FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What do you consider a big pickerel?  (Read 5029 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: What do you consider a big pickerel?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 17, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Trophy size is really in the eye of the beholder, some lakes pickerel rarely get over 22" but I let the cat out of the bag,if you want trophies over 25 inches even pushing into 30+ inches, fish Delta..22inchers are common place and 25-28 inches are caught regularly It wouldn't surprise me if the next record came out of there... Here's a pic of my average catch of pickerel when fishing for Northern..

I think the smallest in that pic is 24,25 inches , I keep any of them over 24 that's about when you get a decent cut off them in my opinion...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: Aug 17, 2014, 06:07 PM »
nice  fish 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

FishinNY

« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Trophy size is really in the eye of the beholder, some lakes pickerel rarely get over 22" but I let the cat out of the bag,if you want trophies over 25 inches even pushing into 30+ inches, fish Delta..22inchers are common place and 25-28 inches are caught regularly It wouldn't surprise me if the next record came out of there... Here's a pic of my average catch of pickerel when fishing for Northern..

I think the smallest in that pic is 24,25 inches , I keep any of them over 24 that's about when you get a decent cut off them in my opinion...
Very nice! I would have to agree with you on Delta lake being a big producer. I think the next state record pike will come out of there too.
I am Muskies Inc.

ShaneO19

« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:09 PM »
If you combine both size and numbers, the north end of Cayuga has to be the best pickerel spot anywhere.  Unfortunately I feel it has hurt the bass population there but that's another story. 

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:25 PM »

GREAT,GREAT, fish keep up the good work.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

fishnutterbutter

« Reply #35 on: Aug 19, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I got some nice ones out of Oneida Lake this spring

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #36 on: Aug 19, 2014, 10:43 PM »

Yeah, Oneida has some good size slime darts, I don't know what it is, but they taste funny out of Oneida, Delta lake and Leland's pond they taste good out of,  but it must be the diet in oneida maybe because they forage on the white perch/bass ? or whatever they are called.. tried a couple side by side and there was a definate flavor diffidence....

But back to the original topic kinda sorta, Oneida definitely has some good size pickerel...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #37 on: Aug 20, 2014, 02:56 PM »

I would love to have them to pickle[pickerel are real good pickle the meat is sweet and NOT bones]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #39 on: Aug 21, 2014, 12:27 PM »
RAQUETTEDACKER
I HAVE NOT tryed that one, have you??

most times i salt the fish for several days to get the meat tought and brake down the bones
rat

greensider

« Reply #40 on: Aug 21, 2014, 07:50 PM »
i keep the ones that are just the legal limit of 15 inches and fillet them the bones in the smaller fish are gone when you fry them

Fishseeker

« Reply #41 on: Aug 21, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Cooking Pickerel or Pike in a Pressure Cooker also softens the bones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.