FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: THE HUNT FOR PERCH  (Read 1801 times)

abishop

THE HUNT FOR PERCH
« on: Jul 21, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Started out by Mount Baldy this morning. Went over three hours without even a bite. Talked to at least 8 other boats with nothing. Saw 1 guy catch one in 12 fow. Fished from 12 to 34 fow only marked a few during this time. Decided to go west and look for this Black Ditch. Decided to fish with the next group of boats which was out from the dunes state park. Found about 5 around 8 inches. My partner told me that this black ditch was the creek that was on the east side of the park. I said I didn't think so. After another hour or so we decided to head further west Found a area that dropped off from 12 to 18 about a mile east of the doughnut. It was cast retrieve slowly and catch a fish. Almost every cast. A lot of sorting but I must of caught 75 fish to get my limit. We kept 2 limits but had to of caught over 120. Everything we kept was 9-13. Finally had enough around 4;00. On the way back I was determined to locate this hidden notorious BLACK DITCH. I believe I found it. It was a few miles east of the Dunes state park or just east of the PINK HOUSE. Which was still a good 3 miles west of Mount Baldy. I thought today was going to be a bust. We drove miles and miles and never marked but a couple fish here and there. And, they weren't biting. Guess most guys would of called it quites after a few hours and not finding any fish that would cooperate. I knew that this may be my last day to fish in a couple of weeks. So, we decided to make a day out of it. Had fun after the first 4 1/2 hours. All I could say is; it is nice to sit under a tarp when the sun is beating down. Looks like the wind comes back tomorrow and then a few days of north winds. Lets hope the perch are here to stay till the  kings drive them away in the fall. Good luck guys keep with it. Look for the depressions in structure to find the active fish.

Ice_Mike

Re: THE HUNT FOR PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Good going Al!
I might be up for some kind of fishing soon.
My hand is still swollen and arm still hurts. But it's only been 8 weeks :'(

wallin

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Al, black ditch is first indintation from harbor,  maybe a mile or so.
Congrats on finding them, it was 10:30  before we got our first.

Wallin

Bronzeback5

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Was out from 2-8pm.... Not much going on at Burns and nothing at the Doughnut.

Only had 1 fish at 5 pm from in front of black ditch. Another boat in front of ditch catchin a few but no luck for us.

Finally found fish at 6 pm and it was as fast as you could drop it down with alot of sorting. Fished till a lil after 7pm as i had a long ride back to Burns and i wanted to be on the road before dark.

One thing for sure, i need some electronics in my boat. I have 1999 Lowrance units and you can only see weeds if they are 3 ft off the bottom, not a chance in heck of marking fish. I really need to break down and get an Elite 7 or Hds 7. I get so frustrated being blind out there. Thats just too much water to cover in order to find some fish.

Took a few dips in the lake, got to run the boat awhile, and caught a little mess of fish so it was a win for me. Wife got a 12.5 so that was good also. :thumbup_smilie:

crappiehunter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2014, 05:43 AM »
Al sounds like you persevered and had a great day on the water!!  Black Ditch is very close to Mt Baldy just west of it. But those perch sure move around! Congrats on getting your limit!
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Well, if what I saw wasn't black ditch than I may of discovered a new secret spot. Looked like there was a  creek area with some water draining into the lake. Just west past a swimming area. Has anyone else seen this area? At least it has water flowing NOW not like the black ditch no one can find.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Way to hang in there Al.
Glad you finally found them.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Was out from 2-8pm.... Not much going on at Burns and nothing at the Doughnut.

Only had 1 fish at 5 pm from in front of black ditch. Another boat in front of ditch catchin a few but no luck for us.

Finally found fish at 6 pm and it was as fast as you could drop it down with alot of sorting. Fished till a lil after 7pm as i had a long ride back to Burns and i wanted to be on the road before dark.

One thing for sure, i need some electronics in my boat. I have 1999 Lowrance units and you can only see weeds if they are 3 ft off the bottom, not a chance in heck of marking fish. I really need to break down and get an Elite 7 or Hds 7. I get so frustrated being blind out there. Thats just too much water to cover in order to find some fish.

Took a few dips in the lake, got to run the boat awhile, and caught a little mess of fish so it was a win for me. Wife got a 12.5 so that was good also. :thumbup_smilie:
 Brandon, I feel your pain. One time this year I fished in the blind. Had wires crossed. Talk about going back to the dark ages. This was the first time for me without electronics in over 25 years. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Good going Al!
I might be up for some kind of fishing soon.
My hand is still swollen and arm still hurts. But it's only been 8 weeks :'(
Mike, I will give you a call in a couple of weeks. Maybe, I could put you on a few fish.

wallin

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Good job guys, got to keep moving on the pods, gald you got out.
Al, google M.C and you can find Black Ditch, other wise your Hopeless lol.
Shows it on my Fish Finder, not yours?
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Have an antique, tried to google black ditch , saw it one time I think.

abishop

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Good job guys, got to keep moving on the pods, gald you got out.
Al, google M.C and you can find Black Ditch, other wise your Hopeless lol.
Shows it on my Fish Finder, not yours?
I found a site that explains where they made the reservoirs to hold the run off water. But, I would like to see a actual pic of where it comes into Lake Michigan.

MC_angler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Way to go on sticking with it to find fish!

The creek just east of the State Park is Dunes Creek. It used to be underground by the parking lot, but a few years ago they "daylighted" it and rechannelized it and did some habitat work, and now it is a nice little stream. I understand the beach has far fewer issues with E coli now too

Ice_Mike

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Mike, I will give you a call in a couple of weeks. Maybe, I could put you on a few fish.
I'm in for that!
Wish I could have tagged along this spring when you were on the eyes :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.