got a few neat pictures if I had my phone with me. I left it in the truck just for you ianwuzhere.

My gal pal had only fished a couple times, but she was game when I mentioned staying until dark to try for a Burbot. Which no one I know has seen in that lake in a dozen years. I started a fire on shore behind us, switched lures and headed back to the water. Its now pitch black. A few stars poke out from behind scattered clouds. By now the beavers were quiet. Finally! 30 run ins is enough. I hooked something, but it didn't run. My drag was only set to maybe 6 lbs, it just wiggled hard. Then after getting it to budge a few feet it was gone. Hooked another.... something... again. Hard, tight and wiggling. Few feet and gone. After an hour of siolence the beavers spoolshed in the water near us. This spooked my friend and I. Night time is, well... spookey. So, we decided to pack up.

A phone flashlight, does not cut it. Note to self: The flashlight needs to get put back in the tackled box. We were fumbling the rods around figuring out who would carry what, when 15 feet away a  set of eyes appear. About 3.5 feet off the ground. Not one sound as it came in. I gave a good "Hey! Hey!" Couldn't explain to my friend what was happening because it was too dark for her to read my lips. I backed us up the hill, grabbed a 3 foot chunck of ice, hucked it on the fire and walked the 300 yards back to the truck. Not sure what came up the trail tonight. But I do know I want to go back!

Catch & Release
#adventureisalwaysinseason
~Urge for the Surge!~
~The Tug Is The Drug~

ianwuzhere

Re: Early Spring Pike Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:46 PM »
ahhh open water.. its been a long time..
Nice pike, hopefully many more to come!   :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.