FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: flourocarbon leader for braid?  (Read 1860 times)

ice-nut

flourocarbon leader for braid?
« on: Jun 17, 2014, 10:58 AM »
 am looking to use some braided line on my spinning reel for plastic  worm and jig fishing for bass.should I use some fluorocarbon line for a leader? iwas thinking about using spiderwire stealth 30 pound test with an 8 pound diameter does this sound like a good choice? not sure if I should use a leader or just tie the jigs or worm hooks directly to the braid? any info would sure help and be very appreciated.

jibbs

Re: flourocarbon leader for braid?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2014, 12:18 PM »
i would tie it directly to the braid...the downfall for  you is a deep shore hang up...there is no way to break that line without cutting it with scissors...might cost you a bunch of line if you get can't close the hang up...its not ideal for jigs or worms but i wouldn't bother messing with a flourocarbon leader..i will use a flouro leader on my shakey head setup which i only use when the bite is really tough and i am looking for finicky bass...hope this helps
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Maybe I got bad line but I just recently switched from mono to braid and have noticed that braid frays easily.  Some of the frays have made the line snap on hard hookset when I am in a lot of rocks or sticks.  If I get the hook into something and I pull on it it doesn't break but if the line itself is rest against something it seems to fray and then break.  I have been using a barrel swivel with a 3 foot section of 6-8lb floro now and I haven't had any issues.  I also agree that you can switch this up depending on how you are fishing.  I still tie the braid directly to top water frogs and other lures but when i am tossing soft plastics or jigs I tend to use floro.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Reel Force

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Sounds like a good set-up. Just bring a pair of old leather gloves for them hang -ups.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2014, 01:51 PM »
30lb sounds a bit heavy, I don't use floro leader unless water is really clear. I have been using spider wire stealth braid for years and I feel it has been far superior for abbresion. I tried power pro and hated it for this reason. i don't think it would ever hurt to use floro leader, just a little more work to tie up.
I use 20# braid for carp, and usually around 12 for everything else
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I use the braid/flouro setup on a number of my spinning rods.     My preferred set-up for that type of fishing is 10lb fireline (10lb test 6lb diameter) with a 20lb flouro leader.   I will substitute a 20lb big game for leader if I'm fishing around rocks.  I use a uni to uni connection for the knot between the mono and braid.  

eyedoktr

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Before you put 30 pound test on a spinning reel, be sure the reel is rated that high. I used to have lots of customers that ruined reels. They knew the line wouldn't break so they kept the drag to the max. When the drag wasn't strong enough to stop a fish or reel it in, they just held the spool in place and put more pressure on the fish. Crushed and exploded spools are the result.
Pete Lewis

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2014, 11:45 AM »
braid is great for topwater lures like popper, buzzbaits, and walking baits
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I use 30lb Power Pro on my bait caster and tie directly to the braid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.