FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alex Bay / Wellesley  (Read 10440 times)

crl1970

Re: Alex Bay / Wellesley
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I fished all weekend and got skunked.  Shot some spoons over the drop offs by Pullman Island and Near the castle.  Even tried minnows with no luck.  never had such bad luck.   ???

deggert60

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Me too... 1 pike to show for It and forgot the net so couldn't land it.. live bait suckssss right now caught it on a spinner bait. Caught pan fish left and right once I got bored of going for pike  lol
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

crl1970

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2014, 10:50 AM »
The water is just hitting 60.  My though is it has to warm up some before the bite gets better.  Hopefully next weekend is better!

frogger

« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Black Bass (Lake Ontario and tributaries in Jefferson
County & St. Lawrence River and tributaries)    3rd Saturday in June through Nov 30    12"    5

If you read the rules, NO CATCH AND RELEASE FOR BASS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY.

It can get pretty expensive to catch and keep them this time of year if you get caught.  I think the only alternative is to release them when you catch them.  LOL

deggert60

« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Lake of the isles/eel bay has been good from what I've heard and always a safe bet, go through this whole thread and theres useful info. I believe your correct the long winter has made the water colder later this year which has affected the bite. IF you got a boat and a depth finder just fish the drop offs. If your not diehards and looking to catch fish lake of the isles is a great swim spot and if you got kids panfish galore.

joefish1

« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2014, 05:24 AM »
Lake of the isles/eel bay has been good from what I've heard and always a safe bet, go through this whole thread and theres useful info. I believe your correct the long winter has made the water colder later this year which has affected the bite. IF you got a boat and a depth finder just fish the drop offs. If your not diehards and looking to catch fish lake of the isles is a great swim spot and if you got kids panfish galore.
Just watch out for the yo yos on the jet skis.

The Fishing Pole

« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2014, 06:38 AM »
If its somewhere between Abay and Clayton, that might put you in the Grass Point - Fishers Landing area.  Traveling by boat to LOTI from there if its less than a 20 footer or so can be a little tough.  Quite a distance and the water can be a little rough with the prevalent winds.  There is a lot of good fishing from the TI bridge upwards (westward) in all the bays on the NY mainland side to beyond the Rock Island lighthouse.  Bass, northern and various panfish.  Of course there are walleye too in that stretch on the drop offs to the main channel.  Remember, you're right off the main channel there and a lot of fish come out of there to feed in the shallow bays.

You'll catch fish.  PM me if you want.

Eel bay is another option and is more accessible to you from there than LOTI is, again depending on the size of your boat and where the cabin is.  It features fishing action for everything LOTI offers (no walleye generally in the bay itself).

Flukeman

« Reply #22 on: Jun 13, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Black Bass (Lake Ontario and tributaries in Jefferson
County & St. Lawrence River and tributaries)    3rd Saturday in June through Nov 30    12"    5

If you read the rules, NO CATCH AND RELEASE FOR BASS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY.

About 10 years ago I got my first bass boat and was on Black Lake one spring, crappie and northern fishing. Because I was in a bass boat someone called the DEC and reported I was bass fishing. Unfortunately, I could not afford species specific boats for all the fish I chase  ;D  The DEC actually did show up, apparently had watched me for a while, and came over to look my situation over. I had caught several bass, many northern, and a couple crappie (these I had in my live well).

They told me someone called to complain, told me they had been watching me, and told me I was fine and enjoy my day. They said they came over to check my rods (one pike rod Mepps #5, two crappie set ups - one with a bobber). They told me what they are looking for are people fishing beds or sitting on schools of bass catching one after another. I had been out there about 4.5 hours and maybe caught 6 bass.

They do not care if you catch bass inadvertently, they are looking for abusers. They do really want people out fishing and enjoying the sport, most are fisherman just like us. They just happen to have an outdoors job.

crl1970

« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Fishing was still slow for me this weekend.  picked up one Northern and a Bass trolling.  Water is right around 60 so you would think the fishing would pick up soon.  Current is moving real fast.  Hopefully better fishing to come soon for me :(

wildman1

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2014, 08:07 PM »
been trolling near my camp near kring point for the last few weekends. Tow northerns and one waldo to show for it. walleye are my target species. should pick up soon hopefully.

crl1970

« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Had better luck last weekend with a few larger pike and some bass.  Trolling in 20 feet just off the drop-offs using deep thundersticks.  Hoping it gets even better !

deggert60

« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Going up this weekend, don't have the means to troll. What is working for everyone? I was thinking about using mepps spinners/spinnerbaits or jigging with shiners?

monkeyman2269

« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I was up last week and it was terrible rapala craw cranks worked the best but still very slow

piscesman

« Reply #28 on: Jun 27, 2014, 12:23 PM »
My wife and I go up there at the end of August and stay at WISP. We have an 18' boat with a 140 on back. Never any trouble getting fish but not always the ones you want. As stated before: fish for anything and you may be rewarded with what you wanted to target. We can't troll so we drift fish in the lesser channels and around the islands. The deeper water rewards us with the bigger fish. This year I WILL have a specific PIKE pole set up. Last year I lost several rigs to pike that had lower lb test line and no leaders. Of course the water is warmer then than it is now. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

deggert60

« Reply #29 on: Jun 27, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Hopefully the fishing has picked up since the water is warmer. It'll also give me an opportunity to pole spear some gobies. Im going to try and fill a bucket with them little bastards  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.