FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly rod appraisal ?  (Read 4480 times)

shantysitter

Fly rod appraisal ?
« on: Aug 14, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Last summer I bought a Vince Cummings  custom fly rod. I really have no interest in using it and was thinking about giving it to my nephew. When I looked up Vince Cummings rods it seems like he was very reputable. My nephew is just starting out fly fishing and I don't want to give him something that might be broken the first time out. How do I find a value of this.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fly rod appraisal ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Model? Age? Pictures? Weight? Length?

I might be able to help.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

shantysitter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2014, 05:19 PM »
RG, the only thing it says is, Crown Graphite, FL285, line wt7, 8,5 length. I bought it at a yard sale last year, never really looked at it. The only reason I bought it was because I needed a metal tube to use when I travel. Have no idea how old it is.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2014, 12:10 PM »
My brother-in-law has a fly rod with Ted Williams name on it.
I haven't seen it, and can't tell if he meant signed by Ted, or if it was a line of rod & reels with Ted's name (like Bill Dance putting his name on a rod & reel combo).

I would like to see my BIL's rig to find out which it is.

As for appraising fishing tackle, it may require a little research and legwork to find a reputable appraiser in your area.
You can go online, but without having someone actually see and hold it, you can't get an accurate appraisal.

Good luck!

(You might want to start him out on a cheap Walmart combo to get him some "on line" experience! ;D
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2014, 03:44 PM »
RG, the only thing it says is, Crown Graphite, FL285, line wt7, 8,5 length. I bought it at a yard sale last year, never really looked at it. The only reason I bought it was because I needed a metal tube to use when I travel. Have no idea how old it is.

Don't use that tube just yet. Can you provide pictures? You might just have something special......or not. The rod has no other markings?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

shantysitter

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2014, 04:29 PM »
RG don't know how to post pictures on here, if you could pm me your email address I could send them that way

BJ

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2014, 06:40 PM »
My buddy found one in a house he bought and just asked about it on google after giving the info. Pretty helpful. Good luck.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Pm sent.

Rg

shantysitter

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Did you receive the pictures?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Not yet.
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2014, 02:59 AM »
Got your pictures  bud. I wouldn't give that to your son just yet. From what I saw its a very collectible rod in good condition. Save it for him til he can appreciate it better. Cummings rods were very well built and are sought after by the vintage fly fishing crowd. I'd guess it would be a dream to cast.

Nice find!

Rg

shantysitter

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Well worth the $5.00 then

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I'll give you $10  ;D

Rg

fishlessman

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:38 PM »
does it say Vince Cummings on the rod or just the tube, i believe crown was on cortland rods and i dont see it on any cummings rods when i google it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2014, 06:10 PM »
It's the real McCoy. Made for a specific individual. Probably an IM-6 graphite glass blank, and very nice at that. My old pfleuger  president is about the same vintage and blank. Love that rod.

Maybe I should offer $15  ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.