FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleye beginer  (Read 4678 times)

Fishinwyo

• I need a bite!
walleye beginer
« on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:49 PM »
What is the best set up from the shore for walleye during the summer? I have tried worms but haven't had much luck. I fish wheatland #1 and have caught carp and catfish (not complaining about it) just would like to catch a walleye is all.

Thanks for your help.
Fishing is always better when you can get sun burnt!

hump

Re: walleye beginer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:20 PM »
1/2-3/4 oz weight, 24" leader, floating jig head orange or chartruse tipped with a leech!

perkhunter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2014, 12:52 AM »
minnows are also a good bet...where you can use them.  I have also done well on a slip bobber with a chartreuse/ orange/ pink jig head tipped with a leech or crawler.  Try to find the bottom and then move it a couple of feet off the bottom.  The bobber rig is best when there is a little wind...then again walleye fishing is always best when it is a little windy.

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2014, 09:28 AM »
What is the best set up from the shore for walleye during the summer? I have tried worms but haven't had much luck. I fish wheatland #1 and have caught carp and catfish (not complaining about it) just would like to catch a walleye is all.

Thanks for your help.

Walk the entire length of the dam casting a clakin' rap or rattle trap parallel to shore at sunset. Should pick up 6 walleye pretty easy. ;)
I like to fish for all fish!

Elkchaser

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2014, 04:40 PM »
What is the best way to rig minnow for shore fishing? and is it true that night is best?

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2014, 10:33 PM »
I like to hook them through the nose or make a Snell with two hooks and hook one through the nose and the other one under the dorsal this makes it so they do not come off as easy when casting them out. I like a Lindy style Snell that I add a float to so the minnow floats of the bottom up out of the rocks or weeds. I have caught walleye night or day. Glendo on Thursday we caught several walleye fifty feet of the shore in twelve to twenty two feet deep on harnesses but a jig or Lindy rig would have caught them from the shore as well. Some guys like to fish the shore tsar the wind is blowing into because it pushes the bait up against the shore and the predators follow them up and when the waves roll the bait the predator fish have an easier time catching the prey. Hope thus helps some.

Elkchaser

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2014, 03:47 PM »
It does help. thanks. Anyone ever use crayfish for bait?

307bassomatic

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2014, 10:15 AM »
It does help. thanks. Anyone ever use crayfish for bait?

I have had some luck using small crayfish on a jighead.  But generally minnows or leaches have outfished crayfish for me...although the big carp seem to really like crayfish tipped jigs

olefish

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I use crayfish  at night   and did very good years back.  The trick is to not have them bigger than an inch and even smaller.   Rigging them
make a 2 to 3 foot leader with a dropper that has the hook ( about 3 Use a size 4 to 6 wide gap type walleye hook ) 3 to 4 inches from the end/bottom of the leader
Use as small a foam type of float as possible and have it at the top of your lead next to the swivel..  You may have to use a knife to trim the float if it is to big
 You will need split shot for sinkers and pinch them on the line so there is just enough to sink the float and bait.  If it hangs up they can just pull off
I also use this same set up with minnows and other bait, you just adapt the size of setup to match the bait.  This is a great catfish rig at Boysen with  minnow's and bigger crayfish.. Good luck 
Again matching weights to float size is the key just enough weight to get the float to the bottom.
Also the float controls the bait from hanging you up

Fenwick307

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:01 PM »
I'm with the guy who said slip bobber and also with the guy who uses a trailer hook both ways will turn out more eyes

eosv

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2015, 07:01 PM »
I like to use wacky rigged leaches on a size 8 octopus hook fished 3-4' off bottom with a slip bobber. Also dorsal hooked minnows on a size 8 or 10 bleeding treble can be the ticket early in the year. Good luck!

TTipsword

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:07 PM »
flippin minnows off is a real bummer. I like the two hook setup..

Sucker Punch

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I've always been a huge fan of the floating jigs with a minnow. Rig up several snell style set ups with a barrel swivel for easy storage and accessibility. Parrot color but chartreuse is always a good bet also.

transmontanus

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Anybody have any tips on how to get the walleye on Alcova?  Seems like the usual methods have no effect on the walleye there.

akaakira

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Anybody have any tips on how to get the walleye on Alcova?  Seems like the usual methods have no effect on the walleye there.

I used to think Alcova was somehow different than other places too, but it's not... In fact, it has "text book" conditions for walleye as far as I'm concerned...at least for the main lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.