FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leader length for leadcore  (Read 4127 times)

JMZ

Leader length for leadcore
« on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Can someone recommend the length of line for the leader on a leadcore trolling setup. I use an old mitchell 300 which came with a spool that held 300 yds of line. I can get about 30 yards of leadcore on it , but it must me hand fed out 6ft at a time. Someone recommended 30 to 50 ft of leader; but that would be difficult to feed. Any recommendations?
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

NoGood

Re: Leader length for leadcore
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Can someone recommend the length of line for the leader on a leadcore trolling setup. I use an old mitchell 300 which came with a spool that held 300 yds of line. I can get about 30 yards of leadcore on it , but it must me hand fed out 6ft at a time. Someone recommended 30 to 50 ft of leader; but that would be difficult to feed. Any recommendations?

First a Mitchell 300 is a spinning reel and are not designed for leadcore.. Get yourself a level wind reel, something similar to a Penn 209, you can find a combo for about 79 - 99 bucks, reel itself for about 40. I run a 10 -12ft leader.

fishkiller007

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:37 PM »
For my leadcore setup, i usually have my leader about double the length of my rod. So maybe 12-18 ft leaders depending on your rod length. This is usually perfect for trolling for lake trout and landlocked salmon.
Don't fear the fish

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2014, 07:13 AM »

First a Mitchell 300 is a spinning reel and are not designed for leadcore.. Get yourself a level wind reel, something similar to a Penn 209, you can find a combo for about 79 - 99 bucks, reel itself for about 40. I run a 10 -12ft leader.

Correct!
A spinning real also imparts line twist.
Especially when the line comes off against the drag.

I have 100' of leader on my leadcore rods.
WAY too much!!!
By the time I get the lead off the spool the lure is 350' back.
 :rotflol:

Been meaning to cut it back to 20-25'
Maybe I'll go 15' instead

Thanks guys.
Mac

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Diddo on the level whind reel I run 12-15' of leader , and don't forget a good barrel swivel for line twist reduction ,

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:31 AM »
30 yard of leadcore is pretty much useless. You'd be better off using mono and a lead keel weight to get your presentation down if you want to coldwater fish with a spinning setup.

My leadcore setup is about 150 feet of nylon backer, 12 colors of lead (probably 120 yards or so?) then a tiny eye to eye swivel and about 30' of flourocarbon leader. It's all on a moocher style reel.

jeffmac85

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Spinning reels do no impart line twist when fed with the drag on.   Watch the reel as you pull the line against the drag, it feed straight off the spool.  The twist comes from feeding line quickly off the top of the spool with the bail open, like when casting or bottom bouncing egg sacs with your bail open.  As the loops of lone come off the top of the reel they straighten out and create line twist.  I have the same problem with my centerpin reel due to side casting.  When I cast the line comes off the left side of the reel in the same fashion that it comes off the top of a spinning reel when casting.   Just trying to clarify.  But they are correct, lead core on a spinning reel is useless.  30 yards of lead core will only put you at 15 ft down at 1 mph, less as your speed increases, you can get a similar depth with a snap weight or even rubber band a 1/2-1 oz bank sinker on your mainline.   Level winds are the only way to fly when it comes to leadcore, trust me save yourself the hassle with twists and kinks in your lead core (Which can be disastrous)     get on Craigslist and pick up a couple Penn 209's. They are bulletproof

jeffmac85

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Leader length I think depends a lot on the water you are fishing also.   Slow finicky walleye presentations usually require a little longer leader, and definitely fluorocarbon for stealth, around 15'-25'.  If you are trout and salmon trolling over 2+ mph then shorter leader lengths and even nice strong mono is fine, usually 10'-15'.  Also keep in mind that one of the reasons leadcore is so effective is the long slow undulations it makes in the water.  If your lead is too long it absorbs these undulations and they are not transfered properly to the baits.  Also, longer leaders=more line stretch which alot of times can lead to lost fish especially walleyes when the hooks open gaping holes in their lips.  A little excessive stretch in the line and the hooks pop right out

jeffmac85

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I like the idea of leadcore on a mooching reel.  I never thought of that.  Been thinking of picking up a couple for the downriggers cause I love my centerpin so much.  How does the leadcore feed off of them?  Coincidentally what reels are you running?  I've been looking at the diawa and shimano moochers because the price is good lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Spinning reels do no impart line twist when fed with the drag on.   Watch the reel as you pull the line against the drag, it feed straight off the spool.  The twist comes from feeding line quickly off the top of the spool with the bail open, like when casting or bottom bouncing egg sacs with your bail open.  As the loops of lone come off the top of the reel they straighten out and create line twist.  I have the same problem with my centerpin reel due to side casting.  When I cast the line comes off the left side of the reel in the same fashion that it comes off the top of a spinning reel when casting.   Just trying to clarify.  But they are correct, lead core on a spinning reel is useless.  30 yards of lead core will only put you at 15 ft down at 1 mph, less as your speed increases, you can get a similar depth with a snap weight or even rubber band a 1/2-1 oz bank sinker on your mainline.   Level winds are the only way to fly when it comes to leadcore, trust me save yourself the hassle with twists and kinks in your lead core (Which can be disastrous)     get on Craigslist and pick up a couple Penn 209's. They are bulletproof

You went to college.
Spell like it.

8)

Otherwise, your post is spot on.
Thanks Jeff.

jeffmac85

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Maybe when your boat gets a little salmon blood in it ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.