FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another Centerpin Thread  (Read 7723 times)

waterwolf603

Another Centerpin Thread
« on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:56 AM »
I know guys im sorry i already looked at a few of the threads but had some questions so i figured maybe i could get a bunch of answers in one thread. i watched some basic stuff on youtube and it peeked my interest. i fly fish and spin fish but mostly fly fish when i fish the salmon river or oak orchard. centerpinning seems to be an extremely effective way to target steelies and browns so my questions for you experts are.

1.) how difficult is it to actually cast, is it similar to casting a spin reel in the sense that you hold the line on the back cast and let go as you go forward, and then hold the spool right before it hits the water to avoid a birds nest similar to baitcasting?

2.) how difficult is it to feather the spool whil fighting fish?

3.) is it only designed for float fishing? (from everything i have seen it is)

4.) do you use backing or line your reels with one size fluoro or mono?

5.)are there speciofic rods or is a float rod used for flyfishing sufficient enough?

thanks guys sorry to be a pain but this seems like it could be a ton of fun and super effective once the frustrations of learning has surpassed
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

waterwolf603

Re: Another Centerpin Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2014, 09:32 AM »
i watched some more videos and it seems like the go to cast for distance is the wallis or modified wallis cast. i also saw in one video you can side cast similar to a spinning reel. im sure it will take time to get used to but it did not seem that difficult from what i saw. i have an 11' switch rod right now would that be ok to use so i would only have to buy a reel and recommendations on diamters for steelies and browns?

waterwolf603

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2014, 12:59 PM »
well i was looking at OKUMA AVENTA CENTERPIN FLOAT FISHING REELS and for $150 ish it seems fairly reasonable anyone have any experience with these reels. i own a couple okuma spinning reels and have had them for years without issue. 61 views and no response come one now. guess ill keep talking to myself and post what i find in case anyone else is ever wondering.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:12 PM »
well i was looking at OKUMA AVENTA CENTERPIN FLOAT FISHING REELS and for $150 ish it seems fairly reasonable anyone have any experience with these reels. i own a couple okuma spinning reels and have had them for years without issue. 61 views and no response come one now. guess ill keep talking to myself and post what i find in case anyone else is ever wondering.

Haha I get frustrated with the lack of replies too.  I have been to the salmon river the last few years and have yet to land anything.  I wish I could give you some insight on center pin rods but I'm not the guy to talk to.  I'm sure someone out there will eventually respond.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

jeffmac85

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I have an aventa reel myself, it is an ok starter pin with a good price tag.   I'm not super impressed with the aventa rod though.   Not great quality in the cold.  If you want to match the aventa with a great value rod, bass pro has a browning 2 piece pin rod for about $120.  Trust me I own 3 3 piece pin rods and tthey are a pain in the ass.   My buddy with a 2 piece is in the water fishing while I'm still fumbling with mine lol

jeffmac85

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I have an okuma aventa, sheffield, and a raven classic if you have any questions I may be able to help.   To answer your questions, no it is nothing like casting a spin reel lol.  Takes a little better timing to cast a pin.  And there are a few casts you can do with a pin.   The easiest to use feeds line off the side of the reel similar to a spinning reel feeding from the top, this is the most simple pin cast and the only one I have been able to master lol.  But it leads to ridiculous line twist.   Another is the Wallis cast which spins the reel to feed line during the cast.  It is quite difficult to get right even still and I've been pinning for about 5 years now.   Palming the real isn't too difficult just be sure to guage  how much pressure to use as not to snap the leader or worse your rod

jeffmac85

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:22 PM »
And yes I do believe your 11 ft switch rod would double as a pin rod depending on the handle style I believe.  Just be careful because the balance may be off with a heavy centerpin reel which can get tiring on your arm from casting all day

waterwolf603

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:37 PM »
thank you guys it is much appreciated, i have been watching some videos today and it looks like something id like to try and get into even for around my area for bows, brookies, and salmon but i ideally want it for NY so i know i will probably need two different rigs eventually. i guess i also dont understand how the line gets twisted? it kind of seems l;ike you load the rod simialr to a fly rod too i dunno a bit confusing i guess i just have to try, do you have to stop the spool before it hits the water to prevent back spin?

westernmasshole yup you are right this place can be slow and frustrating when you know people are looking at the thread. salmon river kicks ass i recommend grabbing a fly rod and hitting the flyfishing only sections that is where i learned to fly fish and have had some decent success.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2014, 01:43 PM »
thank you guys it is much appreciated, i have been watching some videos today and it looks like something id like to try and get into even for around my area for bows, brookies, and salmon but i ideally want it for NY so i know i will probably need two different rigs eventually. i guess i also dont understand how the line gets twisted? it kind of seems l;ike you load the rod simialr to a fly rod too i dunno a bit confusing i guess i just have to try, do you have to stop the spool before it hits the water to prevent back spin?

westernmasshole yup you are right this place can be slow and frustrating when you know people are looking at the thread. salmon river kicks *** i recommend grabbing a fly rod and hitting the flyfishing only sections that is where i learned to fly fish and have had some decent success.

I already did.  It is a "low budget" rod and real outfit in an 8wt, specifically the Orvis Encounter outfit.  I didn't want to break the bank on a rod I will only use a few times a year.  It got great review so I'm hoping it performs like something more expensive.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

waterwolf603

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I already did.  It is a "low budget" rod and real outfit in an 8wt, specifically the Orvis Encounter outfit.  I didn't want to break the bank on a rod I will only use a few times a year.  It got great review so I'm hoping it performs like something more expensive.

yeah man you dont need anything too expensive i got like $160 okuma fly reel (cant remember the model) but i love it works great and i have a cheap $70 7wt switch rod from cabelas THAT I LOVE. no need to get too fancy unless you want to i finally broke down and got a TFO lefty Kreh 8 wt and ill take my cabelas rod over it anyday

waterwolf603

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:01 PM »
jeffmac what do you set up for line on your CP? 8lb fluoro backing with something like 6 lb fluoro leader? or mono backing and fluoro leader?

jeffmac85

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:54 PM »
I run siglon 8 lb mainline with a little 8 -10 lb mono backer because siglon is ridiculously expensive lol.   Tie on the smallest micro swivel you can find, then about 3-4 foot of 6-8 lb phantom fluorocarbon if you can find it, or drennan fluorocarbon is good too.   I run progressively smaller size shot all the way to about 18 inches from a pegged 8 -10 mm bead, then about another 1-1.5 inches to a #10 or#12 trout beads bead hook, they are the best and all I use.  I've caught 30+lb kings in the smallest #12 hook you've ever seen lol so don't ever think it's too small.  Even the #12 bead hooks are crazy strong, not cheap wire like most

jeffmac85

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Sorry if that was confusing.  Let me know if you don't understand what I just rambled off there.  Worst case I can take a picture of my setup for you after I get home from work.  And you are right about the salmon river.   It's about a 5 hour drive from me here in Buffalo but my 2 buddies and I take a trip there every year for the last three.  This year will be our 4th year but I think we are going to go in December this year.  The first three we came during the salmon run and although we caught a lot of fish and had a great time we are steelheaders at heart and the numbers just aren't there until the snow starts flying.  Right around Thanksgiving is the prime steelhead time according to every local I've talked with.   If you want probably the best source of information on both the salmon river and centerpin fishing lookup a member on here named Snagger.  He runs altmar outfitters and is a super nice guy.   He knows every part of that river like the back of his hand he has been fishing it since he was a kid, and been pinning almost that long lol.  He knows 100 times more about that fishery than anyone on here, no offense to the anglers on here, it's just a fact lol

MBrown4

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Just got my first pin this past winter. I got the sheffield.Nailed some steelies during spring and so far every fish I have hooked I have landed.even when they have blown the hole and I'm not able to get down any farther I have been able to work them back up. I had been practicing on an 11ft 6 inch browning noodle rod I used with a spinning reel and got the Wallis downish haha.it is hard and very frustrating but I was able to fish it.the. I purchased my 13ft croix float rod.it is so much different to cast.way harder with that extra length. As for fighting the fish I thought that when I saw the bobber drop the first time I would mess it all up.muscle memory kicked in from casting and I fought out a nice 28 inch hen.no issues what so ever you just have to realize how much pressure u can put on a fish

jeffmac85

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Sound advice mBrown.  Don't be afraid to go on a little walk with the fish either lol.  Too many people try to stand in one spot to land them.  If the fish decided to go up or down stream be prepared to go along but also make your presence known that you have a fish on.  MOST other anglers are courteous and will allow you to pass to land your fish.   And if not, karma will get them on the way out and with any luck they will fall and get a salmon river baptism that I'm all too familiar with lol.   I can't tell you how many times I slip and fall every time we go out lol, just gotta duck it up and fish on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.