FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Derby on Lake George Next Year  (Read 2559 times)

CAPTJJ

Fishing Derby on Lake George Next Year
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 02:44 PM »
The King George Fishing Derby is scheduled to be held the weekend of July 10-12, 2015, prizes totaling $20,000 or more will be awarded for lake trout, bass and pike (with salmon to hopefully be added in the future if their numbers increase). The idea was started by Lake George Village Mayor Blais, with support from the Lake George Fishing Alliance, The Fund for Lake George and the LG Chamber of Commerce. Local officials and business owners want fishermen to come to Lake George, contrary to popular belief. While the derby is only in the planning stages, a great deal of interest has been shown already. A good deal of the prize money will come from local municipalities and groups, keeping registration fees lower.

Plans are to have a reception Friday evening; fishing Sat. and Sun.; a trade show/tackle swap Sat and Sun.; a barbecue with musical entertainment followed by fireworks Sat. evening; and an awards ceremony Sun. afternoon. We want to make it a family event, or you can just fish.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions? Would you attend? How much would you pay to enter? We are also looking for sponsors or anyone willing to help out.

rondog

Re: Fishing Derby on Lake George Next Year
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Jeff
Have they picked a launch and have they thought about waiving the LG. permit for the weekend ? Seems like the only place large enough to hold a bunch of boats would at Cedar point

CAPTJJ

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 04:41 PM »
We are trying to keep the costs down. The new launch at Million $ Beach will be open with free launching, we are trying to get the Bolton Launch to work with us, and Mossy Point in the North end is a free launch. Looking for weigh stations at the Village Docks (which will be reserved for derby participants), Bolton and Hague.

Most of the activities will be based at the new festival space at the old Gaslight Village, people will dock or trailer their boats and drive there.

I'm not sure a bout the LGPC stickers, that is a separate state agency and not sure what they can do, will definitely look into it. Good idea.

wellsley

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:38 PM »
What bothers me is not LGPC stickers, but the launch inspections. I'm all for the inspections but I think setting a time limit just penalized the fisherman. I'll be up 1st week in september and see how they handle it. I like to fish early and late. Last year I was off the water before the inspectors got to the launch, then they are gone by 5 o'clock before I get in at night. If I've got to wait to launch I'll be looking for a new lake to fish. I'm sure they will be there for the derby. I would be interested in seeing the derby regs. I personally don't like derbies I see alot of good fish taken only to be dumped back into the water dead.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

rondog

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2014, 04:29 AM »
[quote author=CAPTJJ link=topic=65130.msg680815#msg680815 date=1406583677

I'm not sure a bout the LGPC stickers, that is a separate state agency and not sure what they can do, will definitely look into it. Good idea.
[/quote]
For the boats that are coming to LG to fish this one event I'm sure it will be a consideration,An extra $30 + before they drop a line .With the Mayor,Chamber of commerce , Alliances and other support I'll bet they can push the right buttons.If this fly's ( and I'm sure it will ) It will be an good economic boost for the area . Will contestants be allowed to hire Guide/ Charters ?

FishinNY

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2014, 06:12 AM »
[quote author=CAPTJJ link=topic=65130.msg680815#msg680815 date=1406583677

For the boats that are coming to LG to fish this one event I'm sure it will be a consideration,An extra $30 + before they drop a line .With the Mayor,Chamber of commerce , Alliances and other support I'll bet they can push the right buttons.If this fly's ( and I'm sure it will ) It will be an good economic boost for the area . Will contestants be allowed to hire Guide/ Charters ?
If participants are allowed to fish with a guide/ on a charter, that would be a first I've ever heard of that. And I think it's asinine.
I am Muskies Inc.

rondog

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:25 AM »
If participants are allowed to fish with a guide/ on a charter, that would be a first I've ever heard of that. And I think it's asinine.
I have no interest in using a Guide/Charter but I'm sure someone will .
I think they do it all of the time in Lake Ontario ? 

fontona19

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Their are lots of tourneys were folks use guides/charters.  Especially ones when trolling is involved.

FishinNY

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2014, 03:45 AM »
Their are lots of tourneys were folks use guides/charters.  Especially ones when trolling is involved.
I'm not sure how you could feel as though YOU really landed a fish if it was one that would place. Theoretically, all the hard work is done for you. No sense of accomplishment if you ask me.
I am Muskies Inc.

ship of fools

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2014, 04:46 AM »
I have no interest in using a Guide/Charter but I'm sure someone will .
I think they do it all of the time in Lake Ontario ? 

They definitely do it on Ontario.

One of my friends runs a charter on the Hudson for Stripers and is booked for the Ale House derby every year.

ripple

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:09 AM »
While I will ice fish LG , I refuse to put my boat in there due to all the BS involved. Expensive launches, permits and so on. If they want to draw people to the open water then they need to make the lake accessible to the " working man".

Absolutely charters are used on large water bodies in tournaments. For someone who doesn't own a boat it allows them to be a part of the game.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:28 AM »
While I will ice fish LG , I refuse to put my boat in there due to all the BS involved. Expensive launches, permits and so on. If they want to draw people to the open water then they need to make the lake accessible to the " working man".

LOL.    The "working man" is only allowed on the lake when the bourgeois are not there.   How else do you expect them to keep the riff-raff like you and I out?

rondog

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2014, 11:23 AM »
MR.Riff-Raff :rotflol:

fontona19

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2014, 05:29 PM »
I'm not sure how you could feel as though YOU really landed a fish if it was one that would place. Theoretically, all the hard work is done for you. No sense of accomplishment if you ask me.

I totally see your point of view, but trolling is a team sport anyway. I bet a privateer wins this thing anyway if it does take off.

FishinNY

« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2014, 07:09 PM »
I guess hearing your guys opinions changes my point of view a little bit and can see a couple benefits for people who don't have a boat or maybe a participant who has special needs and has to have more help. For me, I have to figure it out on my own.
Sounds like the boat regs and fees are going to be an issue...
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.