FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carpe Diem  (Read 4162 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Carpe Diem
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM »
are  those  rubber  nose  salmon?????

i  have  had  pickled  carp  before  ...... hey  europeans  can't  be  wrong  and  i  remeber   a  man  in my  area   shipping  alot  of  carp  to  new  york  city  ..... big  red  eat  one  of  them  and  tell us  what  ya  think

back during the depression, my grandfather used to help net the carp out of rice and red lakes in minnesota.   they would fill tanker cars on trains with them and send 'em to NYC, and get really good money for them.

stannard2

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2014, 09:30 PM »
has anyone used a pack bait when fishing for carp?  I made it last week and it worked fairly well.  I have someone telling the best thing to use for a binder is corn flour.  I can't find corn flour locally to save my life and don't want to have to order it.  Will anything else work as a binder? 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2014, 02:31 AM »
Here's my pack bait recipe,
2 c. Wheaties
3 c. King Arthur bread flour
1/2c. Corn meal
1/2 c. Nature valley  peanut butter protein mix ( it's kinda like granola)
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1 can creamed corn
1/4 c. black molasses

In a large bowl, mix and knead until a soft bread dough consistency.

Add more flour if necessary.

Roll into 1" balls and toss with corn meal to coat.

Bag and refrigerate or freeze.

Works great for a pack bait or chum.

All this stuff is available at a Walmart super store.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2014, 05:12 AM »
We used to use:  Equal parts white flour, yellow corn meal, enough dark Karo syrup to stick it all together.  Simple and effective.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

bigredfishing

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Our regular packbait is one container quick oats and one can of creamed corn with a handful of salt.    Use a little river water to get it to pack just right.   This weekend we tried something a little different, we used boiled birdseed, breadcrumbs, die cut oats and some of our hookbaits thrown in (maize) with a binder of instant mashed potatoes...and threw in a few amino acids and other carp stimulants to get them active.  

Chummed with this saturday night, then sunday packed it around our sinkers on every cast.

It worked very well, even got my dad a bunch of carp.  There were times we could only keep one rod in the water.

Reel Force

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Lance, I know that recipe ... lol   Here's a hint to make it even better. Go to any Dollar store, grab a box of the flavored quick oats. There like 8 or so packets - just add one packet to the mix ... they really seem to love strawberry.  :thumbup_smilie:

FISHNIK

« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2014, 12:13 PM »
I was wondering if carp get close to shore as we get into late summer early Fall?I'd like to try to hook one of these slobs on my flyrod.I'm going to be seeking them out in the bays of Lake Erie if thats possible,a little insight into this game would be great help,thanks.

FN

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I've had pretty good success with carp on the fly in the streams. Never tried to target them in open water. Seems it would be difficult to identify a feeding pod to cast to.

A good challenge for sure. Let us know how you make out.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perch-hound

« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2014, 01:47 PM »
When I was a kid I would target them in close to shore on cayuga lake, had a little 12' row boat that I would sneak
in on them with, throw a crayfish to one that was mudding things up, worked quite well. Usually the lake was fairly calm to a small chop.
Too much chop and the shoreline muddied up on it's own, and couldn't find the feeding ones.
I don't see why a fly wouldn't have worked just as well though.  :-\

Old Timer

« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2014, 01:52 PM »
has anyone used a pack bait when fishing for carp?  I made it last week and it worked fairly well.  I have someone telling the best thing to use for a binder is corn flour.  I can't find corn flour locally to save my life and don't want to have to order it.  Will anything else work as a binder? 

Just put some corn or corn meal in a blender..

bigredfishing

« Reply #25 on: Aug 25, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I was wondering if carp get close to shore as we get into late summer early Fall?I'd like to try to hook one of these slobs on my flyrod.I'm going to be seeking them out in the bays of Lake Erie if thats possible,a little insight into this game would be great help,thanks.

FN

check this out fly fishing for great lakes carp

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:18 AM »
Darn you Red, now I have to try another style of fishing. It looks very much like bone fishing the flats.

Rg

bigredfishing

« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Darn you Red, now I have to try another style of fishing. It looks very much like bone fishing the flats.

Rg

just be forewarned, it can be frustrating as hell  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:00 PM »
I'm aware. It took me several years to have success targeting them in streams. First challenge is to scout out some flats. Flies, equipment and technique are no problem. In fact, time isn't an issue either. This retirement thing is pretty good   ;D

Rg

bigredfishing

« Reply #29 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:21 AM »
This retirement thing is pretty good   ;D

#jealous!   I'll be there in 30 years  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.