FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trailer tires  (Read 5112 times)

montanaguy

Re: Trailer tires
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Robbi-I know exactly how you can solve that problem. Bring that Lund in to the boat show in Feb and I'll sell you a new Hewes. Guarantee to fix the problem.

cabrolet

« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I have the same issue on my Load Rite that hauls a Lund 1800ss,  the inner two bands are worn down.  I have noticed a slight sag in the axle.  My father gave me a great idea of sistering in a piece of square or round stock to the axle with U bolts.  I also want to sound the axle with a hammer to see if it is rotting from the inside.  He also mentioned taking apart the leaf springs and lubing em up with grease mixed with graphite ad this would keep each leaf moving independently from each other, as they tend to stick with age.  I run a 12" by 5.30 class C high speed rated at 1045 lbs which has me thinking I need a higher capacity tire.

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2014, 02:54 PM »
New axles are relatively cheap.
Do the job the right way.  Don't try bending an axle back in shape.
The camber will be off and you will still chew up tires.
Here's a link to a place where I bought a new axle and hubs for a small 16' boat I owned.
If you go this route, be sure to get the install kit.

http://www.easternmarine.com/

BTW, while you're there, check out the Super Lube Hub Wheel Kits.
In my opinion (and experience), these are the best out there for long distance boat hauling.
Bearing Buddies work but are messy and will blow the seals.
YMMV.

robbi

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Had a friend with this same problem last year and it was a weak axle.  Took my boat and trailer and had it checked.........yeah, slightly bent.  Was told they could bend it back into alignment, but there's no guarantee that it would last.  Other option.....step up to a new 3500 lb axle.  This is what I'm having done tomorrow.  If anyone in the Great Falls areas needs work, I'm impressed with the price and knowledge of the guys down at Electric City Brake.  With that said......I didn't price shop......want the boat back for the weekend, but, my friend that had it done last year did check around and this was a good deal. 

robbi

« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Had a friend with this same problem last year and it was a weak axle.  Took my boat and trailer and had it checked.........yeah, slightly bent.  Was told they could bend it back into alignment, but there's no guarantee that it would last.  Other option.....step up to a new 3500 lb axle.  This is what I'm having done tomorrow.  If anyone in the Great Falls areas needs work, I'm impressed with the price and knowledge of the guys down at Electric City Brake.  With that said......I didn't price shop......want the boat back for the weekend, but, my friend that had it done last year did check around and this was a good deal.

LOL........Jerry, you know I wouldn't trade my Lund for a Hewes unless I was moving to Alaska.......... ;D

Cabrolet........They talked to me about adding angle iron etc and told me it's a temporary fix and a lot of guys weld the pieces on.  Once you've done that it puts pressure on the spindles themselves and once they get bent you're pretty much out there.  New axle isn't outrageously expensive and to me worth it.

Attack.......Doing the job right so I don't have to go back is my way of thinking also........might have to look into those Hub Kits.......I use bearing buddies now.........

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2014, 07:38 PM »

Attack.......Doing the job right so I don't have to go back is my way of thinking also........might have to look into those Hub Kits.......I use bearing buddies now.........

Very good for you.
The trailer hauls your boat.
How much is your boat worth?
The trailer should be up to the task.

In their day, Bearing Buddies were the way to go.
Not these days.
There are oil bath hubs and the Super Lube Hubs.
Both are good.
I prefer the Super Lube.

Good luck.
Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2014, 07:40 PM »

wishin fishin

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2014, 02:55 PM »

Very good for you.
The trailer hauls your boat.
How much is your boat worth?
The trailer should be up to the task.

In their day, Bearing Buddies were the way to go.
Not these days.
There are oil bath hubs and the Super Lube Hubs.
Both are good.
I prefer the Super Lube.

Good luck.
Mac

wow guys i just went through this. i have a 18' lund with radial tires that are only a few years old. i also noticed that the tread on my inside tire was wearing bald with divets. i was told by the dealer all of what you mentioned but, i had one repair man tell me to measure your axel from the read cross bar. it turned out that one side was off about an 1 1/2''. so i took the boat off the trailer, jacked up the trailer  and realigned the axel so that the tirers are square. i think it worked, i don't feel any vibaration but i haven't put it on the road for the ultimate test. i did put on my spare and look to see the wear. hopefully this worked?

any suggestions.

Thanks

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2014, 03:55 PM »
wow guys i just went through this. i have a 18' lund with radial tires that are only a few years old. i also noticed that the tread on my inside tire was wearing bald with divets. i was told by the dealer all of what you mentioned but, i had one repair man tell me to measure your axel from the read cross bar. it turned out that one side was off about an 1 1/2''. so i took the boat off the trailer, jacked up the trailer  and realigned the axel so that the tirers are square. i think it worked, i don't feel any vibaration but i haven't put it on the road for the ultimate test. i did put on my spare and look to see the wear. hopefully this worked?

any suggestions.

Thanks

Your axle has been bent twice now (the original bend that happened from being over stressed by the load and the one you just did to correct it)
So now it's weaker than it was new.
(Bend a coat hanger back and forth and keep doing to see what happens - gets softer and eventually breaks)
Anyway, my point here is that the axle was unable to adequately support the boat from the start.
It now is even weaker.
I would get a new axle.
Why take a chance?
Like I said earlier, "What's your boat worth?".
You know where that axle will fail - 100 miles from home.

Here's a place to start -

http://www.easternmarine.com/

Good luck.

robbi

« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Cost me $383.00 parts and labor to get the new 3500 lb axle.  Since I'm on the road to the lake every weekend from April til October it was well worth the piece of mind.  Nothing can screw up a fishing trip like sitting on the side of the road for a day or so...........

Wishin Fishin...........I couldn't tell by what you said whether you actually had a bent axle or the U bolts just slipped.  Sometimes a good whack on the curb can pull you out of align, but a simple fix.  Mine.........not so much.....both tires on the inside says your axle is smiling at you........ 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.