FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alex Bay / Wellesley  (Read 10434 times)

chrony59

Re: Alex Bay / Wellesley
« Reply #45 on: Jul 22, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Headed up to Wellesley for a couple days this weekend with 1Beaver ........................ last year he guided me to a couple of 5lb Eyes and so many Smallmouths my wrists were hurting !! Sounds like it might be a little tougher this year  ::)  we'll see !! Will report Tuesday when I get back to work  ;)

piscesman

« Reply #46 on: Jul 24, 2014, 07:01 AM »
On the average How deep does the weed rocksine end??? Then the rocks show up??
Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

chrony59

« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Here is the count from 7/24 - 7/28    11 keeper Walleyes average length 22" and 5+ pounds ! The Bass fishing was non stop action with lots of 3+ lb fish  ;)       all fish caught were in the SAME spots as last year  ;)

piscesman

« Reply #48 on: Jul 31, 2014, 05:10 AM »
what were you using for bait??? Morning, day, night??? Thanks.
      Kim :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

chrony59

« Reply #49 on: Jul 31, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Bucktails and worm harnesses ..........................mid morning seemed to be the best time for the Eyes !
Crabs for the Smallies  ;)     

deggert60

« Reply #50 on: Jul 31, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Thanks for the report chrony, good to hear the fishing has picked up. Heading up this weekend, hopefully the weather holds up and I get some decent fishing in .
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

piscesman

« Reply #51 on: Jul 31, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Yes thank you very much. My harness will be doing a fast drift if a blade is on it. Can't troll as stated before. At least we can get onto the water and to far locations from WISP. Good Luck to all................
      Kim :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :flag: :flag: :flag:
      author unknown

grady95

« Reply #52 on: Aug 03, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Spent the weekend at Jacques Cartier State Park by Morristown.  Only had a little bit of time to spend on the water, but here's what happened.  That area is has a lot of shoals with a few deep pockets interspersed.  The current is real fast.  The GPS was reading 1.85 MPH just drifting with no wind.  If we could get the baits or rubber into those deep holes, they got slammed with monster bass almost immediately.  Problem is, getting the drift right, getting your presentations actually into the holes long enough for the fish to see them.  As far as walleyes up in that area, they are there for sure.  At night, you can shine a light into the shoals and see them laying there like cordwood.  They hang out in pairs, and they take great joy in frustrating the #!@$ out of fisherman.  Just like the ones up at the north end of Honeoye, you can see the little basta@$# but think you can get them to hit anything?
Some are being caught and they are nice fish, but boy if we could figure out how to trigger strikes, we'd be celebrities!  Some guys in the park were scuba diving and they said they were just seeing tons of walleyes down there, big ones too.  Think I might take up spearfishing.  :D
Grady
PS:  White twister tails jigged off the bottom on the way drifting with the current, trolling slow against the current with deep dive plugs like Reef Runner Rip Sticks or Shad Raps is working.  Bottom bouncers going either direction help keep the baits in the zone also. If you can't get the twisters down, switch to big white bucktails which you can either fish dry or tip with a worm.  Sorry, I should have given at least a little useful information for bagging eyes.  We are getting them!  They just drive us crazy when we can look right down and see the things laying there.

piscesman

« Reply #53 on: Aug 06, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Great report grady. Much more information than People generally give out. I will be there in 2 weeks From this weekend To get frustrated too. At least I will have a chance to get frustrated also. I will check them it is he where Morristown is. Have heard of it but not sure how far It is from Wellesley Island State Park. Again thanks for the great report. Tight lines for you The rest of the year.
Kim :bowdown: :bowdown: :flag: :flag: :flag:
      author unknown

grady95

« Reply #54 on: Aug 06, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Kim,
Jacques Cartier State Park is up Rt 12 about 30 minutes from the bridge at the end of Rt 81.  You can see the signs for that before the bridge.  One direction takes you around to the TI Bait Shop and the other goes toward Ogdensberg.  Go toward Ogdensberg.  After you pass the sign for Brier Hill, it's about 5 minutes farther and the park will be a left turn off Rt 12.  You'll see a sign, but won't have much time after you see it to make the turn so watch carefully.  There's a decent launch in the park and the depth is good for any size boat to get out and back.  Be ready to work in pretty fast water.  Bagging the boat to slow the drift is useless.  Just jig or bottom bounce when going with the current and slow troll against it.
We've been doing better at first light, last light and cloudy weather.  They scatter in mile high blue sky.  If it's like that, there's a nice 9 hole golf course a few miles up the road!
Knock 'em dead.  Let us know how you do.
Grady

piscesman

« Reply #55 on: Aug 11, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I called 1000 Island Bait to see if they had leeches. All out and none for rest of year. You need to bring your own if you want any to use. Unless there is another bait shop that carries them.
Kim
      author unknown

deggert60

« Reply #56 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Fished around boldt castle and picked up some decent LM and got bit off by some pike. After using all my shiners, found an island around deer island and hammered the perch, only problem was sifting through the small ones. Could have caught more but ran out of worms. Ended up with 25 perch over 8" and a couple 10" in an hour. It was 5 feet deep so you could try and pick out which ones you wanted. There were plenty more around but was sick of getting the smalls ones and left. Best perch day ive had during the summer in a long time

piscesman

« Reply #57 on: Aug 18, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Ran into a guy last year that was leaving for a few days then coming back up. He gave me some smaller minnows he used for perch. Had about 10 11"+ on a stringer and said it was a slow day for him. Only out for a few hours. He said Picton Island was his favorite spot. We went there but only caught smaller perch, bass and gobies. I will check to see where Deer Island is at. Targeting walleyes mainly but will try for others depending on what is biting our stuff. On a side note. Did anyone see the underwater fishing on YOU TUBE at 1000 Islands?? Great video. Can't believe how clear the water was at that depth. 5 days and counting.
      Kim :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :flag: :flag: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
      author unknown

deggert60

« Reply #58 on: Aug 18, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Yeah the water is very clear which is nice, I was able to see fish about 20 feet down, which is cool/annoying depending on if there biting ::). Ill check the video out

The Fishing Pole

« Reply #59 on: Aug 22, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Just spent another week at LOTI.  Strange week weather wise there.  The prevalent westerly winds were absent for the most part, replaced by some north to east light zephyrs.  One thing to note, the water temperature is around 70 degrees, down from the normal upper 70s to near 80 seen in recent years in August.  I feel fishing correspondingly was off also from norms this time of year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.