FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Advice for tow vehicle/family ride  (Read 2001 times)

TheDL

Advice for tow vehicle/family ride
« on: Aug 05, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I currently have a 14' tinny I tow with a subaru outback.  It does the trick, but I need to get a new vehicle for my growing family.  Recently had a baby and will likely have one or two more coming in the next few years so an SUV/CUV/large wagon/minivan are options I see as far as family needs, but I will be upgrading the boat in the near future and don't want to have to buy a new vehicle to tow it.  I'm in the market for something like 16-20ft bow-rider as I fish back lakes for bass a lot but also enjoy hitting bigger water (bay of quinte, st lawrence river, calm days on lake O) for trolling.  I don't know much about towing other than don't push it on the manufacturers' tow rating and a lot of trailers are under spec'd for the boats they tow.

How much tow capacity should I be looking for to tow a boat like that?

I'd like to hear what you guys tow with, what you like and don't about your family-capable tow vehicles.  I tow a lot and sometimes driver 2 hours to a fishing hole.

Cheers!
tight lines....

stratos122

Re: Advice for tow vehicle/family ride
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I tow my 18 foot bass boat with a chevy astro van does everything i need it to and i use it for my work so it gets used alot. Its awd so pulling the boat up the ramp is no problem its decent on gas i travel between 2 to 3 hrs with it towing the boat. Lots of space in the back i took all the seats out as i need them out for work. But i also put a air matteress in the back so when im 2 or 3 hours from home i can sleep in it for the night and fish the same lake the next day. I did haul a open bow 18 renken with a caravan but it just felt like to much weight and didnt want to wreck the transmission because all my vans are used for work.

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2014, 10:39 AM »
i could possibly get away with a a 5000 pound tow capacity and a smaller vehicle like an fj cruiser but if your going to have a family with 2 or 3 children im thinking something bigger like a ford expedition or a gmc suburban, kids seem to pack an awful amount of stuff these days ;D my brothers grand cherokee gets packed to the roof traveling with 2 kids, they sometimes resort to 2 vehicles

cabrolet

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I have acToyota Highlander(2013).  V6, AWD, 5,000 lb towing cap, seats 6, has a few Bells and whistles. I tow a Lund 1800SS and it tows like a champ. There is a V4 option with a max tow weight of 2k,which is cheaper $.  This is my second Highlander, great vehicle and Toyota has great customer service so far.  And if you are in the military they give $1,000 off.  Vehicle comes with 24k or Two year warranty as well.  I know it is not American made but if domestic car company's made em as well as Toyota I'd buy one.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:43 PM »
I'll throw my approval on a Toyota Tacoma as well. The 4 door crew cab can actually make a fairly good family vehicle and it can tow 6500 lbs very well. I'm on my second one and it's been great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.