FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak Striper Shootout  (Read 1520 times)

Baitbucket

Kayak Striper Shootout
« on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:27 PM »
This past weekend was the New England Kayak Fishing Striper Shootout Tourney. And while i didnt place, i did catch quite a few fish.

I met up with my buddy Shawn on Winter Island around 9:30am on Friday. We met Tom, his wife, and their friend Erick while setting up. Thank god to, otherwise we may still be setting up our tent lol. Once we got setup our plan was to go out and scout for bait and fish till the tournament started. We were setup and on the water around noon time. We shot back in and landed around 4:30 to get over to the registration area.

After registering the 5 of us headed out. After about 5hrs and no hits we decided to head back in for a quick nap before the next tide.

2am rolls around (got roughly 2-3hrs of sleep) and Shawn and I are up and heading out. After about 7 hours I manged to land a schoolie, a 30", and a fiesty 32", all on my home made tube. Its a good feeling landing fish on something you made. We tried live eels and couldnt get a sniff. Shawn was battling the skunk at this point. We landed at about 9am and there was time for a quick nap before a Cod seminar. I opted to skip this for a longer (3hr) nap, before I had to be up for the next tide.

2pm hits and the crew was still out at the seminar. So i was off for a solo trip. It started out fast with 2 or 3 schoolies and another feisty 30" fish. The action continued into the night with a total of 11 fish landed. Most were schoolies with a couple 30" fish mixed in. After 8 hrs I was back at the launch and ready for some food and another 3hr nap before the next tide.

At this point Shawn hadn't landed a fish. So i pulled out some material I brought with me and tied up a tube like mine for him to use the next day.

2am hits and we are back on the water. It took a couple hours to find them but we did. Or should I say Shawn did, hooking up to his first fish of the trip on the tube i made a few hours before, a decent mid 20s fish. Our luck continued for the better part of the morning and we both ended up with about a half dozen mid 20's fish. I contacted Tom and gave them our location, he too was battling the skunk and I was hoping he could get in on the action. Shortly after meeting up he had his first fish of the trip. At one point Shawn decided he wanted to sight fish with a popper. So he stood up on his yak and took a cast. All of which I got on video posted below. It was pretty cool to watch. We were back in at 9am  to start packing up for the 11am check out, rounding off a nice 7hr trip. All in all we fish about 31hrs and landed quite a few fish.

Here are some pics i got with my phone, Shawn has the others on his camera, and the video of Shawn sight fishing with his popper (be sure to click on the little gear on the bottom right and up the quality). Ill get the other pics up when i get them.

My 32"

1 of many schoolies

1 of the 3 or 4 i had around 30"

Shawns vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diJ-vZpr_0g

stripernut

Re: Kayak Striper Shootout
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:35 PM »
Looked like a great time! Thanks for the cool video and post!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Way to go Will. looks like it was fun.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Dana

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Nice Adventure!
Glenn, get the net!

Bass to mouth

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2014, 03:45 PM »
That sounds like a great time, what is the name of that camp site you were on? camping at the ocean, I wanna do that.

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Winter Island has camping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.