FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bait casting musky reel  (Read 2862 times)

dsqui

bait casting musky reel
« on: Jul 30, 2014, 09:22 PM »
im in the market for a new baitcaster for musky but im not sure which way to go round or low profile.  im kind of leaning towards the okumo komodo 350 with its 25 lb drag.  has anyone used this reel what did you think? what is everyone around here using and how do you like it??

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
Re: bait casting musky reel
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I've got 2 Abu NACL61's and a Lexa 400HL. They are extremely comfortable and very well built. The Abu is slightly more versatile having a drag clicker for the occasional trolling and sucker fishing.

dsqui

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2014, 03:41 PM »
i should probably be a little more specific as well im planing on using it for casting not trolling.  mostly large bucktails and bulldawgs.  leaning towards either a 7.5 or 8 heavy  action rod like the okumo musky series or a st croix mojo musky or premere musky. unless there are better options as far as rods go keep in mind ild also like to keep the whole setup around 3-400.  ive done some research online and havnt been able to find anything farely recent.  or anyhintg that dont seem to be like they are gettin paid to say it.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I sent you some mail. Hope it helps.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2014, 07:41 PM »
wallydiven, I have been looking at the Lexa 400 for heavy fresh water and light salt, how does it hold up to casting for a few hours? Is it a bit big? I don't want to hijack the post, but the question is along the same lines...

dsqui

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2014, 08:56 PM »
thanks wally you really helped out alot so waht all lakes you fishing over there im assuming you are over by warsaw area or atleast fish over there often with the high number of musky lakes around there

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2014, 08:57 PM »
wallydiven, I have been looking at the Lexa 400 for heavy fresh water and light salt, how does it hold up to casting for a few hours? Is it a bit big? I don't want to hijack the post, but the question is along the same lines...
Simply put, yes. It is a bit bigger. Heavier than the NACL yet lighter than the tranx. The Lexa has become my go to casting setup all this season. It's built like a tank (just like the tranx) but half the price. My 9'xh setup just seems to "fit" me very comfortably even after a 14+ hour day of casting. I'm running the 6.3-1 ratio and love it.

corny13

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2014, 08:59 PM »
My usual Muskie reels are Shimano Calcuttas but my "New" reel is a Shimano Tranx 500HG with the 6.6to1 gear ratio. Its held up to 3 seasons of casting.  These are the reels to burn big blades with.  Use the old calcuttas for the the plastics and jerk baits.  Check out tackle industries telescoping muskie rods... cheap and Well made  all I fish with now a days. They are in Le Mars, Iowa.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2014, 09:00 PM »
thanks wally you really helped out alot so waht all lakes you fishing over there im assuming you are over by warsaw area or atleast fish over there often with the high number of musky lakes around there
I fish Barbee Tippy and Webster area. Where are you from? I'd be more than happy to get you out and try my setups so you can get a feel for what you are looking for. Just give me a ring!

dsqui

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2014, 03:29 AM »
im up in angola we got ball over here that they stocked with muskies and i have fished skinner probably the most for them ive been to loon once and fished it. other then that it was leech lake MN but my grampa is old school all we ever did was troll im lookin to get into it a little more.  as long as it dont get in the way of my crappie fishing lol  ;D

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Have you squeezed the trigger on anything yet? If so, what did you decide on and how do you like it? Hope to get out your way soon to learn some new waters. Keep us posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.