FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone doing this?  (Read 2354 times)

robbi

Anyone doing this?
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I know I'm guilty of this.  Most times I never even think about it......but I suppose if I got stopped it'd cure me of it.  And like the article says.......I'm just keeping my fish fresh til I get home.  Suppose I should start throwing them in a cooler with ice instead.......of course who has ice left after the weekend........

http://helenair.com/news/local/five-inspection-stations-catch-anglers-transporting-live-fish/article_2b7b22ea-1619-11e4-a3fa-0019bb2963f4.html

Jim F

Re: Anyone doing this?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:41 AM »
bout the only fish I keep are kokanee, Macs, pike, & whitefish. They all get cracked over the head
with a bat and put on ice immediately

TJet Apprentice45

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Do fish actually stay alive in the summer riding home in the livewell?   Putting warm lake water in a confined space with no circulation then let the sun beat on it for the ride home sounds like a good way to ruin whatever you're bringing home.  x2 with Jim, knock them out and on ice.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

robbi

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:35 PM »
Mine do stay alive often, but many times when the fwp check them when we get off the lake, they die.  And yes, in the dead of summer, they don't normally make the 90 minutes.  Spring and fall though......very much alive when I get home.

montanaguy

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Anything we're going to keep goes under ice immediately. Always. Never any soft or smelly fish.

fishinwithbrittanies

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I used to let them ride home in the livewell.  Then I got worried about getting stopped.  Not that I had plans on putting them in another body of water but that's what FWP would be worried about.  Now I have a fillet board on board.  When the fishing gets slow we pull the meat off and leave the skins on, separate the fillets in ziplocs and put carcasses in a garbage bag until we get to the ramp.  That way (at least to my knowledge) your legal beagle transporting them.  It keeps the fillets really fresh and all you have to do is fillet off the skins when you get home.  It's really simplified my life because I always hate cleaning fish at the end of a long day.

robbi

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I'm thinking I'll follow your lead and clean them on the boat before coming in for the day.  Normally we're there Saturday and Sunday, so I clean Saturday's catch at the campsite, but Sunday's catch are the ones I allow to live in the livewell.........so guess I'll clean em and put em in the cooler for the trip home. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.