FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another Centerpin Thread  (Read 7724 times)

MBrown4

Re: Another Centerpin Thread
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Oh I never mi d running like a mad man to gain a good angle but sometimes you have that tree down on the edge in your way and can't get past know what I mean? I those spots where you think oh no its over but manage to keep pressure on line high and get that sucker back to where u can work it

fishermantim4

« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2014, 06:50 PM »
I have fly reel backing in my Sheffield reel. I then run 8 lb CSX line. To a swivel  then attach fluorocarbon leader. I still have trouble with the fancy casts. But get it early take it out bass fishing or perch fishing. Somewhere you have lots of room to practice casting. Even an empty parking lot with about 3/8 ounce of weight you should be able cast effectively
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

rakerdave

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Try salmon crazy .com forum

waterwolf603

« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2014, 06:08 AM »
awesome thank you guys for all of the advice i am stoked and think ill pull the trigger ina  couple weeks. i think it will be super effective here in NH for bows and landlocks in our rivers and no one does it around here. so i figure ill get some practice before taking it to NY on the big rivers. Jeffmac yeah man i love th SR i did my first trip when i was 19 i landed a decent buck steelie around 9-10lbs a small brownie and a gorgeous domestic, i never got a picture of the domestic  so colored up nice kype i had my camera on the bank and the guy i went with wouldnt grab it for a pic and i was just a kid so i listened to him damnnn still eats me up prob the most beautiful fish i have ever caught. oh well ill be back i was doing 2-3 trips a yr but now have a newborn and a wife so i am hoping next fall i can sneak away for a trip as its been about 2 yrs since i have been up  >:(
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

fla..redfish

• freedom isn't free/ god bless our troops
« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2014, 08:30 AM »
salmon crazy archives is a good resource and centerpin talk. salmon crazy can be a little rough on newbies / centerpin talk not as much so. great info available
/

MBrown4

« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Talking about it and watching youtube vids has given me the itch.its just as bad as ice season.ill be hitting the river Saturday morning.well see

waterwolf603

« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Talking about it and watching youtube vids has given me the itch.its just as bad as ice season.ill be hitting the river Saturday morning.well see

right on! post some pics when you get some, i was just watching a video on how to peg beads haha knowledge is power. ill be trolling for brookies on sat but my next trip out in a month or so will be hitting the rivers around NH to try for bows, brookies, and salmon before the season closes with the cp i plan on getting in a few weeks. good luck and thanks again for the help

jeffmac85

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I was originally just breaking of a toothpick to peg my beads but within the last year or so a few companies have come out with tapered silicone rubber bead pegs.  They are awesome, they don't knick or fray the line at all and the bead slides easily.   I like the red ones cause they give the bead a small blood dot look

waterwolf603

« Reply #23 on: Aug 04, 2014, 08:10 AM »
cool thanks man!

update: i ordered my CP reel! i ordered the Okuma Aventa as it wouldnt completely break the bank haha so i am pretty pumped to start trying to cast and get out in a few weeks for some brookies, bows, and browns. i also ordered some raven floats i ordered 3 different styles for the water conditions in size 2. do you think that will be a good fit for fish in the 14-20" ish range?

MBrown4

« Reply #24 on: Aug 04, 2014, 11:21 AM »
You need different weight floats for different water conditions and shot patterns. Like 2s 4s 6s 8s. Also LEAD shot.i ordered raven shot on ebay.tin shot sucks! Learn patterns also.not to sound like I'm selling raven products but their website has the best pattern diagrams I've found.

stingdave9119

« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2014, 12:37 PM »
I've been pinning for 6yrs now and the more you do it the better everything will come. Yes it is ideally ment for float fishing but i have used it jigging for walleye on chatauqua lake, lazy carp fishing and just about any other way you can think of it. Your switch rod will work but i have noticed on mine that the reel is on the handle a little to far back when i tried it on my switch. Distance is all about form and having the right rod for the setup that you will be casting. I can do all the cast but prefer the side cast as i haven't had much problem with any line twist running pline cxx in 12lb as my mainline. i run regular fly line backing under that as filler and so that the mono does not bind the spool and warp it as once your reel as the touch out of center you'll be sol and having it run right. probably the 2 biggest things i notice on people is not paying enough attention to your shotline as a slight change in one or 2 shot placement can throw the whole drift off or tangle you on a cast and the 2nd is people letting it still float like a spinning reel and not trotting the float as an add on the new guys to trotting dont think about how trotting will also raise your bait offering and then you are fishing above the strike zone a lot of time and picking up a lot less fish than you actually could be getting into. with the shot just remember heavies section up top to lightest down low. find a pattern that you like and just learn to tweak in every situation you come along rather than trying to learn them all to start. me and my brother both use 2 different methods and they both work everywhere we have been.

waterwolf603

« Reply #26 on: Aug 04, 2014, 01:49 PM »
awesome thanks guys! i am pumped i ordered a few different colors of beads in 6 mm and size 12 egg hooks. i also plan on trying nymphs as well do you guys have any luck with this? the fly backing is a good idea and ill save some money by doing it too haha. do you have to stop the spool before your line hits the water when you cast so it doesnt create a birds nest?

waterwolf603

« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2014, 02:38 PM »
never mind i answered my own question haha here is a good video on the modified wallis cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHyQJIwP4w

waterwolf603

« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:00 PM »
a pretty cool article i found interesting, how many of you use swivels to help combat line twists or do most of you do line to line knots?

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/centerpin/articles/basic_rigging/

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:59 PM »
THIS IS REAL GREAT INFO. it has to help
thank you
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum