FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling using swivels or clips  (Read 2440 times)

JMZ

Trolling using swivels or clips
« on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:42 AM »
I know this topic was discussed but I read mixed opinions of when to use a swivel or clip. I troll using dipsy divers and use spoons and hard bait. I alway thought you should not use a swivel with a spoon because it will spin. So, I use a clip. Am I correct? I use a swivel with hard bait because I don't think it will spin but I think the swivel gives it better action. I've read a bunch or trolling articles and none mention this situation.
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

Doubles Shooter

Re: Trolling using swivels or clips
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2014, 04:35 AM »
You should use swivels with spoons because they do spin on occasion and the swivel helps prevent line twist. I use plain clips on plugs because I don't want all that extra hardware in front of my plugs. The clips allow for free movement of the plug.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2014, 05:46 AM »
I to use a barrel up a few ft of my lead core at the spoon I run duo lock on the spoon on my plugs casting or trolling I run a duo lock only

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2014, 06:09 AM »
I to use a barrel up a few ft of my lead core at the spoon I run duo lock on the spoon on my plugs casting or trolling I run a duo lock only

X2

Except, a good quality Ball Bearing Swivel (like a Sampo or Spro) works so much better and a barrel Swivel hardly at all...

One more thing, when we have this discussion about Swivels, we should try to make it clear the difference between a Snap Swivel or just a Swivel...

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:18 AM »
X2

Except, a good quality Ball Bearing Swivel (like a Sampo or Spro) works so much better and a barrel Swivel hardly at all...

One more thing, when we have this discussion about Swivels, we should try to make it clear the difference between a Snap Swivel or just a Swivel...

oops how true that is , glad you caught that , I must be getting a little senile , good spot stripernut :bowdown:

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:18 AM »
My troll setup is fairly simple, mainline of either 18# leadcore or 12# mono for the downriggers, then a very small Spro ball bearing swivel, probably the smallest they make, then 30' of flouro leader in weights that vary depending on my targets. I tie my spoons/flies/sewing needles directly to the leader.

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:02 PM »
most of my trolling lures have split rings on them, i tie a loop knot on the split ring and slide that loop on and off the ring when changing lures. swivel is 6 feet up the line

JMZ

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2014, 11:40 PM »
Thanks guys.
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.