FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Baitcasters  (Read 3124 times)

AON09

Baitcasters
« on: Jul 16, 2014, 12:03 AM »
Looking at upgrading my baitcaster combo, looking at an Okuma Citrix with an Okuma rod. Looking for some opinions on other reels and what weight and length rods work the best. Thanks!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
Re: Baitcasters
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I like lew's and shimano. I'd get one with a 6.3:1 gear ratio and a 7 ft medium heavy rod....pretty well rounded set ups. What kind of budget you working with? I got 2 13 rods, one wrights and mcgill and one irod.  I was looking at that same reel for a while because tackle warehouse had it on sale for really cheap but it had a lot of mixed reviews so I ended up spending the extra cash and grabbing a lew's tournament pro speed spool....now I'm selling my shimano's to replace them with lew's. Another great reel for the price is the daiwa tatula. That thing cast amazing, strong drag, and reels very smooth.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2014, 01:13 PM »
TO ME,THE key is WHAT works for you,, try them all ,and find out what  works
for YOU, this must be the key,because everybody is different
let me tell you about my father in law[with ALL THE SAME line,reel,rods and lures
i could not get the same fish or numbers of fish as he did,so we are all different
find out what works for you-THAT IS WHAT COUNTS-
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:16 PM »
I don't have tons of money, so I'm restricted on buying reels that cost less than about $110 for the most part...and I can say I've tried just alot of the metal framed casting reels in that price range. (I say metal framed, because graphite framed casting reels in that price range are not to be trusted for various reasons)

In terms of low-pro style, it just doesn't get any better than BPS extreme casting reels.   They are ROCK SOLID, aluminum frame, light weight, cast great and last forever.   They have tons of different models in different retrieve speeds, sizes and left or right handed.  I've had tons of experience with these reels as they have been the only casting reel I use for bass fishing now for about a decade.   Never had one fail, never had one miss a beat.

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Got a BPS NITRO baitcaster  ($100) and a Browning baitcaster ($84 on clearance from $140 at BPS)  Both work great.  Remember you get what you pay for.  Try Sportsmansguide.com they have some GREAT deals on reals.
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

AON09

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2014, 01:21 AM »
Thanks everyone! Has anyone used an abu garcia promax? Ik it's about an 80 dollar reel, have a buddy looking to get rid of one, and I also know someone getting rid of an okuma citrix

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:44 AM »
I'd spend the extra 20 bucks and get the bass pro shop pro qualifier. It has a dual breaking system.....All around smooth reel and decent caster. I had one and used it hard for 2 seasons, I gave it to my buddy and he still rocks it as his main reel. As far as the pro max goes, I wasn't a fan

Chowdaire

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:45 AM »
I tried a BPS carbon lite a couple years ago. I'm up to 3 of them now. The reels are solid, 3 brake system, and the rods are outstanding. Super light, sensitive. Better than any of my mid range St. Croix rods.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2014, 01:21 PM »
I had major issues with my carbonlite. Thing could cast crazy far but it was very rough

myemmy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Are you talking about reel bait caster such as phulger summits or supremes or mayby Shakespeare's. Just kidding oldies but goodies!

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2014, 07:50 PM »
lews.

BPS is junk.

Okuma is junk.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:12 AM »
lews.

BPS is junk.

Okuma is junk.
That's what I'm saying!

Flukeman

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2014, 08:21 PM »
In your price range you can't beat the BPS Pro Qualifier. It's also on sale 4 or 5 times a year for $79.  I have both BPS Pro Qualifiers and high end Abu's. Between my tournament fishing and being lucky enough to spend an extraordinary amount of time on the water I have put those Pro Qualifiers through their paces and never had a problem. The other perk to those, if you do get a lemon, you can take it right back to the store and they will hand you a new one.

Also, while at Gander today I saw one of the new Lew's on sale for $69. I have never used the new ones, but people seem to like them for the most part.

AON09

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Ok thanks everyone!

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2014, 09:26 PM »
lews sell's a baitcaster for $79 also that you can get for $60 brand new on ebay. Way better then the BPS pro qualifier junk.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.