FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canadarago lake  (Read 2861 times)

rondog

Canadarago lake
« on: Jul 21, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Haven't been there in a few years,wondering how the Alewife population has affected the fishing.heading there on Sat.

Icedauber

Re: Canadarago lake
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Bring dynamite!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Haven't been there in a few years,wondering how the Alewife population has affected the fishing.heading there on Sat.
like you i have not fished this water in SEVERALS years
so, to me you must change and move till you finf the
what WORKS.--CHANGE,CHANGE.CHANGE till it works
and you get fish
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2014, 01:51 PM »
bass fishing's been pretty good.  I know what your after though...they are there, but good luck is about all I can say to that.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Was there this morning  to help my boss drop something at his dads camp....  There are dead perch everywhere...   >:(   His dad said when he talked to the DEC they were not sure but they think its lack of oxygen in the deeper water....   Cant wait to find out what its all about......
And my bosses father in law, who fishes it 4 or 5 times a week  (for walleye) says the walleye bite is nonexistent this summer...   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Was there this morning  to help my boss drop something at his dads camp....  There are dead perch everywhere...   >:(   His dad said when he talked to the DEC they were not sure but they think its lack of oxygen in the deeper water....   Cant wait to find out what its all about......
And my bosses father in law, who fishes it 4 or 5 times a week  (for walleye) says the walleye bite is nonexistent this summer...   
WHY--i think we should know,what is going on.--there has to be a reason
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2014, 06:40 PM »

haven't you been getting rain in that area if so the creek flowing in should do the trick don't you think?, with the cold long winter wouldn't that effect the oxygen levels more then ? now you have my curiosity up

TheSystem

• fish free or die
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2014, 07:18 PM »
Hey Guys.  I've been away form the 'net for a while.  Thanks to BigJim for alerting me to this thread!  Lots to answer here...
#1  The perch die off was a short term deal caused by a very rapid increase in water temp over those hot weeks in early july, which caused a depletion of oxygen, made worse by a bad algae (the good algae is allfintered out by alewives and zebras) bloom.  We sent several fish for testing, no virus found.  Bottom line is, the lake is much darker now, due to abundance of undesirable algae, which makes it attract temp and lose oxy much faster...consequences of years of not preventing invasive species (please join the lake assn. or donate to our lake steward program to prevent more!)
#2 walleye bit was VERY slow early on, it was an odd spring.  It picked up in June, but died off as oxy decreased.  The deep water where many of us have trolled is just plain devoid of oxy.  the shallower water is too warm for most 'eyes..making them sluggish.  to boot, we have a bumper crop of small perch (thanks ice fishermen who take buckets and buckets of 12" perch..)  and alewives for them  to feed on.
#3 walleye reproduction is almost 0%...I stocked 40k walleye the size of a paperclip in July..thats what the state figured was the most economical, and had the same success rate as the 4" fish, which I agree with.  That success rate is awfully close to 0.  Natural repro has been 0 for years due to alewive predation.  So walleye guys... use a little conservation, treat them like redwoods....what fish are in here now, are all that will be here for the foreseeable future.  I talked to a guy today who said he had 50 walleye in the freezer..all proud....I said, "why?....frozen fish aren't worth half what a fresh one is?" and he replied .."because I can catch em!".   That attitude will have the lake empty soon.
#4  Based on Gill netting and electro fishing surveys that I've been on, alewive count is slightly down, been decreasing for a year or two now, however, the ones that I'm finding on beaches, and even hitting rapalas, are nearing 12"...some big schools of big fish.  I can't give advice, but if I did I'd say kill em all and let the seagulls sort em out! 

PM's go right to me email, please PM me with any Cando questions, I'd love to fish with anybody here!
Canadarago Lake Improvement Association President

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up.. Was hoping you would be around and give us the facts...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rondog

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2014, 04:30 AM »
Thankx for the info,the future of the lake does not sound good if current conditions continue.

rondog

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2014, 04:31 AM »
bass fishing's been pretty good.  I know what your after though...they are there, but good luck is about all I can say to that.
You don't miss a trick , do you  ::)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2014, 02:42 PM »
You don't miss a trick , do you  ::)

I get around, Ronnie  8) 

OneidaAngler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Hey Guys.  I've been away form the 'net for a while.  Thanks to BigJim for alerting me to this thread!  Lots to answer here...
#1  The perch die off was a short term deal caused by a very rapid increase in water temp over those hot weeks in early july, which caused a depletion of oxygen, made worse by a bad algae (the good algae is allfintered out by alewives and zebras) bloom.  We sent several fish for testing, no virus found.  Bottom line is, the lake is much darker now, due to abundance of undesirable algae, which makes it attract temp and lose oxy much faster...consequences of years of not preventing invasive species (please join the lake assn. or donate to our lake steward program to prevent more!)
#2 walleye bit was VERY slow early on, it was an odd spring.  It picked up in June, but died off as oxy decreased.  The deep water where many of us have trolled is just plain devoid of oxy.  the shallower water is too warm for most 'eyes..making them sluggish.  to boot, we have a bumper crop of small perch (thanks ice fishermen who take buckets and buckets of 12" perch..)  and alewives for them  to feed on.
#3 walleye reproduction is almost 0%...I stocked 40k walleye the size of a paperclip in July..thats what the state figured was the most economical, and had the same success rate as the 4" fish, which I agree with.  That success rate is awfully close to 0.  Natural repro has been 0 for years due to alewive predation.  So walleye guys... use a little conservation, treat them like redwoods....what fish are in here now, are all that will be here for the foreseeable future.  I talked to a guy today who said he had 50 walleye in the freezer..all proud....I said, "why?....frozen fish aren't worth half what a fresh one is?" and he replied .."because I can catch em!".   That attitude will have the lake empty soon.
#4  Based on Gill netting and electro fishing surveys that I've been on, alewive count is slightly down, been decreasing for a year or two now, however, the ones that I'm finding on beaches, and even hitting rapalas, are nearing 12"...some big schools of big fish.  I can't give advice, but if I did I'd say kill em all and let the seagulls sort em out! 

PM's go right to me email, please PM me with any Cando questions, I'd love to fish with anybody here!

Great info. Sounds like the lake could use another alewive predator. I think the state should bring back the hybrid striped bass stocking program. They are an efficient predator upon open water baitfish like alewives. Although they wouldn't wipe out the alewives completely, they would take their numbers down quite a bit. Plus, the hybrid striped bass would tolerate low oxygen; I know people stock them in ponds in the Midwest, where low oxygenation is common. They look really fun to catch too. Have watched some In-Fisherman videos on them. I guess they're great eating too. Just some food for thought.

TheSystem

• fish free or die
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2014, 07:37 PM »
NYS's answer to our alewives is to increase walleye stocking - sounds great right!  They're in year 4 out of a 5 year commitment to stock 40,000 eyes per year.  However, depending on the time of year they come in, they are between 1" fry and 3" fingerlings....all pickerel bait in my eyes.  The stocking program has not shown a very high success rate in electrofishing surveys, gill netting surveys, nor angler reports.  So, while I really appreciate their support, I'm a little critical of the program.
While we're on the subject, I'm tossing around the idea of starting the Canadarago Lake Walleye Club.  Membership dues TBD, but all $ from dues and donations would go to purchasing farm raised walleye, much bigger in size and more likely to survive.  Would anybody on here be interested in something like that?
Canadarago Lake Improvement Association President

MBrown4

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I would be on board! Stocking of larger fish is a must even tho the perch pop just took a hit.id it just perch people are finding? Any estimates on how many?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.