FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak help please  (Read 2608 times)

tightliner812

Kayak help please
« on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Ok guys a know a lot of you guy have one to fish from and know what you are doing . So I was wandering if you all could help me out . I'm looking at get my first one and have never been in one . I'm looking to get a cheep one to use duck hunting . Not of really hunt out of but more of a means of getting across the swamps that we hunt from time to time . And I'm sure I will end up fishing from it from time to time too . I think I really want a sit in so I can put my decoys and what not in it and pull it a little ways to get it the swamp from the truck . How much drifferince is there between the 8' and 10' models ? Is there anything I need to watch out for or stay a way from ?

crappiehunter

Re: Kayak help please
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I have a sit on type and love it. I'd think if you are duck hunting you want a sit on top to get in and out wearing hunting gear. This place might worth a trip to check out different kinds http://www.fluidfun.com
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:44 PM »
i have a NuCanoe and really like it.  They are a bit pricey though.  They are very stable though, and I can easily fish two people out of it.  If both people have good balance it is possible to both stand up in it.  Also, I can get back in it in the water in the event I ever fell out.  I have the Frontier 12 model.  The downside is they are kinda heavy, but manageable

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Been in a hunting one before. With 3 in it we couldn't tip it. Don't remember the name but there was plenty of room for 3 large boys a dog 3 guns and 2 bags of deeks.

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2014, 09:56 PM »
my advice is:  DON"T GO SHORT !  I would say a 10footer or longer would be best. Try to find a place you can "test drive" one first. My wife has one from Wilderness called a Pungo.  I don't think she could tip it if she tried.  It is either ten or eleven feet long. Easy to paddle too.

Hauling gear? Gun and shells might be easy. Dekes??? I don't think I would stack it on top of the deck. How about getting a concrete mixing tub from a home hardware store.  They are like small rectangular boats. Tie a rope to it and drag behind the kayak. (My brother and I use these on managed areas where we walk in. Store dekes in it then when empty, place your gun in it while waiting for daylight.)

Practice getting out of it - and waders will make it more interesting. Be sure to get good paddle and a life jacket. Life jacket needs to fit well under the arms.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2014, 10:50 PM »
my advice is:  DON"T GO SHORT !  I would say a 10footer or longer would be best. Try to find a place you can "test drive" one first. My wife has one from Wilderness called a Pungo.  I don't think she could tip it if she tried.  It is either ten or eleven feet long. Easy to paddle too.

Hauling gear? Gun and shells might be easy. Dekes??? I don't think I would stack it on top of the deck. How about getting a concrete mixing tub from a home hardware store.  They are like small rectangular boats. Tie a rope to it and drag behind the kayak. (My brother and I use these on managed areas where we walk in. Store dekes in it then when empty, place your gun in it while waiting for daylight.)

Practice getting out of it - and waders will make it more interesting. Be sure to get good paddle and a life jacket. Life jacket needs to fit well under the arms.

We use jet sleds all the time for chasin ducks. One marsh we hunt we run a canoe with 50 lb motor and put out riggers on it for better balance. Also use jet sleds for towing behind the quad and sleds ice fishing.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

dsqui

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:33 AM »
if it was me i would get a beavertail stealth they are made for duck hunting.  molded in gun rack holster thing and molded in decoy holder for i think 6 but the have a seat option of a second one look very stable and they also make blindrs for them in the event you like it and do want to huint from it.

http://www.explorebeavertail.com/sneakboats.html

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2014, 06:46 AM »
if it was me i would get a beavertail stealth they are made for duck hunting.  molded in gun rack holster thing and molded in decoy holder for i think 6 but the have a seat option of a second one look very stable and they also make blindrs for them in the event you like it and do want to huint from it.

http://www.explorebeavertail.com/sneakboats.html
[/qu     That is it, couldn't remember the name, stealth.

stinkybaits

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2014, 06:56 AM »
I have a sit on type and love it. I'd think if you are duck hunting you want a sit on top to get in and out wearing hunting gear. This place might worth a trip to check out different kinds http://www.fluidfun.com

I know my back would require a sit on top plus if it started to tip over could easily roll into the water maybe save it from completely flipping over. I've never seen anyone flip them though so probably not even a big issue.

rivereddy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Three years ago I bought an Old Town Vapor.  It's 10 ft long, camo, with a large cockpit.  I use it
to both fish and hunt ducks.  A disadvantage of a kayak for duck hunting is that you can't carry more
than a few dekes. An advantage, you can sneak up on birds and hide it just about anywhere.  If you
can manage getting in and out a cockpit is a little drier than a sot. I paid about 300 for it. 

I agree with the fellow that said go for the longer hull.  I actually have a shallower draft with my
16 ft canoe than with my yak.  An 8 footer will ride deeper in the water than a 10.  Longer hulls
also tend to be a bit more stable.

Fluid Fun up in Bristol is a great place run by enthusiastic and knowing folks. You will do well by them.
I was up there a couple of weeks ago and they had several camo yaks.

fish/duck on

Rivereddy

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2014, 11:08 PM »
I think that Fluid Fun may be where I got my and my wife's kayaks but they were at the Indianapolis Boat Sport and Travel Show.

Another thing to look for is a good seat. Be sure that it has good padding and is adjustable. Some seats are much better than others. You may be in that seat for hours at a time, worth looking at.

dsqui

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2014, 03:35 AM »
other then the stealth 2000 or 1200 ild look into other duck hunting kayaks like thehttp://www.creekboats.com/greentop_m80.htm orhttp://www.pokeboat.com/PokeHunting.htm these are just a few there are many duck hunting designed kayaks out there but my research lead me to the stealths and ill be purchasing one here real soon.  try contactin knutsons in brooklyn mi they may be able to stear you better being a big DH shop

MC_angler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:40 AM »
I would go with a sit-on-top, the NuCanoe Frontier probably being the best and most versatile, and carry a lot on it. Even 2 people. A bit heavy though.

My Jackson Cuda 12 could be a duck slaying boat very easily, could carry a dozen dekes on the back and a dozen in the front. And very stable.

Sit-on-top is the way to go for kayaks. If you swamp you can re-enter from the water safely. Not so with the cockpit style. Also the SOTs would offer a better shooting platform should you decide to hunt from the boat itself

hickgtx600f4

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2014, 08:14 AM »
The wife and I use a Old Town Otter tandem for duck hunting the swamps. It's a 14'4" cockpit style and I have been known to bring a lot out it the blinds. Usually the two of us in waders and full gear. Two guns, a blind bag, the our lab Ethel, and tow the Jetsled with a bag of decoys and a mojo in it. It paddles along great.

This tandem also has sliding seats that allow a single person to sit in the  back seat and slide forward to center our weight easily. As said earlier it's great for jump shooting ducks on twisting streams. Good luck.  8)

Felix

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.