FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 5799 times)

fishlessman

Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014, 01:12 PM »
NO, Special Purpose is not just for extreme conditions, they are for any time you are out in the sun. Any time you put sunglasses on, your pupils dilate, letting in more damaging sunlight (UV RAYS).  Special Purpose Sunglasses are not necessarily darker, I owned a great pair of SP sunglasses that were yellow/amber that were Photochromic... Hard to find, but great for low light. Some how, years ago standards were written that allows them to say 100% UV protection, dependent on what category it is in. These standard use to be available to the public, but now you have to be a manufacturer to get them... Years ago In Fisherman they had a article on this and that is when I became aware of it, since then I have, on a few occasions spoken with techs that design and manufacture sun glasses and they were well aware of this. I agree that the past few years the information has become harder and harder to find, is that on purpose or because the public does not care about what "might be" in the future for their eyes? I don't know... If I was the the head of the Sunglass industry, I would do my best to bury this whole thing, make everyone in the industry use Special Purpose standards, before all the baby boomers start getting cataracts and calling their lawyers... I believe the first part of that may be happening, but like most things/Companies, the second part (making everyone use only use Special Purpose standard), might cut into profits and they could not have that...

i emailed maui jim but i doubt they respond. ive been wearing sunglasses from sunup to sundown for nearly 40 years, ill be first in line with that lawsuit

robbi

« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2014, 11:56 PM »
I just emailed FishGillz with the info you provided and will wait to see what they have to say.  I just bought two pair from them for my fiance'.  I no longer wear sun glasses because I need prescription, so just wear photogray lenses.

slipbobber71

« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Stripernut what do you know about prescription sunglasses?  I don't wear contacts so I have to wear prescription shades 8).  I get the anti glare coating and they are polarized, that's all I really know about them.  Any info you have would be great. 

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you out there, but the few Optometrists that I spoke with knew little about this problem... I have over the years tried to get more info and I am sorry that I did not save what I had found in years past, but I did not think the info would not be available in the future... I can say, if the glasses are not "shaded" then you are no worst off wearing the glasses, as your pupils are not dilating...

Aluma duster

« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I have been searching I can't find any glasses that say SP on them

jibbs

« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2014, 08:20 AM »
i am a big wiley x fan...great glasses
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

robbi

« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Never heard back from FishGillz.........wonder what that means.......?

fishlessman

« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Never heard back from FishGillz.........wonder what that means.......?

no response from maui jim as well

canoeist

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Now buyers can look for a label to tell them the amount of protection nonprescription sunglasses provide. The new voluntary labeling program was developed by the United States Food and Drug Administration and the Sunglass Association of America, an industry group. Manufacturers who have adopted it label their sunglasses as cosmetic, general purpose or special purpose.
Advertisement
By definition, cosmetic sunglasses will block less than 60 percent of visible light, at least 70 percent of the sun's shorter ultraviolet B rays, and 20 percent of the longer ultraviolet A rays. Glasses in this category are the least protective and are best used for activities out of direct sunlight.

Sunglasses labeled general purpose will block 60-92 percent of visible light, at least 95 percent of UVB rays and at least 60 percent of UVA rays. These glasses are adequate for many outdoor activities in sunny areas, including driving and boating.

Special-purpose sunglasses will block at least 97 percent of visible light, at least 99 percent of UVB rays and 60 percent of UVA rays. These are the glasses to take to tropical beaches and wear on ski slopes.

Another variable is lens color. Gray, brown and green are the colors recommended by the Sunglass Association of America because they distort colors the least. Blue lenses are potentially dangerous, said the group's spokesman, Mauri Edwards, because they distort reds and greens and therefore are not safe to use in traffic.

Most sunglasses are made with plastic lenses. These are lighter and often more comfortable than those made of glass and are more resistant to impact.

All lenses, however, must meet the F.D.A.'s impact standards. That is why glass lenses tend to be thicker than plastic. The main drawback of plastic lenses is that they scratch more easily than glass unless they have a scratch-resistant coating.

For spending hours boating or fishing, mirrored lenses are good choices because they reduce glare very effectively. Polarized lenses, which are specially laminated, also appreciably reduce reflected glare from flat surfaces like roads or water, so are particularly suited for driving.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/17/style/consumer-s-world-coping-with-choosing-sunglasses.html

stripernut

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Thanks canoeist, it is to bad that they no longer put it on the glasses so that you can make a informed choice... That is what we get when it is only voluntary. That is from 1989, some good hunting!

stripernut

« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:18 AM »
By definition, cosmetic sunglasses will block less than 60 percent of visible light, at least 70 percent of the sun's shorter ultraviolet B rays, and 20 percent of the longer ultraviolet A rays. Glasses in this category are the least protective and are best used for activities out of direct sunlight.

Sunglasses labeled general purpose will block 60-92 percent of visible light, at least 95 percent of UVB rays and at least 60 percent of UVA rays. These glasses are adequate for many outdoor activities in sunny areas, including driving and boating.

Special-purpose sunglasses will block at least 97 percent of visible light, at least 99 percent of UVB rays and 60 percent of UVA rays. These are the glasses to take to tropical beaches and wear on ski slopes.

And yet they all have labels that read 100%... I think we will have to start writing letters to the FDA... Or maybe the our states Attorney General, many of them like to go after truth in advertizing cases...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.