FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just can't seem to find the pike yet  (Read 2749 times)

FishinNY

Just can't seem to find the pike yet
« on: Aug 23, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I would think the pike would have started to transition back toward the 8-12 ft range with the cooler temps we have had. The water temp is now below 70. I've tried all of my knowledge at them out deep and off the outer edges of the weed beds. Can't seem to figure them out.  ???
I am Muskies Inc.

smokemetallic

Re: Just can't seem to find the pike yet
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2014, 02:08 PM »
We are currently catching them between 23 and 26 feet deep. Water temp lower 70's. If your lake has a thermocline and you know it's depth try getting lures down to the top edge of it. If it's a prime time bite they will come up out of temp though, especially of its windy. Sunrise to 9am, 430pm to 630pm have been the windows they have been biting for us.

FishinNY

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Are you trolling or jigging to get down to that depth?
I am Muskies Inc.

smokemetallic

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Trolling, rapala deep tail dancers , and down deep husky jerks, if they are a little shallower. Reef runners work well also.

FishinNY

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2014, 03:43 AM »
Thanks for the help. I'm hoping the temps come down soon. I'm ready to be casting for them again.
I am Muskies Inc.

johnny b jiggin

• "drop em down, crank em up, let em hang"
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Do tigers count as pike?   ;D   ;D

25ft deep.....bottom bouncin an erie dearie tipped with a dead shiner......last Tues evening around 630pm....

FishinNY

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:22 AM »
Very nice fish! I love the marking on a tiger. I will be going to my go to lake for them soon as well. I've caught them on the ice but hoping to get one casting for the first time this fall.
I am Muskies Inc.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2014, 01:47 PM »

25ft deep.....bottom bouncin an erie dearie tipped with a dead shiner......last Tues evening around 630pm....

ONE HELL OF A NICE FISH.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2014, 01:51 PM »

YOU MUST TELL HOW. that what this forum is all about[how to get them]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

greensider

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2014, 03:21 PM »
they dont all go deep i fing more pike in 2 feet of water mid summer where thr springs and reeder streams come in

FishinNY

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Headed out to sacandaga in the morning to give it a shot.
I am Muskies Inc.

jimp

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2014, 05:36 AM »
Got a 30 incher in Delta on Monday nite.  it was around 12 foot of water weedbed.   Lots of little guys in there doing the pike rush and stop to look at my lure.   Tons of baitfish everywhere and lots of small perch.   

FishinNY

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:38 AM »
We will be on delta tmrw. Hopefully the luck will be better than ours today on sacandaga.  But the day is far from over...
I am Muskies Inc.

FishinNY

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Got a 30 incher in Delta on Monday nite.  it was around 12 foot of water weedbed.   Lots of little guys in there doing the pike rush and stop to look at my lure.   Tons of baitfish everywhere and lots of small perch.   
I see what you mean about the bait fish. If there are weeds around, they are there. Like you said, lots of small perch too. I was watching the schools for a while and noticed what appeared to be a small pike suspended by itself. As I looked closer I noticed it appeared to have the markings of a tiger muskie? My friend caught one hammer handle but he is using bass size baits. I'm after to bigger fish so we will see what tonight brings. Although big baits don't mean anything. I landed a small mouth on my giant killer spinner on sacandaga at dark last night...
I am Muskies Inc.

jimp

« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I see what you mean about the bait fish. If there are weeds around, they are there. Like you said, lots of small perch too. I was watching the schools for a while and noticed what appeared to be a small pike suspended by itself. As I looked closer I noticed it appeared to have the markings of a tiger muskie? My friend caught one hammer handle but he is using bass size baits. I'm after to bigger fish so we will see what tonight brings. Although big baits don't mean anything. I landed a small mouth on my giant killer spinner on sacandaga at dark last night...

How did you end  up doing ?   May be heading out tomorrow.  Big silver spinners for us.  I grew up on the St. Lawrence and I absolutely LOVE Pike fishing.  I don's know how to post a pic or I'd show you the cute little 30 incher from monday.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.