FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 5800 times)

stripernut

Sunglasses
« on: May 31, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I have posted this before, but for the new members... This info over the years is getting harder to find, but still worth the effort;

Dangerous Sunglasses

Something most people don't know is that there are many levels of UV protection for sun glasses. The two most common are Special Purpose and General Purpose, this is VERY miss leading, almost all the glass for sale will say 100% UV protection (even 400%), but the thing to know is that General Purpose(GP) is 65% to start with, or 100% of 65%. Special Purpose (SP) is 95% UV protection or 100% 0f 95%. Now you may think that at least I am getting some protection with the General Purpose (GP), but your eyes dilate when you wear sun glasses and YOU END UP WITH MORE UV DAMAGE, THAN IF YOU HAD NO SUN GLASSES ON AT ALL! These Sun Glasses are Dangerous to wear, if you or those you care about own them, throw them out! Price means nothing, I have bought $15. SP, and have seen $220. GP. I use to sell Sun Glasses and most manufacture reps don't under stand this, but will tell you that they are SP when they don't know! Look for it on the label and if it does not say it, don't assume that they are SP. no matter how much they cost. Please, it will be a long time before they figure out how to give you new ones!

squ1rr31_

• Wackin' Walters!
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:38 PM »
This is why I will spend good money on sunglasses. You get what you pay for. $5 gas station sunglasses are just that, garbage. You only get one set of eyes, take care of them!

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13 PM »
Just remember, spending the big bucks does not mean you get Special Purpose glasses...

slipbobber71

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Maui Jim's is the way to go and they are Made in the USA.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2014, 10:20 AM »
I'm a big fan of Costa Del Mar. And for cheapies, Suncloud sells decent glasses around $50.

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2014, 10:36 AM »
ive got the green maui jims glass lense this year, couldnt be happier. i cant wear plastic lenses regardless how well they work, one scratch and reds and greens turn black over a long day in the sun, i cant tell what color the bouys are if the lenses are no good

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Ocean Waves are great as well  8)

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2014, 01:08 PM »
So, all these glasses that you all like, how many of you have checked to see if they are Special Purpose and General Purpose?

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2014, 01:34 PM »
So, all these glasses that you all like, how many of you have checked to see if they are Special Purpose and General Purpose?

dont know and dont seem to see much on uy with the maui jims, i do know that the ht palm green lense has very little tint and yet my eyes dont hurt wearing them and im one that grew up with visine in my pocket. theres so little tint i can easily wear them indoors

williev18

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2014, 01:52 PM »

I am fairly new to all of this, and defiantly don't have a preferences yet, do you happen to have a list of glasses under say $50 that have the rating your talking about. I just bought my first pair of polarized glasses at LL-Bean for about $30. I can see into the glare of the water better, but I swear they make me sea sick when I wear them.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Sorry, I don't have a list and I wish I did. I have bought LL Bean glass that were SP, but they also sell ones that are GP... You have to research each line of glasses and that is not easy since most of the people you talk to don't know what you are talking about and many are more than willing to lie when asked... The info is getting harder to find also...

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2014, 06:56 AM »
from what im reading on this, special purpose is just that, for certain extreme conditions, climbing mount everest, high sun in the desert, maybe ice fishing on a sunny day on glare ice. they are NOT recommended for driving, useless in the woods, are not always polarized for fishing situations, to dark for overcast days even though the uv index may still be high so you will still need general purpose polarized sunglasses for most fishing situations so keep the sun behind you and wear a big hat ;D

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2014, 07:02 AM »
keep the sun behind you and wear a big hat ;D

Yep, you and I seem to have the hat thing down. I can't fish without it.

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2014, 07:11 AM »

I looked online but there is no reference to GP or SP anywhere on the web- just 100% UV. I checked Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar and then Suncloud then stopped. They all just say 100% of harmful UV rays.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2014, 12:40 PM »
from what im reading on this, special purpose is just that, for certain extreme conditions, climbing mount everest, high sun in the desert, maybe ice fishing on a sunny day on glare ice. they are NOT recommended for driving, useless in the woods, are not always polarized for fishing situations, to dark for overcast days even though the uv index may still be high so you will still need general purpose polarized sunglasses for most fishing situations so keep the sun behind you and wear a big hat grin

NO, Special Purpose is not just for extreme conditions, they are for any time you are out in the sun. Any time you put sunglasses on, your pupils dilate, letting in more damaging sunlight (UV RAYS).  Special Purpose Sunglasses are not necessarily darker, I owned a great pair of SP sunglasses that were yellow/amber that were Photochromic... Hard to find, but great for low light. Some how, years ago standards were written that allows them to say 100% UV protection, dependent on what category it is in. These standard use to be available to the public, but now you have to be a manufacturer to get them... Years ago In Fisherman they had a article on this and that is when I became aware of it, since then I have, on a few occasions spoken with techs that design and manufacture sun glasses and they were well aware of this. I agree that the past few years the information has become harder and harder to find, is that on purpose or because the public does not care about what "might be" in the future for their eyes? I don't know... If I was the the head of the Sunglass industry, I would do my best to bury this whole thing, make everyone in the industry use Special Purpose standards, before all the baby boomers start getting cataracts and calling their lawyers... I believe the first part of that may be happening, but like most things/Companies, the second part (making everyone use only use Special Purpose standard), might cut into profits and they could not have that...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.