FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: More eye candy yellow perch pictures one of my ponds...  (Read 8593 times)

taxid

Perch harvest to sell to fellow taxidermists is over for the year. Perch are almost done dropping their eggs.

Here is my latest round of helpers. Free labor!   ;D

L to R: Ben, Gauge, Hunter and Grant.  

Here are two caught by Hunter that were in the 14 inch range with the largest weighing in at 2 lbs. 5 1/2 oz. That's less than 3 ounces short of our state record!

Here's Grant's little brother Ben with a 14 incher.

A couple on the top of cooler. Fish were overdozed with a fish anesthetic and then cataloged and frozen to be later shrink wrapped and shipped.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: More ice candy yellow perch pictures one of my ponds...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:54 PM »
What perch eggs look like. Notice the concertina wire pattern. In case you didn't know, yellow perch females look for something to drape their eggs on. One female can be followed by  numerous males and as soon as she releases her eggs they swell in the water and the males spew milt all over them.

I use a a dye to keep weed growth down in case you're wondering about the water color.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Re: More eye candy yellow perch pictures one of my ponds...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Wow..... pigs

frozengator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2014, 03:23 AM »
Nice ;D

chrony59

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2014, 05:46 AM »
AWESOME fish and lucky workers  ;D ..............................thanks for posting that is so cool to see !!!

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Awesome fish.

Some day I hope to get into some pre spawn females.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Awesome fish.

Some day I hope to get into some pre spawn females.

If it's not too far you could drive down for a day and help catch them out. Next year there should be lots more 14 inchers.

Valparaiso_Girl

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Nice Pics!  Thanks for sharing.  Those perch almost look like they have googly eyes.  :)

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Nice Pics!  Thanks for sharing.  Those perch almost look like they have googly eyes.  :)

Not sure whey their eyes are bugged out but I would guess it's due to the stress of carrying 30 percent of their body weight in eggs.

tomturkey

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Thanks for the offer but it would be quite a drive.

High Flags

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Nice report taxi...love the pics.   first time i ever saw perch eggs,very interesting. You sure have a wealth of knowledge about raising fish.

If you raised a state record would you enter it?  just 3 more oz...LOL

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Nice report taxi...love the pics.   first time i ever saw perch eggs,very interesting. You sure have a wealth of knowledge about raising fish.

If you raised a state record would you enter it?  just 3 more oz...LOL

I already did at 5 ounces over the state record.  ;D Caught her ice fishing in the pond. I was told I followed all the rules but the fish could not be entered as my fish were on a 'feeding program." Granted I wouldn't enter one today but back then I just had a pond like anyone else and stocked it with yellow perch I bought from a fish farmer in Ohio. No hatching or other ponds at the time. Sure I fed them pellets but that's quite common in ponds now. 12 Indiana state records are from ponds btw.

What didn't help my case is a local outdoor writer decided to present the catch as a controversy and was biased against me entering it.

Haven't produced one 16 inches or over since. To imply feeding fish in a pond will automatically produce a record fish is silly.  Record fish are anomalies. Everything has to be there and feeding and fast growth aren't the only factors. The catch 22 with fast growing fish is they have shorter lifespans.

No hard feelings though and I consider it a personal achievement. She's mounted in a glass case in an ice fishing scene.

This fish would have gone 3 lbs. or more if I would have harvested her in March or April vs. February.

coustom rods

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2014, 05:48 AM »
  To me about feeding fish for a record is BS .
Should still be a state  record.
If a private pond can be.
Then the fish u had should have been to .

frozengator

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2014, 07:08 AM »
What did you do with that cluster of eggs??? Just leave it, or do you fence it off? By the way, thanks for the picture of them now iknow what to look for in mine.

BIGDADYG

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2014, 05:45 PM »
taxid just curious have you started on the blue perch yet and will you post pics of it .
FISHING'S HARD CAN WE GO HOME NOW ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.