FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Evening on the water  (Read 1924 times)

MGK

Great Evening on the water
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:25 AM »
I'm not much for fish stories but here comes one. Dad and I went muskie fishing yesterday evening for 3-4 hours before the downpours hit. It started off really slow with no follows or hits. We then found this one 100 yard stretch of river that was holding some fish. After a quick lure change, dad had one on that looked to be 18-20lbs. He got him to the boat once before the hook was spit. I then had one come right out from under boat and bump my lure while I was doing to figure 8. Not a huge fish but in the 10-12lbs range.For those of you who have never fished for muskies, they are the least boat shy fish I have ever seen. Nothing phases them if they want your lure. Next thing I know, Dad is hooked up again. Same thing as the one I saw, It came out from under the boat and hammered his lure on the figure 8. I got him in the net before he flopped and pulled the hook. (100% my fault) Another really nice fish that I would have put over 15lbs all day. Then came the craziest thing I've ever seen while muskie fishing. I was retrieving a cast and right before I started the figure 8, The biggest muskie either one of us has ever seen came out of nowhere and flat out missed my lure. He came in so fast and hard that he actually hit the boat head on. I wish I would have had my go pro rolling. The fish literally headbutted the boat and then swam away. I think he was on the plus side of 25lbs. Just a monster. Once again, I understand no pics = no fish but I thought I would share. It was a great time with dad even though we never actually handled a fish!
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

MarkNFish

Re: Great Evening on the water
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:31 AM »
You cannot convince me there are muskies in that river :-[

Welcome home Matt!

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:35 AM »
You cannot convince me there are muskies in that river :-[

Welcome home Matt!

At least last night, they are not where you'd think they'd be.

# SAND

JDK

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I got him in the net before he flopped and pulled the hook. (100% my fault)

Hard to soar like an eagle when.............
# SAND

teampar

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Welcome home Matt.....I would say the reason you lost the fish was because you are not used to a rod & reel anymore....Lot easier with nets!  ;D

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:03 AM »
That's a lot of action on a fish species that is supposed  to be "the fish of 10,000 casts" 8)  Congrats!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:02 AM »
wow your story makes me want to drive way up north and try for some of those beasts! sounds like an intense day,  Pike will do that same thing too they aren't boat shy at all, seen quite a few smaller sized 3-5 lb pike charge the boat like that and try to hammer your lure while your picking it up from the water.  I bet it's a whole new story when a 20 lb muskie does that tho!

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Good adventure Matt, glad to hear you're back on the water for a while with your dad. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

jacksmelt

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:23 PM »
my buddy glens boat got a nice dent from a 20lb+ muskie i was attempting to unhook. he started thrashing boat side and dented the boat w/ his head! they're a tough fish! then there was a 18-20lber i cracked on the head 2x"s w/ a  wood axe handle then came unhooked a swam away like nothing!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Sounds like a good way to come home Matt.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.